Ian

My word can't tht black stuff be good ?!

14 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Playing LPs probably represents only about 10% of my music consumption nowadays, but I still marvel that it works at all.  

Once you’re immersed in an LP there’s little to better it!

Yep , the miracle that retrieves such a lifelike sound from a scratch in a sheet  of plastic still amazes me every day .

That it works at all is absolutely ridiculous !

You're all mad! CDs are easier to store, work in the car, are far more reliable, really really cheap secondhand, not easily damaged, don't crackle and pop. The players are cheap (mostly) and don't need servicing or new needles. Records are mostly a right pita and you have to get up half way through, three times for a double album! Unfortunately even my OH says our records sound better.

I've had my turntable and arm combination since the late 80s, still looks and sounds great. Just had the deck serviced (bearing) now need to decide to upgrade it or perhaps just improve it. Fairly sure the cartridge will need looking at after nearly 30 years!

11 hours ago, uzzy said:

Very true - here is my current wall display (we change it every now and then) 

Nice. :^

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Yep , the miracle that retrieves such a lifelike sound from a scratch in a sheet  of plastic still amazes me every day .

That it works at all is absolutely ridiculous !

They've had plenty of time to perfect the format -- gramophones have been around since very early 20th Century.

Apart from thye materials used very little has changed since its inception.

12 hours ago, uzzy said:

Very true - here is my current wall display (we change it every now and then) 

IMG_20190611_120356706.jpg

Looks impressive, uzzy.

With my first system in the bedroom I had most of the albums and 7" singles on shelves, vertical.

@George 47

I note your jokey cynicism and I raise you 8-track tapes....er, no wait, no I don't.

I like vinyl too. 

For all the Wammers... this is quite a good explanation. Listen carefully and you'll realize vinyl has to be mixed differently. At 1m 20s, I'm wondering who's buying those cassettes!

'No functional difference in sound quality between analogue and digital music replay'? Some say digital is better others vinyl is better so he is wrong to a lot of audiophiles.

Some of the better engineers will provide a mix purely for vinyl to take advantage/take account of the media. Chad Blake did that for a lot of the Peter Gabriel remixes and in his opinion, it can make the vinyl better than the original master tape.  And no it was not the RIAA curve.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I have always had a Turntable and still have a Logic DM101 with Rega RB300 arm and Goldring Cartridge (can not remember which) . It sits in my kitchen system along with the 150 or so albums I still have . I have not played anything on this in over two years my wife uses it occasionaly but that is about it. It sounds fine and the the music is easy to like. However I have become very used to silence and lack of wow you get with CD and CD rips . This means I notice each and every click pop and background noise on LP much more than I ever did and find it then that bit more difficult to relax enjoy the music not tense waiting for the next pop or click .

Now the above is me and I amy well be the only person who finds this but it is the case . When playing the CD Rips from my Library I know what is going to be presented and relax and listen to the music . This is the opposite of when CD and digital music was new and Linn and the like said it was not possible to listen to didgital recordings without stress . Frankly neither is the whole truth just a personal statement of what I find to important to me when listening to music . I also seem to have a very high sensitivity to imaging which makes me a little OCD when it comes to speaker placement and the like .

Vinyl is fine and can sound great , I agree with Rabski one of its drawbacks is that you need to invest a considerable amount of money and time in to Vinyl in order to get it right and it does seem to engage a huge desire to box and cartridge swap not to mention the tonearm . Once you get it right and sounding as you want many are just not able to leave well alone and still search for that slight better (different) Phone Stage / Cartridge / Tone Arm / Motor Unit take your choice . Digital is also fine and you can fall in to the DAC swap and spend vast sums if you want. In my case I have heard many of these expensive units and while they are lovely to look at for me at least there is not enough sonic improvement to justify the expense .

57 minutes ago, bencat said:

I have always had a Turntable and still have a Logic DM101 with Rega RB300 arm and Goldring Cartridge (can not remember which) . It sits in my kitchen system along with the 150 or so albums I still have . I have not played anything on this in over two years my wife uses it occasionaly but that is about it. It sounds fine and the the music is easy to like. However I have become very used to silence and lack of wow you get with CD and CD rips . This means I notice each and every click pop and background noise on LP much more than I ever did and find it then that bit more difficult to relax enjoy the music not tense waiting for the next pop or click .

Now the above is me and I amy well be the only person who finds this but it is the case . When playing the CD Rips from my Library I know what is going to be presented and relax and listen to the music . This is the opposite of when CD and digital music was new and Linn and the like said it was not possible to listen to didgital recordings without stress . Frankly neither is the whole truth just a personal statement of what I find to important to me when listening to music . I also seem to have a very high sensitivity to imaging which makes me a little OCD when it comes to speaker placement and the like .

Vinyl is fine and can sound great , I agree with Rabski one of its drawbacks is that you need to invest a considerable amount of money and time in to Vinyl in order to get it right and it does seem to engage a huge desire to box and cartridge swap not to mention the tonearm . Once you get it right and sounding as you want many are just not able to leave well alone and still search for that slight better (different) Phone Stage / Cartridge / Tone Arm / Motor Unit take your choice . Digital is also fine and you can fall in to the DAC swap and spend vast sums if you want. In my case I have heard many of these expensive units and while they are lovely to look at for me at least there is not enough sonic improvement to justify the expense .

First off the Logic should not display any audible wow and flutter, second and most vital. is the fact that I wish CDs sounded as good as vinyl but unfortunately the great mass of music recorded. before they got the hang of digital recording. was on analogue machines.  All that stuff was output to vinyl.  Then the digital era came about and virtually no one took any care (and in many cases used dubious master tapes) to convert the anologue to digital (the notable exception being George Martin and his son Giles in converting the Beatles catalogue to vinyl.  

I have often sat people down who moan about vinyl and played them tracks from LPs (analogue recordings pre digital) and then the CD  and they invariably think the LP is the CD (because it sounds better).  Occasionally even I am bowled over by just how much better - I only had the Edie Brickel Album "Shooting Rubber" on CD and I love the track ""What I am" - (anyone who can stay still and not move a foot or sway to this track has no soul).  I then came across the album in a charity shop for 50p and bought it - and how lucky I was it was a minter - but the amazing thing is - it was like a fog had been lifted and now the music really did come alive.  It has more drive, more incisive, clearer production in fact .. it is bloody amazing.

I wish CD sounded that good but unfortunately unless we have the likes of George and Giles Martin getting into the studio and doing the conversion from analogue to digital that is not going to happen.  So for all your music pre mid 1980s recorded on analogue tape machines if you want to hear it at its best unfortunately it has to be on vinyl.

• Upvote 1