insider9

Changing Honda Civic for Alfa Romeo, or..?!

Recommended Posts

My Civic has done 21k miles since 1st September and has been faultless. I had a windscreen seal that came off (glued in), exhaust heatshield flapping (took it off) and exhaust fitting loose (welded). Other than that it's been great. I know transmission will need doing at some point. 

I often push it to rev limiter. Often go 120mph. It's a really fun car to drive and with driving like this as well as normal driving (it happens) it delivers 40mpg.

So why am I considering a change

1) Ride comfort isn't that great especially when I'm tired. No way to relax too much in a car. Stiff suspension and a hard seat. 

2) Fuel economy is very good however with a high mileage I know I could do better. 

3) It's only 138bhp 😁

Ideally I'd like something that's within £3k second hand

A) fun to drive and is exciting 

B) isn't heavy on fuel 

C) slightly more comfortable on longer journeys 

D) accelerates even better 

I looked at all the above and one car is a strong contender. Alfa Romeo Giulietta.... Just gorgeous and 2.0 JTDM should be very economic. Sadly not much gains in terms of acceleration. 

Another contender would be BMW Series 1 (120d)

Any thoughts? Advice? 

What do you guy think of the Alfa? Am I mad even considering swapping Japanese car for Alfa... Or am I better off remapping my Civic and investing in some cushions 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Honest john says 

Alfa Romeo has a great reputation for building beautiful cars. However, while it's well known for good-looking cars, Alfa also has another reputation - for poor reliability. This dogged the brand for years and even now there are plenty of people who would rather stick to a Japanese make or something from Volkswagen.

That's a real shame as Alfa Romeo has been working very hard in recent years to improve the quality and durability of its cars. And this hard work is paying off. The perception of Alfa Romeo is slowly changing and cars like Giulietta have helped immensely.

The quality feels reasonably good, although some of the interior plastics and switches aren't as 'premium' as other hatchbacks such as Honda Civic. It's good on the move though with a comfortably smooth ride, neat steering and good refinement."

Personally i would go for the beemer , unless you want a lot of hassle with reliabilty . that said my brother had many happy years and thousands of miles with his alfa which he bought new 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, insider9 said:

My Civic has done 21k miles since 1st September and has been faultless. I had a windscreen seal that came off (glued in), exhaust heatshield flapping (took it off) and exhaust fitting loose (welded). Other than that it's been great. I know transmission will need doing at some point. 

I often push it to rev limiter. Often go 120mph. It's a really fun car to drive and with driving like this as well as normal driving (it happens) it delivers 40mpg.

So why am I considering a change

1) Ride comfort isn't that great especially when I'm tired. No way to relax too much in a car. Stiff suspension and a hard seat. 

2) Fuel economy is very good however with a high mileage I know I could do better. 

3) It's only 138bhp 😁

Ideally I'd like something that's within £3k second hand

A) fun to drive and is exciting 

B) isn't heavy on fuel 

C) slightly more comfortable on longer journeys 

D) accelerates even better 

I looked at all the above and one car is a strong contender. Alfa Romeo Giulietta.... Just gorgeous and 2.0 JTDM should be very economic. Sadly not much gains in terms of acceleration. 

Another contender would be BMW Series 1 (120d)

Any thoughts? Advice? 

What do you guy think of the Alfa? Am I mad even considering swapping Japanese car for Alfa... Or am I better off remapping my Civic and investing in some cushions 😁

The only Alfa I would recommend for you, given your requirements is a Giulietta 1750 TBI, but they are way more than 3k. Great engine and the only one from the range with a genuine Alfa power plant. It's the same engine they use in the 4C. Also with Alfas you need to know and understand what you are looking at and listening for, otherwise...

In addition, although the Giulietta looks fine it isn't very Alfa looking. You could put a BMW or a Skoda badge on it and no one would blink. 

For the performance and fuel economy I would suggest your Civic is hard to beat. Of course there are faster cars but won't return the fuel levels, unless you 'up' your budget considerably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hifinutt said:

Personally i would go for the beemer , unless you want a lot of hassle with reliabilty . that said my brother had many happy years and thousands of miles with his alfa which he bought ne

Thanks Phil

4 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

For the performance and fuel economy I would suggest your Civic is hard to beat. Of course there are faster cars but won't return the fuel levels, unless you 'up' your budget considerably.

Thanks Richard. Budget could be upped a little however it's not a priority at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, insider9 said:

Thanks Phil

Thanks Richard. Budget could be upped a little however it's not a priority at the moment. 

Personally I keep the Honda but I wouldn't have it chipped. The cost is around £200-£300 and you'll only get an increase of approx 5-10 hp (depends how far you want it increased), and the figures doesn't add up IMO.

I could have my ECU chipped, but a 2.0 will only achieve about 15 extra ponies - also like to keep all my cars as original as possible.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again. I'll keep the Civic for the time being until I can up the budget.

Treated myself to new tyres today - Continental PremiumContact 6. Early signs suggest they're great. Not sure about fuel economy yet as was going fast, however hadling in wet was amazing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speed goes up, fuel economy goes down unfortunately. Unless you're prepared to spend a lot more the Civic has to stay. Why not invest in a couple of S/H seats from another better spec model of Honda, they might fit easily enough?

My Merc does all the above with more bhp, way more speed and better levels of comfort but at a cost!

If petrol then I think best VFM car out there has to be the Nissan 350Z, easily achievable for around £5-6K but fuel economy isn't that good...

Alternatively, Hyundai did the sporty looking coupe with a 2.7l V6 engine. Not the quickest but certainly not slow... Cheap to buy, tax is hefty though

If Diesel, I'd stick away from Alfa, they're never that quick... I had a Fiat Bravo 150bhp JTDM, pretty much same engine but always felt quicker and that was cheap to buy, economic and quick enough, they even do a 165bhp version which is nice if you can find a decent enough unmolested one for sale. Mine, never let me down mechanically until the lorry totaled it!

:^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, parcelmonkey said:

Speed goes up, fuel economy goes down unfortunately. Unless you're prepared to spend a lot more the Civic has to stay. Why not invest in a couple of S/H seats from another better spec model of Honda, they might fit easily enough?

My Merc does all the above with more bhp, way more speed and better levels of comfort but at a cost!

If petrol then I think best VFM car out there has to be the Nissan 350Z, easily achievable for around £5-6K but fuel economy isn't that good...

Alternatively, Hyundai did the sporty looking coupe with a 2.7l V6 engine. Not the quickest but certainly not slow... Cheap to buy, tax is hefty though

If Diesel, I'd stick away from Alfa, they're never that quick... I had a Fiat Bravo 150bhp JTDM, pretty much same engine but always felt quicker and that was cheap to buy, economic and quick enough, they even do a 165bhp version which is nice if you can find a decent enough unmolested one for sale. Mine, never let me down mechanically until the lorry totaled it!

:^

They said that about 156. "The 156 is the same platform as a FIAT Tipo" Drive the two and they feel very different. The way it holds the road, steering and response of the throttle. The 156 is actually built on the V6 Busso platform, which came into being long before FIAT became the parent company.

And, without any question, the FIAT has a back-breaking ride, where the Alfa feels more compliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

And, without any question, the FIAT has a back-breaking ride, where the Alfa feels more compliant.

You clearly are biased towards Alfa's and if that's your bag power to your elbow.

Personally I've always been underwhelmed by them, as to Fiats having a back breaking ride, try doing more core exercises! :)

My late Father & I have owned Fiats from a Lime green FIAT 131 Supermirafiori, through Tipos, Puntos, Brava's to my last one the Bravo. Loved every one of them, the Tipo clocking up a quarter of a million miles before I moved it on.

Each to their own!

Anyways back on topic...

3939685186_1785da2268_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, parcelmonkey said:

You clearly are biased towards Alfa's and if that's your bag power to your elbow.

Personally I've always been underwhelmed by them, as to Fiats having a back breaking ride, try doing more core exercises! :)

My late Father & I have owned Fiats from a Lime green FIAT 131 Supermirafiori, through Tipos, Puntos, Brava's to my last one the Bravo. Loved every one of them, the Tipo clocking up a quarter of a million miles before I moved it on.

Each to their own!

Anyways back on topic...

3939685186_1785da2268_b.jpg

Agree as regards the older FIAT 131. My school friend had two Mirafioris, one was the four door and the other was a bright orange Sport version. As with all Italian cars sneeze within 5 yards and they fall to pieces.

Totally disagree about modern FIATs: Mrs. P with her disability can't hack the comfort (discomfort) of modern FIATs. Plus Alfas have this wonderful hand stitched leather Momo seats, except for my current 156 which is cloth.

You have a - natural - bias towards FIATs, as I do with Alfas.

That picture is of a 147, widely known within the Alfa fraternity as the runt of the pack. All makes have them.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2019 at 20:37, insider9 said:

I often push it to rev limiter. Often go 120mph.

As much as I respect your experience/opinion musically - for that you are a muppet. 

You asked for advice... mine is drive sensibly... ignoring yourself, if you lose it, a tyre blows, you get a mechanical issue etc. you will also wipe out other people as well as yourself!!

!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

As much as I respect your experience/opinion musically - for that you are a muppet. 

You asked for advice... mine is drive sensibly... ignoring yourself, if you lose it, a tyre blows, you get a mechanical issue etc. you will also wipe out other people as well as yourself!!

!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate it. Probably worth adding it's usually around 2am with little to no traffic. Conditions dictate how I'm able to drive. And I'm respectful on the road. Fingers crossed never had an accident nor a speeding ticket. Intend to keep it that way but it gives me a lot of pleasure in an otherwise busy life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, insider9 said:

Appreciate it. Probably worth adding it's usually around 2am with little to no traffic. Conditions dictate how I'm able to drive. And I'm respectful on the road. Fingers crossed never had an accident nor a speeding ticket. Intend to keep it that way but it gives me a lot of pleasure in an otherwise busy life. 

I think we’re similar ages, and both have young kids (correct me if I’m wrong)...

’’mummy why’s daddy gone?” - “because he was driving like an idiot”. 

Go careful fella... 

I drive loads of different cars all over country as part of job to and from client meets... Diff every time...

I’ve had top spec bimmers/mercs/Audi’s etc, driven hundreds of diff cars over the years, mostly all rapid and fun to drive, and fast... Let’s be honest no one does 70...

However, reign it in dude, we only live once!! Go careful!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you having a midlife crisis? Scratch your itch but for heavens sake don't start wearing red jeans.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.