Mutzgoatz

Spendor A4 v Dynaudio Special 40 demo

23 hours ago, Mutzgoatz said:

Definitely not after something too analytical, exciting or forward. More detailed, but with some natural flow/punch and warmth would be nice. 

Pathos.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I currently use a unlco 90 ::::::::::a very nice amp indeed .

• Like 1

Gotta love the Italian sound..

• Like 1

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, deggie said:

I currently use a unlco 90 ::::::::::a very nice amp indeed .

Fabulous amp , especially with harbeth

• Upvote 1

Hi Mutz,

Few thoughts:

I agree with Phil, listening at a dealers gives you a flavour; but, the only way to know will be to listen to the speakers in your own room.

IF the dealer is being helpful, and will assist in the home demo, then having started down that track I wouldn't then dive into the second hand market - as good dealers ARE giving a service and need to be supported. But, I would look at a few dealers with different stock if at all possible, AND bare in mind the dealers sell second hand and will also lend out that gear.

If you are minded to concentrate on the second hand market then I would recommend Bake Offs to get an idea of what different equipment sounds like, but you will be more constrained in getting the benefit of a home demo.

If I am reading the thread aright you have sold off your equipment and are now starting from scratch?

Assuming this is correct then this may well be the right time to use a dealer, as there is synergy involved in any system, and they should be able to demonstrate something to you that works in your room; and, if it costs more than your current budget, show you the most monetarily efficient way to get to what you want whilst giving you something you can enjoy now.

On 06/06/2019 at 10:10, Mutzgoatz said:

Anyone heard these speakers and would be able to give their two pennies worth?

I own the Spendor D7 and extensively demoed the Special 40s, in store.  For my money, the Special 40 might be the one of the great loudspeaker deals around. I found them superior to the far more expensive contour 20.   I heard the Special 40s through my Arcam A39 and a Hegel 360 and would not say they "fell apart" when pushed.  They are room filling, toe tapping and provide and immense amount of sound for their diminutive size. For reference, I was coming from the A39 and LS50s. 

I think the A39, second hand now, or a Hegel 90/190 or Rost would be a fine amp for either speaker.  I've heard the A4 and A7 just once in passing.  They both were quality, but I didn't think they were special. The 40s are indeed.

On 12/06/2019 at 11:39, ChemMan said:

I own the Spendor D7 and extensively demoed the Special 40s, in store.  For my money, the Special 40 might be the one of the great loudspeaker deals around. I found them superior to the far more expensive contour 20.   I heard the Special 40s through my Arcam A39 and a Hegel 360 and would not say they "fell apart" when pushed.  They are room filling, toe tapping and provide and immense amount of sound for their diminutive size. For reference, I was coming from the A39 and LS50s. 

I think the A39, second hand now, or a Hegel 90/190 or Rost would be a fine amp for either speaker.  I've heard the A4 and A7 just once in passing.  They both were quality, but I didn't think they were special. The 40s are indeed.

Thanks Chemman (and others for your replies).

Special 40 is what I'm leaning towards. They seemed better resolving and just felt a bit more engaging and fun to listen to. They'll probably be easier to manage in my bedroom too. 

Any recommendations on suitable, reasonably priced stands?