Turk 182

measurements - do they really matter that much ?

44 minutes ago, Tin said:

I'm not quite sure why you complained about me not taking you seriously.

That's because I didn't. 

• Haha 1

I'm so happy for you xD

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, tuga said:

I don't think so, but I am only measuring frequency response at the listening spot (and I don't do it unless I have to).

OK. That's not going to tell you very much about your system but I suppose it has some limited uses.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

OK. That's not going to tell you very much about your system but I suppose it has some limited uses.

Each measurement focuses on a specific parameter. A room response measurement focuses on room response. It's useful to get the best response at the listening seat by helping you find the best speaker and sweet-spot position.

Some electronics will affect bass response audibly and measuring may lead to a change in speaker positioning.

Super Wammer
53 minutes ago, tuga said:

Each measurement focuses on a specific parameter. A room response measurement focuses on room response. It's useful to get the best response at the listening seat by helping you find the best speaker and sweet-spot position.

Some electronics will affect bass response audibly and measuring may lead to a change in speaker positioning.

Yes, I understand that. I didn't say it was useless, I said it is of limited value. I was more intrigued by the times when you think something has changed about your system so you measure it to find out what has changed. An FR measurement is not going to pick up many things that could have changed.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/futterman-h-3a-power-amplifier

Conclusion
This is one of those puzzling instances where an objectively superb amplifier just does not seem to deliver quite what one would expect in the way of subjective performance. Every instrument test we gave the Futterman H3-A (response checks, squarewaves, IM distortion measurements) showed it to be one of the best amplifiers we've ever encountered. Yet its low end performance on every speaker we tried it on was less satisfying to the ear than was that of some other amplifiers that don't measure as well. We wish we could at least volunteer some educated guesses as to why this might be the case, but we're stumped.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mentt said:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/futterman-h-3a-power-amplifier

Conclusion
This is one of those puzzling instances where an objectively superb amplifier just does not seem to deliver quite what one would expect in the way of subjective performance. Every instrument test we gave the Futterman H3-A (response checks, squarewaves, IM distortion measurements) showed it to be one of the best amplifiers we've ever encountered. Yet its low end performance on every speaker we tried it on was less satisfying to the ear than was that of some other amplifiers that don't measure as well. We wish we could at least volunteer some educated guesses as to why this might be the case, but we're stumped.

This is a 1967 report...

Posted (edited)
On 06/06/2019 at 18:49, Fatmarley said:

Talking of measurements -  Kef LS50

I've never heard them but looking at the frequency response, it would be interesting to know if some vocals sound a bit glassy/bright?

Nope. I ran a pair on a few setups and they were never bright or shouty. Wonderful soundstage and a low end that defies the size of the box. Really rather good for the price. A bit fussy regarding amp choices and need a fair amount welly up em. Decent heavy stands are also a must, as well as some breathing space. 

Edited by Tristan
  • Like 1

On 13/08/2019 at 22:40, tuga said:

This is a 1967 report...

Exactly 

"We emphasize this point because the subjective listening results that Stereophile obtained in the low-bass region may well be due to the size of the coupling capacitors used in the H-3A that was tested. We ore currently experimenting with much larger values of capacitance, as this is the only part of the H-3A's entire circuit that could affect the very low bass response."

800uF is a bit low....