robbie010

Mordaunt Short MS400 floor standers or stand mounts?

Super Wammer

Just picked up a lovely looking pair of these speakers on a whim, anyone familiar with them?

Are they supposed to be floor standers or are they best raised off the floor on some sort of stand?

F53403FE-575D-4212-8F63-071389FF756B.png

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

My copy of the 1970 HiFi Yearbook does not specify whether they are floor or stand mount but does say that they have a 1&3/4 inch plinth so they must be floor standers.

Price in 1970 was given as £52 10 shillings 

Dealer

Designed as floorstanders. My dad had a pair...

Lovely looking speakers.

Super Wammer

Suspect they would sound a bit better on stands and away from the floor . But i do agree they look to be a lovely pair of speakers. 

Super Wammer

We’ll they arrived safe and sound and look just as good in the flesh. The full wood cabinets make them feel really sturdy and well made. 

I lashed them up with some new Van Damme blue studio grade cables and they sound great. 

As MartinC said, on their plinths they appear to sit a little low, with the tweeter at roughly shoulder height to my seating position. However, they present a very good central image and wide sound stage. They have a sweet midrange which is crystal clear, the highs may be a tad forward or bright, but they have plenty of bottom end in my small room, you can feel the extended low notes in your belly!  

I may try an additional plinth to raise them slightly or maybe try tilting them back slightly.

Not keen on the old screws for connecting bare speaker cable so I will likely look to install some quality binding posts to take bananas and check over the crossover at the same time. 

Personally, I think they are screaming out for some lovely tube amplification..... the wife disagrees! 😳