dave

The slow death of SACD laser?

Posted (edited)

I now have 3 players capable of SACD, and 3 hybrid SACDs (Jazz at the pawnshop, living stereo, pictures at an exhibition, loved the vinyl so much) as it happens. Only one player plays them, the Denon DVD 2900, the other 2 both Sony, a mid range DVD player, and a recent car boot sale acquisition, 5 disc changer CD / SACD, don't recognise the SACD and play as CD. I noticed recently that the Sony DVD is starting to fail on the inner layer of DVD play back. 

I initially thought it could be some incompatibility, but now with 2 players exhibiting the same symptoms, wonder if the laser is fading. Is this typical, a little bit of research suggests it could be.  A bit disappointing and makes me reluctant (as a late adopter) to invest in any more SACDs... 

Edited by dave

It is just bloody annoying that whoever designed these things did not make the lazer bulb itself easily changeable, as you have to change the whole bloody mechanism.  If you think how HP laser printers change the print head every time you put in a new cartridge and all of them have a mechanism for aligning the printer to print with correct orientation and placement this should not have proved rocket science to do the same in a Laser player of any type.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

...especially when you consider that many of those printers can be purchased for the price of a couple of LP records. !

The Achilles heel with CD players is that even the most expensive and otherwise wonderfully engineered models tend to have variants of standard "off the shelf" lasers & transports....leaving them with no better long term serviceability than the £200 players those bits were  designed to be used in .   

Edited by Smokestack

Super Wammer

Just pick up a spare laser or two for the Denon and you should be sorted for the foreseeable future... I've had two 2900 and a later 3910 along my hifi journey and they make fantastic transports too :) 

I got the player of ebay untested, I got a laser at the same time, just in case..... it worked fine just as it was.  What to do with the others. Tempted to try and fix the 5 disc changer just to see if I can. Don't really want it though. I think I will have to do some research in to transports and lasers and how interchangeable they are.

The option I used was to download SACD Extract and then to use, I think, Pure music for replay from the Hard Drive.

If this option is still out there I would thoroughly recommend it. I have pretty much all of my SACD's and vinyl ripped to multiple HDD's as DSD files.

In the past I had a lot of Sony players fail as descibed. On those players the transport was going out of adjustment just enough to affect sacd but

not cd. The service manual showed how to readjust the transport but it needed a service disk which Sony wanted an arm and several legs for.

Of course you could send it back to Sony but again that was expensive. It was cheaper to buy a new player. 

Hmmm that's interesting. Will have a look into some service manuals. I have noticed some DVD drives have an extra motor to adjust the laser angle.