Bertiebee

Fitting a Merlin power supply to a Townshend Rock II

A friend of mine has a Rock II and has just bought a Merlin power supply.

Does anyone have any instructions of how to fit the supply to the turntable please (I know it isn’t plug and play)?

Thanks

Iain

It really does depend what version Merlin you have.

I had had both the MKII and the MK7 both plug and play.

A photo would confirm!!! Which one you have?

PS. The difference is staggering, on either TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I’m told it’s the original Merlin Power Supply.

It’s the one in this auction I believe:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273865299454

Iain

Iain,

This is for the MKII Rock.

Yes it is rare, because it's no longer availible via Townshend. However, before purchase consider if it it goes wrong.... How are you going to repair it.?

If this is not an issue.... Go for it. It's a great upgrade.

However, a phone call to Max Townshend to confirm if it could be repaired may be worth while prior to purchase.

Peter

Peter, my friend has already bought the supply, he was the winner of the auction.

He has a Rock II and now wishes to link the two together but I’m sure I read somewhere in the dim and distant past that some modifications were required to the turntable to facilitate fitting the Merlin.

I could of course be wrong.....

Not as far as I'm.concerned. No modifications are reguired. (If he has a standard MKII Rock).

Unfortunately, I have had every Townshend TT ever produced over the last 50 years and loved every one.

However, many would disagree!!!!!!!!

The TT I missed whilst all this was going on was the Denon DP80 (Japan Only) which I have now, with the stunning Dynavector 507 MKII arm.

It should be noted however, the Townshend TT's were the best of British at the time and are still much revered.

TT Below.......

3d4b35b23b55f30efee6a453b4f3c8d6.jpg

Peter, in that case would there just be a need to take off the three pin plug from the Rock power lead and change it for a two pin connector to plug into the Merlin?

The Merlin then has the three pin plug to be powered from the mains.

Nice turntable by the way.

I use a Lumley Stratosphere Mk II, SME V and a couple of Van den Hul Colibri (XGP and XPW) cartridges (and a couple of Townshend Rocks with various arm and cartridge combinations).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed

Nothing more.

My last Rock 7 (A stunning Deck)

a71f0c261d646a0612ac2a7efa1ee450.jpg

Thank you. Pretty sure I know what the two pin plug is like (I’d look at my Rock II with Merlin but it’s 1100 miles away at the moment).

That 7 is nice.

I always wondered whether it was worth sourcing a Rock 7 platter for one of my Rock II’s?

Max always said the areas to improve the II were the power supply (I have a Merlin), the suspension (I use the latest Townsend platform) and the platter.

It was a strange time we lived in..

It was either Linn LP 12, or the Rock as Japanese Decks were not allowed

It seams quite bizarre that I've ended up with the DP80 and not the SP10 (both staggering decks at the time) and not available to the European fraternity'

Hear I sit with a Deck some 40 years old...... And nothing to beat it in modern times.

Originally built for 1,000,000 hours, broadcast time... Nothing even comperes nowadays.

I don't quite understand why nobody has built split patter like the Denon, there is nothing quite like it.

Sorry..... I'm harping on!!!!!!!!

It’s a good job we all like different things otherwise life would be boring and there would be no need for forums such as the Wam.

Thanks for your help with the Rock and Merlin, might have saved a lot of faffing trying to find something that I thought I’d read but now can’t find.

A final picture...

My Rock Il with the Merlin Power Supply.

Sorry... Merlin not very visible (its the best pic I've got).

It was still a great deck!!!!!

1cf770f43124c53377fd6451d27e4b89.jpg

Hello, I was just looking at this thread re Townshend Rocks. I see (Boysey) you have another type of record clamp fitted,  what is it please ?

Alan