The large Aptitligs are 14 x 17, but have edges that are angled so their footprint is slightly larger. They're a little over one inch thick. 

Zee, I was under the impression the treble problems are because you got the 4200. The treble may/should improve upon its arrival?

• Like 1

I’m wondering the exakt same thing. It arrives tomorrow. Should be a good day to immediately install the mid and treble cards and give it a go. I used this week to follow Paul’s advice on cable management etc and after hearing the new 4200/1 for at least a week will start looking into rack isolation etc with the ikea parts. ;))

Olright, fingers crossed! I am sure it'll come together fine eventually!!

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread. The amp just arrived and I promptly opened it up to install the mids and tweeter cards.

The seller left out the plastic caps for the gain controls behind every channel :( (says they never came with it)

But more importantly channel 1 is missing one of the staffs that the card rests on. And my concern is that it came off with the card or even worse came lose and is now under the circuit board. I’m sure that’s not safe with a metal piece rolling around under the circuit board. I can hear a very soft rattle sound when I lift the amp but the sound comes closer from the area where the speaker terminals are.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Should I risk moving ahead with the installing the aktiv cards?

The owner is going to check if it came off and stayed attached to his 242 aktiv cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zee9 said:

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread. The amp just arrived and I promptly opened it up to install the mids and tweeter cards.

The seller left out the plastic caps for the gain controls behind every channel :( (says they never came with it)

But more importantly channel 1 is missing one of the staffs that the card rests on. And my concern is that it came off with the card or even worse came lose and is now under the circuit board. I’m sure that’s not safe with a metal piece rolling around under the circuit board. I can hear a very soft rattle sound when I lift the amp but the sound comes closer from the area where the speaker terminals are.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Should I risk moving ahead with the installing the aktiv cards?

The owner is going to check if it came off and stayed attached to his 242 aktiv cards

Hi Zee

I can provide a full set of stand-offs for 10gbp plus postage at cost.  They're not genuine Linn parts, but direct equivalents.  PM me if interested.

Just FYI, most used AV5125s are missing at least one of the little caps on the rear.  It seems they're hard to keep hold of!

Edited by sunbeamgls

Hi Zee
I can provide a full set of stand-offs for 10gbp plus postage at cost.  They're not genuine Linn parts, but direct equivalents.  PM me if interested.
Just FYI, most used AV5125s are missing at least one of the little caps on the rear.  It seems they're hard to keep hold of!

Thanks for the offer. My bigger concern is if that binding post is lost under the mother board.

• Like 1

Zee - sorry to hear about this unfortunate turn of events! Hope it gets sorted out soon!!

Zee - sorry to hear about this unfortunate turn of events! Hope it gets sorted out soon!!

The seller found the post so the amp is connected with the mid/tweeter cards. Luckily the amp also has the corresponding stickers for the mids and tweets on the back.

Now to the sound. Everything is really balanced now in regard of frequencies but there is something I notice now. I hope my hearing hasn’t become this good but it sounds like my source could be improved. ;)

9 hours ago, zee9 said:

The seller found the post so the amp is connected with the mid/tweeter cards. Luckily the amp also has the corresponding stickers for the mids and tweets on the back

That's excellent news. It's good to know that you got the A4200 running to your satisfaction.

9 hours ago, zee9 said:

Everything is really balanced now in regard of frequencies but there is something I notice now. I hope my hearing hasn’t become this good but it sounds like my source could be improved. ;)

Of course the sound of an MDSM can be 'improved' upon, or Linn would not sell any KDSMs and ADSMs :). But that's not really the point. You have been at a stage in the development of your system when you have been listening, critically, to the equipment and not to the music. It's now time to relax and enjoy. Decisions about the source can and should come later. There'll be plenty of people to tell you that the ADSM/3 (or, given what you already have, an ASH and the Exaktbox 6) would be a really good upgrade to your system, and so it would. But, I venture to suggest, not just yet. And perhaps not ever if you are able to settle into happy enjoyment of what you have, which is a very good system.

If the upgrade bug insists on enlarging the hole in your pocket, a better first step might be to complete the amplifier project, either by fitting the C3200 with Dynamik, or, for best matching, replacing it with a 2200. This would not give you the improvement you'd get from replacing the source, but it is likely to be a lot less money. More importantly, it gives you a good amplifier 'infrastructure' that you will very likely be able to keep in the system for a long time to come. When I upgraded to Exakt, the cost of the pair of A4200s I had to buy seemed pretty eye-watering, even though I was taking advantage of a Linn Summer Offer. But once I had the amps in place, subsequent upgrades became that much more affordable, until I reached a point of balance and the state of "happy enjoyment" that I am recommending.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 01:33, zee9 said:

The seller found the post so the amp is connected with the mid/tweeter cards. Luckily the amp also has the corresponding stickers for the mids and tweets on the back.

Now to the sound. Everything is really balanced now in regard of frequencies but there is something I notice now. I hope my hearing hasn’t become this good but it sounds like my source could be improved. ;)

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end!

So you would say that the combination of x100 and x200 amps introduced a noticable inbalance?

Beware of the upgradeitits & let the change settle in ;)

On 07/06/2019 at 15:33, Tendaberry said:

There's no problem mixing the C2200 and Akurate 2200 when bi-amping horizontally. If used vertically, I would say don't mix. That's why it's important for Zee9 to get 3200's of similar age, because they are likely to be used vertically. I'm using Majiks 4100 and 6100 of different vintage horizontally for my active Akubariks. Always use the newest amps for tweeter or super-tweeter (or 3K array).

Is there recommended way of connecting two multi-channel amps to a pair of speakers in exakt configuration? Horizontally or vertically?

5 minutes ago, rduras said:

Is there recommended way of connecting two multi-channel amps to a pair of speakers in exakt configuration? Horizontally or vertically?

I haven't found any specific advice from Linn (others may have done better), but common sense would seem to indicate that, if the amplifiers are identical, a single amp should be used for each speaker. My dealer also believes that there is an optimal allocation of amp channels to speaker drivers, but as that is largely a function of the amplifier layout, it will be model-specific.

By way of example, my (5 way) Akubariks are driven by 2 x A4200 and 1 x 2200 amplifiers. The 4200s are each allocated to separate speakers; only the 2200 is shared.

If different amplifier models are used, the "best" channels, as indicated in previous posts, to the tweeters and/or mid-range units (with some speaker models, it may be be better to give priority to the mid-range). Personally, I would not generally prioritise supertweeters over midrange units, partly because the power demand of the former is so low, and partly because I believe that most people's hearing is more sensitive to SQ changes in the midrange than in the very high frequencies. But, as both systems and individual listeners vary, that can only be a general view.

David

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end!
So you would say that the combination of x100 and x200 amps introduced a noticable inbalance?
Beware of the upgradeitits & let the change settle in

Well the Akurate amplification thru out is so far the best sound but Majik level amplification (mids and bass) with Akurate on the highs is better than the other way around

The Akurate level amplification just on the bass leaves the mids and highs sounding very stressed for power if that sounds right.

Next experiment is to try the streamer to my unidisk as a preamp as I really liked that sound when my source and preamp was just the Unidisc