Turk 182

audio desk systeme glass cd sound improver

ok i'm expecting some stick with this thread but here goes...

this device cuts a bevel on the outer edge of a cd which then needs to be coated with a supplied black marker pen.

the result of this process is that the cd becomes perfectly concentric hence it no longer wobbles when being played.

the coating that is then applied to the outer cut edges then blocks and prevents any laser light scattering during playback.

these 2 "improvements" therefore allow a cd players laser mechanism read a disk more accurately with less error correction needed.

i'll stick my neck out now and say i had a disk treated on this machine some years ago and quite frankly it worked ! 

the cd was the album "liminal space" by xanopticon which is a cd that has a lot of, lets say, frantic treble information that can result in ear ache !

pre treatment this cd was torture but after the treatment the treble frequencies, glitches etc became a lot clearer and with much better separation.

if funds are no object, you own 1000's of cds and you wanted to optimise your cd collection it may be a "gadget" to consider.

below is a link to 2 reviews - dare i ask what are your thoughts ? 

https://www.audiodesksysteme.de/images/presse/p34.pdf

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/audio-visual/av-accessories/audio-desk-systeme-cd-improver-678516/review

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

I remember when these came out. Quite a few people were reporting improvements after use. I wonder about the longevity of the CDs after treatment though, as there is a potential to break the seal of plastic around the metal layer of the disc, and for bronzing to occur a few years later.

Now I rip and stream everything, I'm no longer playing about with CD accessories.

Best tweak I ever got was to wash the surface of the disc with water, and is free. Computer screen clean is a good alternative, and is dirt cheap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

i had one and it got wrecked by parcelforce sadly !!! yes i have heard cds treated in this way and can make a difference . i still have a nespa pro sitting in a cupboard unused currently 

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotech2/pro.html

Super Wammer

I’ve still got my green pen somewhere, but I think it has dried out now!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

I wonder about the longevity of the CDs after treatment though, as there is a potential to break the seal of plastic around the metal layer of the disc, and for bronzing to occur a few years later.

This!  It's a pretty silly idea, TBH.

dare i ask what are your thoughts ? 

I dare not reply. I’d probably get banned.
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bigfool1956 said:

I remember when these came out. Quite a few people were reporting improvements after use. I wonder about the longevity of the CDs after treatment though, as there is a potential to break the seal of plastic around the metal layer of the disc, and for bronzing to occur a few years later.

Now I rip and stream everything, I'm no longer playing about with CD accessories.

Best tweak I ever got was to wash the surface of the disc with water, and is free. Computer screen clean is a good alternative, and is dirt cheap.

i was a bit concerned regarding this process wrecking the cd long term but no damage i can see as of yet and i have a 2nd copy still sealed just in case !

49 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

i had one and it got wrecked by parcelforce sadly !!! yes i have heard cds treated in this way and can make a difference . i still have a nespa pro sitting in a cupboard unused currently 

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotech2/pro.html

nespa pro - russ andrews used to sell them !

(he then replaced it with his famous dde-1 which was the stuff of legend !)

28 minutes ago, meninblack said:

This!  It's a pretty silly idea, TBH.

making the cd's disks concentric seems a good idea in theory but i agree cutting may wreck them long term...

maybe they could of made blank cd's perfectly concentric to begin with ?

17 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

No.

You wouldn't  :D

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

go on positive or negative i wont cry !

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Turk 182 said:

nespa pro - russ andrews used to sell them !

(he then replaced it with his famous dde-1 which was the stuff of legend !)

yes i paid an obscene amount for this nespa in my crazy days !!!!!! 

The 'theory' almost looks as though it makes sense. The trouble as far as I can see is that it is based on the idea that reducing error correction somehow improves things. The whole point is that error correction will always be necessary, and my take on it is that it should not by nature introduce any (partial) issues.

The review comment that it 'clearly' improves dynamic range is the killer for me. What possible process could do this here?

I've had one of these Sound Improvers for well over 10 years. None of my created CDs have deteriorated.

I've listened to disks before and after treatment and I hear an improvement, its a small change mind you but still an improvement.

Sometimes even more than the improvement you get swapping cables

BTW

Streaming is not always better than playing the same music from a CD instead (and using the same DAC)