Turk 182

measurements - do they really matter that much ?

Measurement generally aren't going to matter a great deal unless they directly correlate to what you're trying to achieve.

E.g. frequency responses are all going to be much of a much ness, to know its +/- 3db from 20hz to 20kz really isn't going to tell you much

Power output of an amp might be useful, if you know your speakers need a lot of current to drive them properly then you can dismiss low output amps.

Think of measurements as a kind of indicator, it might give some initial view or impression, but in the end only listening will tell.

Measurements are vital in the design ,engineering and production of any product.

That said, in the field of Hi Fi ...and particularly in the Digital era...we haven't always known what to measure or why it's important.  ;)

3 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

thanks for the reply but do you believe we can currently measure all aspect for which we judge the sound of a system ?

I don't know. For all we know someone could invent some new measuring device that measures something that's never been measured before.

Also , measurements don't tell you how something sounds subjectively, unless there's something very obviously wrong.

Unless you're designing stuff, use your ears would be my advice.

Measurements imo is a good starting point. Like building a house with good foundation but my ears will still decide for the finishing touch.:)

4 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

as the title states measurements do they really matter that much ?

i have read that for example one amplifier may "measure" better than another but may not actually sound better to a certain listener !

personally i'm not to fussed about how something measures as not being technical it means nothing to me anyway...

my approach is simply to plug a new bit of kit in (hardware, cable or accessory) listen over some time and if i like it keep it if not send it back !

(its the method i will use when auditioning kit for a new system i will be getting soon).

i also believe, right or wrong, that not all aspects of a system can currently be measured any way - what are you thoughts ?

below is a video that i found interesting from the 8 min mark.

56 pages on the same topic here 

fill your boots.

1 hour ago, bencat said:

Okay added toi ignored .

that's devastating to read but i think i'll cope !

Measurements have been covered so many times before and I raised a post not long ago about how fed up I am of it..

@Turk 182, you do seem to want to be owning the page with as many posts as possible, just sayin

Posted (edited)

Same old same old...

You know, there is a search function at the top of the page. You can use it to discover the countless threads that already exist on most topics and you can add to them.

Alternatively, you can get on people's nerves by pointlessly starting new threads about things that have been discussed endlessly in the past.

Just saying.

(not aimed at you J. Bad post timing!)

Edited by rabski
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Measurements have been covered so many times before and I raised a post not long ago about how fed up I am of it..

@Turk 182, you do seem to want to be owning the page with as many posts as possible, just sayin

no i'm just responding to these attacks !

(i have allowed my other threads started such as 16 bit / 44.1 khz etc  to flow)

would be interesting to read what posters thought of the attached video ?!

Edited by Turk 182

1 minute ago, rabski said:

Same old same old...

You know, there is a search function at the top of the page. You can use it to discover the countless threads that already exist on most topics and you can add to them.

Alternatively, you can get on people's nerves by pointlessly starting new threads about things that have been discussed endlessly in the past.

Just saying.

(not aimed at you J. Bad post timing!)

apologies but as time moves on opinions can and do change hence the resurrection of old topics.

not trying to be argumentative (a troll ?) but what exactly are we not allowed to discuss ?

there is a useful block feature on this forum which i have been alerted too - i'm using it now so other users can use it to block me !

It's not a matter of not allowing discussion. It's simply that there are currently a load of new threads about things for which there are already threads. It's much better to add to existing threads. That brings them back to the top of the pile so to speak, so why not?

All that happens when you start a new thread when there is already one (or more) on the same topic is that if someone searches for information, they get loads of alternatives; most of which just say exactly what has already been said (often countless times).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rabski said:

It's not a matter of not allowing discussion. It's simply that there are currently a load of new threads about things for which there are already threads. It's much better to add to existing threads. That brings them back to the top of the pile so to speak, so why not?

All that happens when you start a new thread when there is already one (or more) on the same topic is that if someone searches for information, they get loads of alternatives; most of which just say exactly what has already been said (often countless times).

ok understood.

if i start any new threads i will do a search and resurrect an older thread or be more "original" with the topic started !

• Like 1

Some basic measurements might affect my choices. For instance, amplifier power, speaker sensitivity and speaker bass response. These don't tell a full story, however.

In the end, I also take advice from my dealer and from my ears, and these pieces of advice often end up overruling any published measurements.

Important things for me are musicality and emotional communication, and I'm not sure that either of these can easily be measured using technical means.

There are forum members who'll take measurements of their room so as to apply acoustic treatments or reposition their speakers so as to make it a better listening room.

There are forum members who'll just use their ears to achieve this.

There are forum members who don't have the scope to change their room.

There are members who will scoff when I describe how I work and there are others who will support how I work.

If you find yourself at the opposite pole to another member then that's where you're at and no amount of debate is likely to change that.

This is a broad church and there's room for everyone, but there are are also some people with very clear and very firmly held opinions in various directions, so it might come down to choosing what feels right to you from all of the shared advice.

And it might also come down to not getting too troubled by a firmly held opposing view.