Turk 182

ignoring the "bling" how much for state of the art ?

so as the title suggests if you remove the gold plating and fancy design touches that make a lot of high end kit look nice but more expensive than it should be how much does it cost to purchase a cd player, integrated amplifier and a set of stand mount speakers that are capable of delivering state of the art performance ?

an example system that has caught my eye would include the esoteric grandioso k1 cd player, its partnering f1 integrated amplifier and a pair of magico q1 stand mount speakers - all have a rrp i believe of £25,000 each !

i personally like the look of these components and believe part of the sky high cost is the fit and finish that may, or may not, contribute to the sound they produce.

so can a similar sound quality really be achieved for a lot less cash by using less extravagant case work and "bling" and which current components stand out as great value for money ?

Image result for esoteric grandioso k1 f1

Image result for magico q1

Posted (edited)

A very hard question to answer but I will say that for me to consider any system state of the art I'd want greater bass extension than standmounts offer. Well, unless really short stands under big speakers count!

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 3

It certainly raises the question of how much "state of the art", is worth it?

There are pruducts that are performance based...and there are products that are "bling based".

Imo Kef Blades would be an example of a performance based. product.

There is plenty of high end equipment that 'just' looks understated and functional.

Of course if someone prefers to pay for bling, that's fine too.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

A very hard question to answer but I will say that for me to consider any system state of the art I'd want greater bass extension than standmounts offer. Well, unless really short stands under big speakers count!

I thought the Monolith in your description was a BK sub?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tin said:

That means that standmounts would work just fine with it.

Errr, the question was about equipment to form a state of the art system. If you're suggesting that adding my ~£500 sub could improve on the proposed £75k system I think that rather supports my original point :D.

Edited by MartinC

Posted (edited)

There is really no way you can get state of the art sound with 6" bass drivers.  If I had the space and money, I'd have horns.  Failing that, mbl omnis or big Tannoys.

Amps would be valve, source vinyl.

Edited by meninblack
  • Upvote 1

Take a nought off the total and you're in the right ball park for absolute state of the art DIY equipment. I can only imagine what you would get, wisely spent, DIY for that expenditure. Even two noughts off and you'd have pretty decent sounds!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jazid said:

Take a nought off the total and you're in the right ball park for absolute state of the art DIY equipment. I can only imagine what you would get, wisely spent, DIY for that expenditure. Even two noughts off and you'd have pretty decent sounds!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'd fully agree sir...synergy and careful shopping in the second hand market, can land a great sounding system for 7500 pounds or why even 750 pounds.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MartinC said:

Errr, the question was about equipment to form a state of the art system. If you're suggesting that adding my ~£500 sub could improve on the proposed £75k system I think that rather supports my original point :D.

I haven't heard the BK Monolith, nor that £75k system, but I have heard a tiny REL Stampede improve on a €40k system with standmounts to the point that the owner didn't want me to take it back home again.

My own pair of REL Strata Vs are also a very, very nice additions to my own setup, of which the stereo part would be well over €30k, excluding the RELs.

I agree that those numbers are only halfway to £75k, but still, it takes a lot of effort to make floorstanders rigid. Deconstructing them into a pair of boxes is a lot easier and cheaper.

There is no sudden magic involved when large drivers appear in the same box with the tiny ones. ;)

My 2 cents.

PS I obviously didn't pay €30k for my system, it's all 2nd, or 3rd hand. I just added the list price to be able to make the comparison.

Edited by Tin

Posted (edited)

Oh don't get me wrong I do think there is a debate to be had about whether a truly optimal system should be restricted to large speakers or if a sub or subs may have a role. My original post was responding to the idea of a state of the art system only having standmount speakers.

Edited by MartinC

Super Wammer

There aren’t any products that I think of as high-end that aren’t bling in some way or another.  Decades ago, Quad Electrostatics probably seemed bling, but now they don’t.  Mind you, Quad amps were always a model of industrial design ahead of styling. 

Actually, Magico speakers look pretty plain unless you choose a automobile paint finish. Whereas Sonus Faber or Wilson Audio look expensive!  

Something like JBL M2s are the sort of thing that springs to mind when someone says 'state of the art speakers' BTW. Not that I've heard any.
p42944365-3.jpg

Really? I’ve heard them and they’re great but a horn and a big paper driver in a big box are hardly pushing the envelope of technology!

For real ‘state of the art’ speakers I’d be thinking in terms of the ADAM Audio OSS, the B&O Beolab 90, the Kii Three and other active designs that optimise the speakers’ performance in the room.

Even in terms of passive designs, I’d put the likes of the B&W 800D3 and Yamaha NS-5000, plus others that have come up with new materials above the JBLs.