alphatoner

Cause of a very loud click/pop on Vinyl

Posted (edited)

This is an odd one (to me at least), I recently bought a brand new 2m black. I put on an album, also brand new and got several very loud click/pop noises. At first, I thought it was a badly pressed album, however just in case I ran it through my RCM, still the same, put it through again and still the same. I then tried a few other albums a couple were ok but most produced the same result.

I then put my Goldring 1042 back in and perfect no issues at all. Never had an issue like this before and I've no idea what it might be. I'm confident the cartridge is set up correctly but I did double check the tracking, alignment, vta etc and all ok.

Is this just a faulty cartridge or is there something else I might be missing?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Edited by alphatoner

Hard to say.  It could be static but if you wet cleaned the record then it normally cures that problem.  Also it is just as likely to affect either cartridge.

The Gyger profile is similar to the Van Den Hull and Paratrace type styli. It could be that the Shibata of the Ortofon black is making more contact with the whole groove and there is a pressing fault it is seeing and the Gyger stylus isn't.

It is one of the problems of fine line styluses compared to eliptical and conical which may sit deeper in the groove.   Also the set up of a Shibita is critical so make sure it was pefectly aligned and the vertical tracking angle is right as well.  

How do you find the Ortofon compared to the Goldring?  

• Upvote 1

Yes, it is earthed, but very much doubt it's that as the noise is always in exactly the same point. Static would vary in its location and frequency. Or is that a wrong assumption?

26 minutes ago, alphatoner said:

Yes, it is earthed, but very much doubt it's that as the noise is always in exactly the same point. Static would vary in its location and frequency. Or is that a wrong assumption?

Nope I agree with you - as such I a beginning to think my explanation is the answer - the only way to confirm would be to get another identical LP and see if it clicks in the same spot or stick with the Goldring and flog the Black 

Super Wammer

If it’s occurring at the same spot on the record then it can’t be static - although reading your first post I thought that too. 

That only leaves the explanation by uzzy about the difference in tracing the groove between differing stylus profiles.  Other than a pressing fault, the only other cause I can think of is a piece of debris, but the cleaning should have removed that.  I know that carbon fibre brushes occasionally shed the odd ‘hair’ and they make a loud click!

Just now, Nopiano said:

If it’s occurring at the same spot on the record then it can’t be static - although reading your first post I thought that too. 

That only leaves the explanation by uzzy about the difference in tracing the groove between differing stylus profiles.  Other than a pressing fault, the only other cause I can think of is a piece of debris, but the cleaning should have removed that.  I know that carbon fibre brushes occasionally shed the odd ‘hair’ and they make a loud click!

The only way you are gonna find out is to put the black back in - hence why i asked what was the comparison with the Goldring?  Was it a major step change in sound reproduction?  

Thanks guys,

I have already swapped the goldring/ortofon back and forth several times, always with the same result. There is also the factor that this issue is not unique to onee album, It happens with others as well. So to me, that rules out a pressing fault and leaves me with Uzzy's option of the stylus profile. But that, in turn, makes we wonder why other 2m owners don't have the same issue.

The 2m black has a very fine stylus i think (nude shiabata?) which is capable of getting deeper into the record groove to reveal more detail... and more pops and scratches 

For my ears the 2M Black is a bit too over analytical (personal preference), it is hugely detailed and is very good at picking out the best and the worst of a recording.
I bought one, had it for about a month, and then sold it in favour of a Bronze which suits my lugholes down to the ground.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Dave Brown said:

For my ears the 2M Black is a bit too over analytical (personal preference), it is hugely detailed and is very good at picking out the best and the worst of a recording.
I bought one, had it for about a month, and then sold it in favour of a Bronze which suits my lugholes down to the ground.

Do you think the Black could be riding so low down in the groove that it’s picking up these clicks, presumably some sort of debris?

18 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Do you think the Black could be riding so low down in the groove that it’s picking up these clicks, presumably some sort of debris?

I would think it is the fact that the shibita is in total contact with most of the groove.  This article gives nice diagrams and pictures to show the profiles and how they sit in the groove. https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, uzzy said:

I would think it is the fact that the shibita is in total contact with most of the groove.  This article gives nice diagrams and pictures to show the profiles and how they sit in the groove. https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

Thanks uzzy.  It shows that the Goldring and Ortofon have pretty similar profiles and contact areas, (notwithstanding the different designers) hence my surprise that one clicks and the other doesn’t. 

• Upvote 1

As Uzzy says, the profile allows more contact area = more detail. You could try backing the 2M Black right off on its tracking weight to see if that affects it all. Ortofon recommend 1.4g - 1.7g with optimal being 1.5g. Try it at 1.4g/1.3g to see if that helps without affecting the sonics.  That 20° VTA is also very critical with that much contact area, again, have a play either side of that sweet spot to see if it can be dialled in correctly.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Thanks uzzy.  It shows that the Goldring and Ortofon have pretty similar profiles and contact areas, (notwithstanding the different designers) hence my surprise that one clicks and the other doesn’t. 

As Dave Brown says above - it could be to do with set up (tracking angle (VTA), check that the arm is parallel to the deck and ensure the cartridge base is parallel to the record.  If it isn't then adjust until it is and then try it and if the click is still there,  then adjust it the arm height up a fraction and try it and if it is still clicking then try lowering it a bit below parallel and trying it there.  

Failing that working - keep the Goldring and sell the Ortofon (the Goldring is  pretty fine cartridge innit)