The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Mutzgoatz

Spendor A4 v Dynaudio Special 40 demo

23 hours ago, Mutzgoatz said:

Definitely not after something too analytical, exciting or forward. More detailed, but with some natural flow/punch and warmth would be nice. 

Pathos.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Pathos.

There is also Unison Research Unico; Vincent; Electrocompaniet; Audi Analogue; Luxman.....and as I am currently finding out......Gato DIA 250S

I currently use a unlco 90 ::::::::::a very nice amp indeed .

• Like 1

Gotta love the Italian sound..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deggie said:

I currently use a unlco 90 ::::::::::a very nice amp indeed .

Fabulous amp , especially with harbeth

• Upvote 1

Hi Mutz,

Few thoughts:

I agree with Phil, listening at a dealers gives you a flavour; but, the only way to know will be to listen to the speakers in your own room.

IF the dealer is being helpful, and will assist in the home demo, then having started down that track I wouldn't then dive into the second hand market - as good dealers ARE giving a service and need to be supported. But, I would look at a few dealers with different stock if at all possible, AND bare in mind the dealers sell second hand and will also lend out that gear.

If you are minded to concentrate on the second hand market then I would recommend Bake Offs to get an idea of what different equipment sounds like, but you will be more constrained in getting the benefit of a home demo.

If I am reading the thread aright you have sold off your equipment and are now starting from scratch?

Assuming this is correct then this may well be the right time to use a dealer, as there is synergy involved in any system, and they should be able to demonstrate something to you that works in your room; and, if it costs more than your current budget, show you the most monetarily efficient way to get to what you want whilst giving you something you can enjoy now.

On 06/06/2019 at 10:10, Mutzgoatz said:

Anyone heard these speakers and would be able to give their two pennies worth?

I own the Spendor D7 and extensively demoed the Special 40s, in store.  For my money, the Special 40 might be the one of the great loudspeaker deals around. I found them superior to the far more expensive contour 20.   I heard the Special 40s through my Arcam A39 and a Hegel 360 and would not say they "fell apart" when pushed.  They are room filling, toe tapping and provide and immense amount of sound for their diminutive size. For reference, I was coming from the A39 and LS50s. 

I think the A39, second hand now, or a Hegel 90/190 or Rost would be a fine amp for either speaker.  I've heard the A4 and A7 just once in passing.  They both were quality, but I didn't think they were special. The 40s are indeed.

• Upvote 1

On 12/06/2019 at 11:39, ChemMan said:

I own the Spendor D7 and extensively demoed the Special 40s, in store.  For my money, the Special 40 might be the one of the great loudspeaker deals around. I found them superior to the far more expensive contour 20.   I heard the Special 40s through my Arcam A39 and a Hegel 360 and would not say they "fell apart" when pushed.  They are room filling, toe tapping and provide and immense amount of sound for their diminutive size. For reference, I was coming from the A39 and LS50s. 

I think the A39, second hand now, or a Hegel 90/190 or Rost would be a fine amp for either speaker.  I've heard the A4 and A7 just once in passing.  They both were quality, but I didn't think they were special. The 40s are indeed.

Thanks Chemman (and others for your replies).

Special 40 is what I'm leaning towards. They seemed better resolving and just felt a bit more engaging and fun to listen to. They'll probably be easier to manage in my bedroom too. 

Any recommendations on suitable, reasonably priced stands? 

Decided that it’s mad to think about spending this sort of money based on a shop demo alone. So borrowing the Special 40’s for a home demo this weekend. 

They can only lend me one set up at a time (understandably). So they suggested a Rega Elicit R to start with (despite personal reservations it may not get the best out of the speakers), along with a Bluenote streamer thing. 

I’m sure this will give a good first flavour anyway; presumably changing up the amp will only offer relatively subtle changes; the room itself being the most influential aspect. If they don’t wow me, then it’s back to the drawing board to consider a different amp (Roksan Blak, Exposure 3010S2, Hegel H190, Primare i25 all spring to mind), and potentially changing the speakers to Spendor A4 or Kef R5, depending on how the bass behaves in my room at home.

The tricky part is getting home access to these different amps within a short timeframe, as Audio T only stock Rega and Primare out of the aforementioned. Perhaps Richer Sounds will allow a home demo of the Roksan Blak…

Will report back after initial impressions this weekend.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mutzgoatz said:

Decided that it’s mad to think about spending this sort of money based on a shop demo alone. So borrowing the Special 40’s for a home demo this weekend. 

They can only lend me one set up at a time (understandably). So they suggested a Rega Elicit R to start with (despite personal reservations it may not get the best out of the speakers), along with a Bluenote streamer thing. 

I’m sure this will give a good first flavour anyway; presumably changing up the amp will only offer relatively subtle changes; the room itself being the most influential aspect. If they don’t wow me, then it’s back to the drawing board to consider a different amp (Roksan Blak, Exposure 3010S2, Hegel H190, Primare i25 all spring to mind), and potentially changing the speakers to Spendor A4 or Kef R5, depending on how the bass behaves in my room at home.

The tricky part is getting home access to these different amps within a short timeframe, as Audio T only stock Rega and Primare out of the aforementioned. Perhaps Richer Sounds will allow a home demo of the Roksan Blak…

Will report back after initial impressions this weekend.

Did you manage to hear the Special 40's against the Kef R5's?

I have the R5's and I think they are probably one of the best speakers on the market at the moment, but I am potentially moving to a terraced/upstairs flat and therefore wont be able to have the bass that these develop thundering through the walls and floors, and may have to change to standmounts. The 40's where one of the possibilities for a replacement but I havent anywhere local to get a try of them. 

Also, if you are looking for stands, Hifonix are selling them with the Dynaudio stands included for the same RRP

https://www.hifonix.co.uk/detail/dynaudio-special-40-grey-birch-high-gloss-high-end-standmount-speaker-pair-?color=greybirch

1 hour ago, The Chronicals said:

Did you manage to hear the Special 40's against the Kef R5's?

I have the R5's and I think they are probably one of the best speakers on the market at the moment, but I am potentially moving to a terraced/upstairs flat and therefore wont be able to have the bass that these develop thundering through the walls and floors, and may have to change to standmounts. The 40's where one of the possibilities for a replacement but I havent anywhere local to get a try of them. 

Also, if you are looking for stands, Hifonix are selling them with the Dynaudio stands included for the same RRP

https://www.hifonix.co.uk/detail/dynaudio-special-40-grey-birch-high-gloss-high-end-standmount-speaker-pair-?color=greybirch

Nah not yet. I was going to see how the Special 40s go first. I'm in a 2 bed mid-terrace house, so likewise I expect R5 might be a bit much! Will let you know though if I demo both speakers, so you have a reference point. 

Thanks a lot for the stands heads up! Could be useful for negotiating like for like with Audio T (if I go with them).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mutzgoatz said:

Nah not yet. I was going to see how the Special 40s go first. I'm in a 2 bed mid-terrace house, so likewise I expect R5 might be a bit much! Will let you know though if I demo both speakers, so you have a reference point. 

Thanks a lot for the stands heads up! Could be useful for negotiating like for like with Audio T (if I go with them).

That would be good, nice one.

The thing with thr R's though is the bass didn't 'come on' till at least 120 hours through...so make sure you get a well worn in demo set! :) 

Theres a review of the R5's in HifiWorld this month, I might get a copy to read

https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/

59 minutes ago, The Stifmeister said:

The R5's are stunning, mine are properly run in now so I'm looking for some Amp recommendations , budget 2-3k.

Depends what type of sound you want...but I'm in audio heaven matching a Pathos Inpol Remix II to the R5's!

• Like 1

I am sure there might be one or two in Bristol area who just might bring an amp or two to try with the special 40 maybe. Look forward to how you get on