toms wait

absolutely had enough

I got my Audio Innovations 500 upgraded significantly.  Including to run 5881 valves, no tape loop, no balance control, no phono, upgraded selector switch and volume pot.  David Coe fitted a power supply and all sorts of new caps etc.  Since then most of the hardwiring has been replaced.  It has now developed a crackle in the RHS channel.  Whilst it is doubtless a simple repair, I think I have had enough of valves faff, should it stay or should it go?  

Replaced all the pre-amp valves to no avail.  Checked wiring nothing loose.  Probably driver valves but had enough!

17 minutes ago, toms wait said:

I got my Audio Innovations 500 upgraded significantly.  Including to run 5881 valves, no tape loop, no balance control, no phono, upgraded selector switch and volume pot.  David Coe fitted a power supply and all sorts of new caps etc.  Since then most of the hardwiring has been replaced.  It has now developed a crackle in the RHS channel.  Whilst it is doubtless a simple repair, I think I have had enough of valves faff, should it stay or should it go?  

Replaced all the pre-amp valves to no avail.  Checked wiring nothing loose.  Probably driver valves but had enough!

Could it be the transformer? The 300mk2 I bought new back in the day developed a fault after two weeks (took three months for the distributor to get it replaced).

yes, valves can that effect.... I bailed out of valves and went 100% solid state for much the same reasons. However correctly employed they can add that 'being there' realism. Hence, the valve phono stage has crept back into my system and is conjuring a bit of glass bottle magic I was missing.

I am sure David will get it working 100% and unless you intend to follow the previous posters advice, you will need to fix it to sell it anyway....

spending money now and again is part of valve ownership once the gear is a few years or even decades old.

• Upvote 1

Greg,

Dont give up now you are nearly there , What big valves are you using ? I have 4 EL34 's and 4 KT77's , I understand the amp is auto biasing so swapping vales is easy , Anyone up your end of the country that coud loan you a set of 4 ?

Or send yours off for testing ?  Anthony Matthews at Tube Distinction does valve testing 

https://tubedistinctions.co.uk

Can only echo the thoughts of others above....it can be an amazing amplifier, think of it as running a classic car in other words very rewarding.

Good luck.:^

• Like 1

Swap the two 5881 valves on the left with the two on the right, if the crackle changes channel then likely you have a valve on the way out.

As a long time user of an S500 the 5881 was not my favourite choice, I went back to EL34’s for their extra punch but I have heard good things about JJ KT 77’s as well.

If David has worked his magic on your amp (as he did with mine) then you have got a hugely musical device that will take a significant spend to comprehensively better and the work you have had done should give you many years of reliability.

As a sneaky temptation, take a look at the Living Voices that have just popped up in the classifieds, a killer combination with this amp.

Quick extra thought. I am not familiar with your phono stage, it looks an intriguing device based on a quick google. If you are using an MM cart don’t discount the built in phono in the S500, I was amazed how close it got to the Vida I recently purchased.

I have calmed down a bit now.  Thought I had found it, fixed a busted cap lead, but nnnooooohhhh still crackled.

In a fit of impotence I bashed the top plate and the crackle so far (20mins!) has gone!

This amp has had loads done which is why its so damned annoying.

The phono stage is out and all the tape loops, balance, it runs 5881 valves.

Has a David Coe PSU inside and all sorts of new bits.

Sort of looks/sounds like a loose/dry joint.  I rewired all the front wiring, left the transformers alone though.

21 hours ago, insider9 said:

I think you should get rid. Put it in the skip and PM the post code 😁

If this doesn't fix itself that might be a possibility, you guys could buy tickets for a treasure hunt and that'd be the prize.

Might get near its value.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, lostwin said:

Quick extra thought. I am not familiar with your phono stage, it looks an intriguing device based on a quick google. If you are using an MM cart don’t discount the built in phono in the S500, I was amazed how close it got to the Vida I recently purchased.

The phono stage is out of it and sat in a drawer, I use the Parks.

13 hours ago, lostwin said:

Swap the two 5881 valves on the left with the two on the right, if the crackle changes channel then likely you have a valve on the way out.

As a long time user of an S500 the 5881 was not my favourite choice, I went back to EL34’s for their extra punch but I have heard good things about JJ KT 77’s as well.

If David has worked his magic on your amp (as he did with mine) then you have got a hugely musical device that will take a significant spend to comprehensively better and the work you have had done should give you many years of reliability.

As a sneaky temptation, take a look at the Living Voices that have just popped up in the classifieds, a killer combination with this amp.

I shuffled the 5881's and it stayed RHS.  I tired the KT77's and found them bright.  My amp has David perplexed, it is the only Friday afternoon after the pub amp he has encountered.

17 hours ago, Audio Al said:

Greg,

Dont give up now you are nearly there , What big valves are you using ? I have 4 EL34 's and 4 KT77's , I understand the amp is auto biasing so swapping vales is easy , Anyone up your end of the country that coud loan you a set of 4 ?

Or send yours off for testing ?  Anthony Matthews at Tube Distinction does valve testing 

https://tubedistinctions.co.uk

I swapped them around and it stayed RHS, it's definitely a dry joint/duff wire.  After round 1 it is not crackling yet:nerves::nerves:

• Like 1

I'm out of my depth on this topic, but a while back one of my power amps started a crackling noise, it was a resister in a biasing circuit that was going (I think that's what I was told). In case it helps.

I have had a poke about on all circuit boards and hard wire and anything that looked dry, frayed, etc has had a waft of solder over it.

Have it playing now and d'yer'know it ISN"T crackling or fizzing so maybe just maybe we are in love again.

None of the components look fried and many are new or recent.

The reason I was so hacked off is it has had a lot of work and still keeps trying to wind me up by breaking down.

If it was a car and I was a Torquay hotel proprietor it would have been thrashed with a stick by now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3