jas0_0

Decent quality (but non-audiophile) 0.5m mains cables

You can make you own using this very good value kit from MCRU at £10 or less if you buy more.

I bought some because like you I wanted custom length mains leads and I am very pleased with them .

https://mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-diy-mains-lead-set-2/?v=79cba1185463#reviews

Super Wammer

Wiring a plug, socket etc for me is a basic life skill I learnt from my dad many moons ago - long before children were taught/encouraged to be risk averse.  When I went to college one module we took was Laboratory Safety which in 1978 included how to wire a plug etc.  

If we ever get to the stage when a fully qualified sparks is the only person legally allowed to change a plug them IMHO we should all stick our collective fingers into the mains socket and end it all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

If we ever get to the stage when a fully qualified sparks is the only person legally allowed to change a plug

Fitter, happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
Regular exercise at the gym, three days a week
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
At ease
Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats
A patient, better driver
A safer car, baby smiling in back seat
Sleeping well, no bad dreams
No paranoia
Careful to all animals, never washing spiders down the plughole
Keep in contact with old friends, enjoy a drink now and then
Will frequently check credit at moral bank, hole in wall
Favours for favours, fond but not in love
Charity standing orders on sundays, ring-road supermarket
No killing moths or putting boiling water on the ants
Car wash, also on sundays
No longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows, nothing so ridiculously teenage and desperate
Nothing so childish
At a better pace, slower and more calculated
No chance of escape
Now self-employed
Concerned, but powerless
An empowered and informed member of societ, pragmatism not idealism
Will not cry in public
Less chance of illness
Tires that grip in the wet, shot of baby strapped in backseat
A good memory
Still cries at a good film
Still kisses with saliva
No longer empty and frantic
Like a cat
Tied to a stick
That's driven into
Frozen winter shit, the ability to laugh at weakness
Calm, fitter, healthier and more productive
A pig in a cage on antibiotics

Radiohead

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tuga said:

Fitter, happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
Regular exercise at the gym, three days a week
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
At ease
Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats
A patient, better driver
A safer car, baby smiling in back seat
Sleeping well, no bad dreams
No paranoia
Careful to all animals, never washing spiders down the plughole
Keep in contact with old friends, enjoy a drink now and then
Will frequently check credit at moral bank, hole in wall
Favours for favours, fond but not in love
Charity standing orders on sundays, ring-road supermarket
No killing moths or putting boiling water on the ants
Car wash, also on sundays
No longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows, nothing so ridiculously teenage and desperate
Nothing so childish
At a better pace, slower and more calculated
No chance of escape
Now self-employed
Concerned, but powerless
An empowered and informed member of societ, pragmatism not idealism
Will not cry in public
Less chance of illness
Tires that grip in the wet, shot of baby strapped in backseat
A good memory
Still cries at a good film
Still kisses with saliva
No longer empty and frantic
Like a cat
Tied to a stick
That's driven into
Frozen winter shit, the ability to laugh at weakness
Calm, fitter, healthier and more productive
A pig in a cage on antibiotics

Radiohead

Stephen Hawking RIP.  A man who had the brains, though perhaps not the body, to wire a plug correctly.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Wiring a plug, socket etc for me is a basic life skill I learnt from my dad many moons ago - long before children were taught/encouraged to be risk averse.  When I went to college one module we took was Laboratory Safety which in 1978 included how to wire a plug etc.  

If we ever get to the stage when a fully qualified sparks is the only person legally allowed to change a plug them IMHO we should all stick our collective fingers into the mains socket and end it all.

I am also lucky enough to come from an age where such basics were commonplace. Even primary school taught basic craft skills, and my first years at 'big' school included compulsory classes in woodwork, metalwork, cookery, needlework and other 'real life' skills. We were taught how to safely use proper tools and equipment, including lathes, welding gear, circular saws, etc. Everyone I was at school with left there competent enough to carry out most routine repairs, and a lot more. Not to mention being able to cook, clean and sew.

To me, all these things are an essential part of any proper education.

The stupidity of some health and safety legislation is that in same cases it stops people from being taught what is and isn't dangerous. There are no inherently dangerous tools, but there are plenty of dangerous ways to use them. A chainsaw in the hands of someone trained to use it safer than a screwdriver in the hands of someone who doesn't know what end does what.

I'm no 'master of trades' by a long way. I'd rather get a professional to do many things, because it's quicker for a start. However, if I need to, I can build a wall, plumb a bathroom, tile things and wire things. But then so can most of the friends I have of a similar age. Unfortunately, education now seems intent on turning people out who can do absolutely nothing practical whatsoever. I find that depressing.

• Upvote 2

I've been wiring plugs since I was a kid. But I have pretty deaf ears. When my friends compare systems and start talking differences, Iam the first one to request a smoke break, as I can't hear an iota of difference most times. So I tend to indulge in stuff that is highly rated just for the confidence that it is working right, though I honestly can't hear a difference. So I ended up importing some triode labs mains cables from USA, which cost almost 800 USD a 1 meter length. And when I compare them to the local cables I bought in India for 4.5 pounds, I absolutely can't hear a difference. So as Mr.Rabski very very correctly pointed out in a different post on "isotek isoplug" , all these fancy wires are just that last 2% of the sound and nothing else. So I would heartily recommend getting your cable fix from Amazon :D

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, rabski said:

There seem to be slightly different versions over time. The current ones AFAIK don't have the old large, round screw terminals and the lead lengths are slightly different. The couple I have here have two plastic strips to hold the cable, but pics online show the latest ones as having the arch-shaped clamp with two screws.

In other words, no idea, because they seem to change or have changed!

Toughplugs have changed for the worse,  but the MK Safety Plugs are still the same with the ‘old’, large, round screw terminals that you crave. I have just bought some recently. Also still made from thermosetting urea formaldehyde (to kill bacteria in finger prints etc.) ...

10578994093_b363f13a9e_m.jpg

Edited by chebby
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, chebby said:

Toughplugs have changed for the worse,  but the MK Safety Plugs are still the same with the ‘old’, large, round screw terminals that you crave. I have just bought some recently. Also still made from thermosetting urea formaldehyde (to kill bacteria in finger prints etc.) ...

10578994093_b363f13a9e_m.jpg

Them's the ones. Not overly keen on the 'clamp', because it restricts the maximum cable size, but those terminal posts are brilliant. No strain, big contact area. Thing of perfect common sense. I can't understand why others don't do this. I can't believe it's significantly more costly.

Years ago when I asked Derek at Infidelity hi-fi about dedicated mains cable. he said, "you'll notice a difference if you have a clean current in your area" Can't remember my response as it was such a long time ago, but his comment was a little puzzling to say the least.

Take your existing leads cut the plugs off to length and wire into a 4-way hydra plug which also comes with basic surge protection built in. That's assuming these are still classified as electrically safe.

search multiway mains plug on ebay.

s-l500.jpg

I use these with some mains cable. A bit more expensive but can accommodate thicker cables.

7FEB5726-EF4E-477B-9266-778F60AF30BB.jpeg

Hi everyone, I ordered some new plugs from Amazon, lopped off about 4 metres of unnecessary black tangle and wired them back up.  Everything now looks much neater, my system still works and... I didn't kill myself!  An all-round win.   Thanks for all the suggestions

J

Before:Before.thumb.jpg.2cd9edd4a16ffbfe62e723e30eabd0e0.jpg

and after...

After.jpg

Edited by jas0_0
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 11/06/2019 at 09:42, jas0_0 said:

Hi all,

I'm aiming to tidy up the giant spaghetti mess behind my system by getting some shorter cables. 

There are lots of 0.5m mains cables on Amazon and eBay and I'm not quite sure where to spend my money.  Part of me says anything will do, but for peace of mind I wondered if there are any brands to choose or avoid, and any specifications I need to be aware of.  Looking to spend max £10 per cable (and ideally less).  

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

James

Just buy yourself a new kettle. ;)