Turk 182

audio desk systeme glass cd sound improver

4 minutes ago, terrycym said:

I've had one of these Sound Improvers for well over 10 years. None of my created CDs have deteriorated.

I've listened to disks before and after treatment and I hear an improvement, its a small change mind you but still an improvement.

Sometimes even more than the improvement you get swapping cables

BTW

Streaming is not always better than playing the same music from a CD instead (and using the same DAC) 

hi terrycym and thanks for your thoughts.

noted the last point made as regards to streaming not always sounding better than cd into the same dac.

i'll derail my own thread with this link !

LOL, ask yourself why a Blu-ray disc, spinning at more than 5 times the speed and delivering data at 36 Mbit/sec as opposed to 1.2 for CD, doesn't give lots of picture artefacts due to the supposed "wobble?"

Answer: it all gets corrected, and error correction is a software process which can't be seen or heard. Furthermore, the same amount of processing is carried out on every byte, whether there is an error or not - so the whole concept that the transport is somehow "working harder" and golden-eared audiophiles can hear it wheezing is also nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, rabski said:

The 'theory' almost looks as though it makes sense. The trouble as far as I can see is that it is based on the idea that reducing error correction somehow improves things. The whole point is that error correction will always be necessary, and my take on it is that it should not by nature introduce any (partial) issues.

The review comment that it 'clearly' improves dynamic range is the killer for me. What possible process could do this here?

hi rabski

another advantage of reducing disk wobble would be less vibration transferred around the cd transport / player itself.

this may or may not result in an audible improvement but my old mf xray made quite a noisy sound / racket when playing certain disks !

this was cured however by using 3 (russ andrews) oak cones and therefore lifting the unit off the rubber strips the player rested on releasing vibrations (?).

that maybe is a story for another thread !.

7 minutes ago, meninblack said:

LOL, ask yourself why a Blu-ray disc, spinning at more than 5 times the speed and delivering data at 36 Mbit/sec as opposed to 1.2 for CD, doesn't give lots of picture artefacts due to the supposed "wobble?"

Answer: it all gets corrected, and error correction is a software process which can't be seen or heard. Furthermore, the same amount of processing is carried out on every byte, whether there is an error or not - so the whole concept that the transport is somehow "working harder" and golden-eared audiophiles can hear it wheezing is also nonsense.

hi meininblack

are blu-ray player transports better spec than cd ones ?

my xray player had a rattling noise with some disks untill the oak cones were installed !

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, meninblack said:

DVD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray are file based systems. CD is not, so it's not a true comparison.

It depends on the transport, there are some superb CD transports and some cheap and nasty ones.

4 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

DVD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray are file based systems. CD is not, so it's not a true comparison.

True, but in all cases the actual method of read and transfer is the same: one digital domain to another.

I'm not 'anti everything', but as with all such things, if there is no reason why something should work, I have to be sceptical.

This similar issue has come up many times and I always come back to the same answer. Any transfer process in the digital domain cannot follow 'analogue' rules of 'small differences'. If special cables, connectors, pens, cutting tools, etc. could improve the medium of transmission, then inherently any process of digital transfer could be similarly affected.

If I take a disc with a 50mb high-resolution digital image on it, the obvious inference is that it must be possible to make the picture quality better by 'improving' the disc, yet nobody would ever suggest this. And the reason for that, is it doesn't and can't.

What therefore is so different about the way that information is transferred from one point to another in a purely digital format that can only have these small effects on audio?

5 minutes ago, arturo said:

You’ll be putting them in the freezer next . . .

no i won't !

50 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I did find this: 

Does sound different to me.

hi beeray

good find !

the man in this video is convinced of the difference post treatment too !

I do hope this thread is a wind up. Buying one of these would be a total waste of anyone's money, with the added bonuses of wasting time on every CD 'treated', whilst potentially shortening the long term life of the disc in the process.

:wall: