Minicoupeman

Amplifiers and speakers

Clearly there is a symbiosis between certain amplifiers and speakers - think Naim and Linn a long time ago.  It is not easy or cheap to experiment and while dealers are helpful their prime aim is to be commercially profitable so.....which combinations really work ( please don’t reply if either your amp or speakers are very new). For my part, ATC and Nord are a marriage made in heaven.

Super Dealer

There is no symbiosis, examine the specification and measurements of the loudspeaker, particularly the impedance curve and then choose an amplifier which is capable of properly driving it without clipping.

Keith

4 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

symbiosis

Means living together .. of course all amps and speakers live together. 

To get the best of any loudspeaker the amp used needs to be able to deliver the required current with minimum distortion and a flat frequency response.   When that happens you get Synergy (the concept that the combined value and performance of two items will be greater than the sum of the separate individual parts) not just two items living together and with luck some musical nervana. 

I will not get into the Linn  Naim debate - having lived through it all in the 70s it was two companies who realised that Symbiosis worked well for them (it could be said they were virtually in bed with each other) but as to synergy between the two, well that is a matter of conjecture lol 

I am starting to form an opinion that speakers with complicated lossy crossovers like perhaps but by no means exclusively the ls35a would tend to sound better on solid state, and those with a simpler crossover better on a tube amp. That doesn't mean that the ls35a will sound bad on a tube amp, just that it could sound more "natural" than its simple cross-overed counterpart. 

This is a personal work in progress theory.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

There is no symbiosis, examine the specification and measurements of the loudspeaker, particularly the impedance curve and then choose an amplifier which is capable of properly driving it without clipping.

Keith

Or try a few combinations until you get the sound you like. It's much more fun.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Minicoupeman said:

Clearly there is a symbiosis between certain amplifiers and speakers - think Naim and Linn a long time ago.  It is not easy or cheap to experiment and while dealers are helpful their prime aim is to be commercially profitable so.....which combinations really work ( please don’t reply if either your amp or speakers are very new). For my part, ATC and Nord are a marriage made in heaven.

Don't think there's any definitive answer, as we all have varying tastes. The general rule of thumb, though, is to match dark with light. I've always found mixing light with light or dark with dark pushes the presentation too far in one direction or the other.

There are many great - natural mixes - and others that shouldn't work but does.

For example Arcam and Monitor Audio or PMC are soulmates. Ones that shouldn't but does IMO is Naim and MonoPulse speakers.

@CnoEvil

I think IIRC that Cno did a very detailed thread which lots of us pitched into on WHF forum regarding amp/speaker matching. 

Pretty sure this got moved across. 

Perhaps someone can link to this?

8 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

@CnoEvil

I think IIRC that Cno did a very detailed thread which lots of us pitched into on WHF forum regarding amp/speaker matching. 

Pretty sure this got moved across. 

Perhaps someone can link to this?

This is the thread attempting to describe how different brands sound:

It doesn't necessarily tell you what (sonically) works with what....but it may help avoid putting 2 bright or smooth components together.

Some brands that may work together:

Rotel/B&W

Electrocompaniet/Focal

Accuphase/Harbeth

Sugden/Proac

Arcam/PMC

MF Nu Vista/Kef Reference

Creek/Epos

Posted (edited)

Hello there

Was talking about this at the Oxford bakeoff I have a Cyrus amp( Forward/Exciting/Analytical) with Dali speakers (Slightly Warmer than neutral) which I am happy with the sound at the moment, but as a newbie would like to know would you think this is a good match?

Cheers Frank

Edited by FrankD

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, FrankD said:

Hello there

Was talking about this at the Oxford bakeoff I have a Cyrus amp( Forward/Exciting/Analytical) with Dali speakers (Slightly Warmer than neutral) which I am happy with the sound at the moment, but as a newbie would like to know would think this is a good match?

Cheers Frank

It's a good match if you like it.

Imo Other brands that work well with Cyrus are Spendor/Spendor Classic or Kef R Series

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Minicoupeman said:

Having once paired ATC with Nord, I tend to agree but what brought you to the same conclusion?

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

This is the thread attempting to describe how different brands sound:

It doesn't necessarily tell you what (sonically) works with what....but it may help avoid putting 2 bright or smooth components together.

Some brands that may work together:

Rotel/B&W

Electrocompaniet/Focal

Accuphase/Harbeth

Sugden/Proac

Arcam/PMC

MF Nu Vista/Kef Reference

Creek/Epos

That pretty much echoes what I've always said. :whistle:

I've never liked the idea of matching an overly bright amp with 'softer' speakers or vice versa. The old saying 'two wrongs don't make a right' is equally applicable to audio. Trying to fix something that sounds wrong by combining it with something else that sounds wrong is a good way to go down the path of being unable to ever get the best out of a system and also not being able to upgrade or change anything for fear of it all going pear-shaped.

• Upvote 4

Super Wammer

I have a superb amp playing at the moment , in one room it's way too much for me , in another different room it's absolutely glorious.  The room makes the most incredible difference to whether they work together

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1