Sign in to follow this  
kernow

Exogal comet

Posted (edited)

Any owners here or people that have given it a listen? I like the history about it and the approach they are taking, and I'm getting bored of waiting for a sensibly priced used EAR digital frontend. I like how it's pretty basic, seriously - why can't you find a DAC with optical in, no headphone jack, preamp , etc nowadays? 

http://inearspace.com/2015/04/17/exogal-comet-dac-shooting-for-the-stars/

Edit: or it's a ten centimeter square PCB in a meter deep case ffs, no room on the rack for that. 

Bleh 

Edited by kernow

Around £1800 used with the external upgraded PSU. Having difficulty seeing other stuff around that price .. I can't buy schitt, just can't do it haha. 

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

I liked how it's pretty basic too, then wondered why it had to be so expensive.

I'd keep looking for EAR, great products albeit not cheap.

My digital happiness is with Luxman, YMMV. You might get a DA-06 for about that if very lucky and it's a crackerdac (packed to the gills with 'stuff' but admittedly quite a long case).

I'm not sure I can be arsed with a cd player this time round, and I've seen no dac4's used, likely won't either. There's an acute classic for £3900 ex demo but it's not far off new. 

I'm wondering why the comet is that much too, you're not wrong! Great reviews though. 

Super Wammer

I have seen a DAC4 combo used but it was a dodgy-looking sale and more than the Lux I now have. That is currently used more as a DAC than CD/SACD transport (to answer your botheredness about cd players), although it is possibly even better as a disc spinner.

I've a lot of time for EAR digital (and amps) but the physical operation of the Acute 4 left a bit to be desired when I played with it briefly. Again, YMMV.

Posted (edited)

As much as I want matching kit, you don't even see the acute 3 with digital inputs that often. I'm only mainly going to use it with a Chromecast audio and maybe a laptop every now and then for a novelty. Perhaps I should be looking at a streamer with Spotify connect built in, but I don't like the heavy reliance on software and apps which eventually becomes obsolete. I just want a plain DAC box! 

I have about 300 CDs that would benefit from a new player and obviously would sound better than Spotify, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got rid, and don't have to worry about moving parts etc for years 

Edited by kernow

I owned a exogal comet plus (inc the lps) and its performance as a dac is very good. It replaced a chord Dave and didn’t give up much to its far more expensive competitor. 

Its well made but did have a couple of frustrating features. 1) the screen is almost impossible to see and therefore is a complete waste of time 2) the remote is so cheap and poor it’s really embarrassing that they even include it. You can download an app for preamp volume control and input selection which makes the physical remote redundant. The supplied remote works on Bluetooth so you can’t replace with a better quality alternative. 

I never tried the headphone amp. 

If you want a dac to just sit in your system and do its stuff then it’s certainly worth a look

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cheers, yeah I read the screen is useless but the app doesn't look much better. I love how kitbashed it is. As you say it gets close to DACs that cost a lot more and seems a bit of a marvel. Still undecided, they can't even get the screen fitted straight most of the time. 

I like the idea of an FPGA dac though and it would just be a set and forget affair. I'd prefer it with no screen at all. 

Even for a basic dac it still has analogue inputs, headphone amp and pre capability. I might just get an AN unit as that does one thing. 

Other ones I looked at, wadia 321, dcs Debussy - huge for no reason 

Edited by kernow

Best I have owned or heard   Matrix Audio

• Like 1

Just ignore the screen & unless you are wanting to use the preamp volume control the remote can be packed away too. The UI of their app is actually ok and dead easy to use plus it loads quick.

• Like 1