jas0_0

Decent quality (but non-audiophile) 0.5m mains cables

Hi all,

I'm aiming to tidy up the giant spaghetti mess behind my system by getting some shorter cables. 

There are lots of 0.5m mains cables on Amazon and eBay and I'm not quite sure where to spend my money.  Part of me says anything will do, but for peace of mind I wondered if there are any brands to choose or avoid, and any specifications I need to be aware of.  Looking to spend max £10 per cable (and ideally less).  

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

James

Posted (edited)

Sorry, didn't spot it was mains cable.

Edited by Colinjg

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Would you consider buying the plugs and a length of wire to make your own?  The reason being that many mains cables are surprisingly stiff and I’ve often found you need about 30 to 50cm more just to fit them without undue tension.  

You might have your sockets right behind the kit, but beware going too short.  Ime, most pre-made ‘hifi’ mains cables start around £25. 

Edited by Nopiano
Typo
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, jas0_0 said:

Hi all,

I'm aiming to tidy up the giant spaghetti mess behind my system by getting some shorter cables. 

There are lots of 0.5m mains cables on Amazon and eBay and I'm not quite sure where to spend my money.  Part of me says anything will do, but for peace of mind I wondered if there are any brands to choose or avoid, and any specifications I need to be aware of.  Looking to spend max £10 per cable (and ideally less).  

Thanks in advance,

James

A couple of pro-audio Y power leads perhaps?

42-061_02.jpg

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/20379/42-061_AC-MAINS-POWER-Y-LEAD-UK-type-A

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I've made my own ....just because I can rather than expecting and sound improvement.  Currently I have a mix of 'manufacturer' moulded IEC leads and a few of my own, will I change all of them to 'audiophile' ones ....NOOOO.

Save your money and spend it on better kit or music 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Short cables are good, but make sure that they are long enough so you can pull the box out when you have to fiddle with something round the back.

I would make my own by buying a cable with the right connector, cutting it down & putting a plug on it.

If you type 'power leads' into CPC's search box there's a big choice

• Like 1

I've made my own. All quite 'foo', but only because I had all the bits lying around. They don't to my ears make the slightest difference, but they look nice and are about the right lenghts for my layout. Some are also shielded, because my vinyl setup is very prone to hum pickup.

Regardless of any foo element, there is nothing wrong with using decent quality connectors. It's been mentioned on another thread, but the MK Toughplug is very hard to better IMHO. It'll survive most accidental attacks and the pins are really good quality.

One small point always worth mentiong is that whether you buy ready-made leads or make your own, always check the fuse rating. Most off-the-shelf stuff comes with a 13 amp fuse, which is far too high for most equipment. 3 amps or even less is far better for most things.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, rabski said:

... the MK Toughplug is very hard to better IMHO. It'll survive most accidental attacks and the pins are really good quality.

I agree, they are a bit pricey, but at 240 volts you don't want to use cheap s***!

MK Tough plug also in red & orange

The headline on this on says 3A but I'm 99% sure thats a typo for 13A

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, karlinamillion said:

I agree, they are a bit pricey, but at 240 volts you don't want to use cheap s***!

MK Tough plug also in red & orange

The headline on this on says 3A but I'm 99% sure thats a typo for 13A

Do you know if this design accepts the wires all trimmed to the same length?  That, and the circular cable clamp, appeals to me, rather than poking the wire in a little hole!

There seem to be slightly different versions over time. The current ones AFAIK don't have the old large, round screw terminals and the lead lengths are slightly different. The couple I have here have two plastic strips to hold the cable, but pics online show the latest ones as having the arch-shaped clamp with two screws.

In other words, no idea, because they seem to change or have changed!

• Like 1

If you want to be slightly foo then try using Belden mains cables. It is rather good and has seen off a few foo mains cables which have higher prices.

Thanks everyone - will just get some plugs and chop my existing cables down.  Don’t know why I didn’t think of this myself... Glad I asked here!

3 hours ago, jas0_0 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

James

Literally any cable will perform identically providing it connects the thing to the mains. Amazon is pretty safe to buy from.