Turk 182

ignoring the "bling" how much for state of the art ?

18 minutes ago, Tin said:

If you read back a little,  I have posted a link which contains a review of my speakers. That review has a pdf attached, containing the measurements and explaining them.

Yeah, I'd seen that. It's does't include an impulse or step response measurement though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tin said:

You actually seem to have a lot of opinions about Linn. I'm sure you wouldn't be joining so many discussions in the Linn parts of these forums if you hadn't. You're our tiny little stalker, aren't you? So cute, yet so very wrong in so, so many ways. 😁

Actually, if you read my posts in this forum, you won't find any opinions about Linn equipment, because I don't have any. But then, accuracy doesn't seem to be your strong point.

21 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yeah, I'd seen that. It's does't include an impulse or step response measurement though.

I doubt that sending them an email about a review over a decade ago will make them add an addendum, but you can try. :P

The best I can offer is the fact that the reviewer is quite positive about them. Does that count? ;)

I know that the German magazine StereoPlay in 2008 considered the passive 212s to be among the 5 best standmounts they had tested, with analogue active 320s somewhat ahead of them. Realising that there must have been an awful lot of speakers that never got tested at all, it is obviously a very subjective result. Still, they weren't near the bottom, so that's something. My German is only just good enough to order food and drinks in restaurants, so I never bothered to try and get the full review. No idea if that review has the graphs you're craving for either obviously.

Straying back to topic: For me standmounts can be 'state of the art' because I see them as parts of a larger total. To me it is as obvious that standmounts need subs, just as turntables need a phono pre. A turntable with integrated pre wouldn't be more 'state of the art' compared to separates. So it's semantics I guess.

Oh, and I still don't like blingy and shiny equipment. But that doesn't mean others can't enjoy them.

The on-axis response and decay aren't particularly stellar on the 242s, and neither is the off-axis response. They wouldn't have gotten into my wishlist:

Lakfig8.jpg

The third pair of speakers I bought were some Linn Helix IIs, this was 1990, my last year at secondary school.

They had the worst grill design ever, the baffle plates kept popping off. The Kustone stands were nice.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tuga said:

The on-axis response and decay aren't particularly stellar on the 242s, and neither is the off-axis response. They wouldn't have gotten into my wishlist:

Lakfig8.jpg

Out of curiosity I looked up the complete review and it said

A system built well around a pair of Linn Akurate 242s could be among the best, most musical you can buy for less than the price of a Subaru Outback.

Judging from the sheer number of directly competing products, $10,000/pair speakers enjoy some measure of popularity these days. As with so many other things, neither I nor anyone else can honestly claim to know more than a fraction of those speakers—but after my months with the Akurate 242, I know it deserves the attention of any such buyer before he or she plunks down plastic on something else. The Akurate is extremely well engineered, has no egregious flaws, and it has soul. Most speakers, at some time or another, will close the door on the music you want to hear; the Linn Akurate 242 seems always to open outward. Brilliant stuff.

Overall, the Linn Akurate 242 demonstrates some impressive audio engineering, though its on-axis behavior needs to be balanced by placement and in setup.—John Atkinson

To me these words mean more than a single graph. I'm not particularly impressed by some of the graphs in the Stirling review on the same website, but I am sure they sound terrific, as the reviewer suggests:

Can very accurate, very neutral, very professional be very fun? Yes—and here's your proof. Heartily recommended.

The Stirling Broadcast LS3/6's measured performance is what I would have expected from a classic BBC-inspired design updated for the 21st century

In the end, it's the experience, not the graphs that are relevant, and it guess we both chose well.

audiolist0108.pdf <- just added this to show how the 242 and 212s were doing in 2008, according to StereoPlay.

Edited by Tin

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Tin said:

Out of curiosity I looked up the complete review and it said

To me these words mean more than a single graph. I'm not particularly impressed by some of the graphs in the Stirling review on the same website, but I am sure they sound terrific, as the reviewer suggests:

In the end, it's the experience, not the graphs that are relevant, and it guess we both chose well.

audiolist0108.pdf

I don't read reviews or personal impressions. They're personal, subjective, useful only to the individual. People like all sorts, have different requirements and some aspects which they favour over others. Sounds good means nothing to anyone else but you. And magazines live off advertising so harly ever produce negative criticism.

But I agree that if one chooses what one likes and is happy then one's made a good choice.

Edited by tuga

Dealer
Posted (edited)

No bling. Just state of the art sub bass :) JL Audio's Gotham v2 :cool: 

x4_7d8e3ee216e91583494c77046881efac.jpg?

x3_7d8e3ee216e91583494c77046881efac.jpg?

Edited by Musicraft
  • Like 1