Stidge

Auralic Vega G2

Hi

So I am thinking of getting the above but not sure how good the pre-amp is.

I currently use Roon and have an Aries G1 for streaming via wifi. This feeds an RME ADI-2 FS DAC then into a Music First Audio Baby Ref 2 and onto  a pair of ATC SCM50SLT. I am assuming the DAC would be better than the RME (although that is very good) but not sure how it would be replacing the passive pre-amp with the Vega G2. I  play vinyl so need a pre-amp that an accept an input from my phono amp. 

If the Vega is up to it I could replace the MFA, RME and maybe the Aries to free up some funds. 

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on doing this?

Thanks for reading

Regards

Steve

Super Dealer

Both are in the top echelon of DACs measured at ASR

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-sinad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/

I wouldn’t  expect you to hear any difference.

Keith

Super Wammer

Seeing as the mfa baby ref v2 is one of THE finest pre amps in the world , it would take a lot to beat it !!! When I had the v1 it gave my 12k arc pre amp a run for the money  

Super Wammer
On 10/06/2019 at 20:51, Stidge said:

Hi

I currently use Roon and have an Aries G1 for streaming via wifi. This feeds an RME ADI-2 FS DAC then into a Music First Audio Baby Ref 2 and onto  a pair of ATC SCM50SLT. I am assuming the DAC would be better than the RME (although that is very good) but not sure how it would be replacing the passive pre-amp with the Vega G2. I  play vinyl so need a pre-amp that an accept an input from my phono amp. 

If the Vega is up to it I could replace the MFA, RME and maybe the Aries to free up some funds. 

Thanks for reading

Regards

Steve

Presuming you will audition at home properly: replacing DAC and streamer should be fine, the G2 gets great reviews (though its essence is in the G1 you have); I'd want to give some serious ear-time before I got rid of the MFA as a pre though. A week's comparative listening should crack it.

On 10/06/2019 at 15:51, Stidge said:

Hi

Thanks for reading

Regards

Steve

Hi stidge...

Good evening..

Dac's and digital volume control have moved miles in the last few years. There are computer based music software that do digital volume control without reducing dynamic range. So loss of dynamic range as in previous iterations of digital volume control will not be the issue here. I have always run my power amps direct from my dac's, and always found the sound to be super clear but very thin and lean. Resolution was there in spades, but it was not a enjoyable sound.. So for the first time I decided to add a active preamp to see what it sounds like. Iam still sailing,  so sadly can't post a feedback yet...but if i were in your shoes, id hold onto your MFA preamp till I was absolutely sure I was not missing something. All the best sir :)

Thanks for all the replies.

I am concerned about losing the pre-amp. I used to run a Chord Hugo directly into my active speakers which sounded good but there was definitely an improvement when I added the pre-amp into the chain. If I am going to get the Vega I would really need to sell off some stuff to generate the funds I need and the pre-amp is by far the most valuable. If I get the Vega and don't sell the pre-amp I will be about £2000 down which is not really the point of the exercise.  It would be good if I could get the Vega and return it if I don't like the sound from its pre-amp but it would be an eBay purchase so no option to return. Will need to ponder a bit but thanks again for all your comments and advice

Regards

Steve

Super Dealer

The pre is transparent and the attenuation on the Vega should be , you don’t need both.

Keith

Super Wammer
On 10/06/2019 at 20:51, Stidge said:

Hi

Thanks for reading

Regards

Steve

Stidge, I am an ATC active fan as well a MFA fan. I have a pair of ATC 40 actives and I have Music First Audio V2 silver wound (which as an aside I find to be slighty more transparent than the copper version and also has better bass). However, AFTER LISTENING, I run my actives direct from my DAC (Chord Dave) and use that as a volume control. The MFA was almost the same but very (and a mean very) slightly less transparent.

I think the thing here is to listen and compare and not just go on what some people think ought to be the case. I did have an RME dac and tried using that as a volume control without as much success.

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Upvote 2