The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Turk 182

measurements - do they really matter that much ?

as the title states measurements do they really matter that much ?

i have read that for example one amplifier may "measure" better than another but may not actually sound better to a certain listener !

personally i'm not to fussed about how something measures as not being technical it means nothing to me anyway...

my approach is simply to plug a new bit of kit in (hardware, cable or accessory) listen over some time and if i like it keep it if not send it back !

(its the method i will use when auditioning kit for a new system i will be getting soon).

i also believe, right or wrong, that not all aspects of a system can currently be measured any way - what are you thoughts ?

below is a video that i found interesting from the 8 min mark.

Super Wammer

Measurements are a useful way of showing consistency during a production build and checking faults..Things like frequency response, power-output, distortion , hum etc are important factors. However this does not necessarily define  how one amplifier will sound compared to another, since music or speech is a very complex waveform and is difficult to measure. Listening is the only way to hear the performance you are looking for.

Alan

• Upvote 2

I'm finding it increasingly hard to believe that you aren't simply trolling this forum @Turk 182. You say you haven't owned a hifi for 3 years and don't appear to have any immediate interest or plans to change this.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fatmarley said:

The frequency response definitely matters but something that measures a bit wonky can sound subjectively flat.

thanks for the reply but do you believe we can currently measure all aspect for which we judge the sound of a system ?

Edited by Turk 182

5 minutes ago, Radioham said:

Measurements are a useful way of showing consistency during a production build and checking faults..Things like frequency response, power-output, distortion , hum etc are important factors. However this does not necessarily define  how one amplifier will sound compared to another, since music or speech is a very complex waveform and is difficult to measure. Listening is the only way to hear the performance you are looking for.

Alan

+1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'm finding it increasingly hard to believe that you aren't simply trolling this forum @Turk 182. You say you haven't owned a hifi for 3 years and don't appear to have any immediate interest or plans to change this.

i have stated that i will audition and purchase some kit in the near future and have asked questions regarding the choices available !

but seriously MartinC are you related to TrevC ?!

Edited by Turk 182

Measurements are essential during design and test, but more of a recreational pass time for the user.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
46 minutes ago, Turk 182 said:

i have stated that i will audition and purchase some kit in the near future and have asked questions regarding the choices available !

but seriously MartinC are you related to TrevC ?!

Sadly I find myself agreeing with MartinC you have no Personal info no Wigwam info and you just seem to ask questions that have proved to be areas of heated argument on the Wam . Unless this changes and you decide to be apart of this forum with constructive views and adding to the good things that are here then you are a Troll and I will just add to my ignored.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bencat said:

Sadly I find myself agreeing with MartinC you have no Personal info no Wigwam info and you just seem to ask questions that have proved to be areas of heated argument on the Wam . Unless this changes and you decide to be apart of this forum with constructive views and adding to the good things that are here then you are a Troll and I will just add to my ignored.

hi benecat

as stated a number of times i currently do not have a system - true.

i am in the process of gathering information regarding a future purchase - i thought a forum would be a good place to ask ?!

my previous system was sold 3 years ago - it consisted of a musical fidelity x ray cd player, the matching xa1 amp and some b&w 601 s2 speakers.

this replaced a technics midi system and was bought mainly on how it looked to be honest - the fact it sounded much better than my technics system came as no surprise !

this system served me well for years but because hifi is not my main interest in life chopping and changing kit is not something i do or could be bothered to do to be honest...

the system was sold because i needed cash and listening to music took a back seat as such - other priorities in life etc so i had a lack of time to actually sit down and listen...

i have asked questions on future system choices in other threads - if you read through my questions you will see this regarding yamaha kit to the avi dm12's...

as for "constructive" views my technical knowledge is limited - i like listening to music not taking kit apart, measuring etc so i'm not sure what you want me to add ?

i gave my view on the audio desk treatment in my thread yesterday. i tried it and found that it worked - its not my fault a few members get angry at me stating this experience.

overall this is a public forum and any body can post threads and reply to subjects as long they are not insulting others - the moderators soon cut that out anyway.

so feel free to ignore my threads if you wish - just like i have ignored other threads that i have nothing "constructive" to add to or are of no interest to me.

overall its only a hifi forum - not something to take so seriously.

Edited by Turk 182

Measurements are for people with rulers.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bodgit said:

Measurements are for people with rulers.

it seems there are few people on here who want to "rule" this forum and i'm not referring to the moderators !

1. Measurements = using measuring kit to measure something or the other. 

2. Specifications  = documented list of the maker's version of the above.  

I look at 2 out of interest and have no means/interest in 1.  

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Turk 182 said:

hi benecat

as stated a number of times i currently do not have a system - true.

i am in the process of gathering information regarding a future purchase - i thought a forum would be a good place to ask ?!

my previous system was sold 3 years ago - it consisted of a musical fidelity x ray cd player, the matching xa1 amp and some b&w 601 s2 speakers.

this replaced a technics midi system and was bought mainly on how it looked to be honest - the fact it sounded much better than my technics system came as no surprise !

this system served me well for years but because hifi is not my main interest in life chopping and changing kit is not something i do or could be bothered to do to be honest...

the system was sold because i needed cash and listening to music took a back seat as such - other priorities in life etc so i had a lack of time to actually sit down and listen...

i have asked questions on future system choices in other threads - if you read through my questions you will see this regarding yamaha kit to the avi dm12's...

as for "constructive" views my technical knowledge is limited - i like listening to music not taking kit apart, measuring etc so i'm not sure what you want me to add ?

i gave my view on the audio desk treatment in my thread yesterday. i tried it and found that it worked - its not my fault a few members get angry at me stating this experience.

overall this is a public forum and any body can post threads and reply to subjects as long they are not insulting others - the moderators soon cut that out anyway.

so feel free to ignore my threads if you wish - just like i have ignored other threads that i have nothing "constructive" to add to or are of no interest to me.

overall its only a hifi forum - not something to take so seriously.

Okay added toi ignored .

• Like 1