vintageaxeman

Are CD drives from redbook cd players to any extent interchangeable?

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

My question concerns the interchangeability of different drives from particular manufacturers. I am currently interested in seeing if I can put a Philips CDMPro2 drive, or a CDM4 which I have, into a machine which doesnt normally use one. So really its a question of the similarity  or compatibility of ribbon cables, motor voltages, requirements and connections, rather than physical dimensions. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Edited by vintageaxeman

Super Wammer

Look this is just my ten pennorth worth and given my lack of technical and practical skills this may be very wrong . Still as thise who know I was never one to shut up when I should so here goes.

As far as I know it is not practical to swop one Phillips CD drive for another as they had very different logic boards which were needed to control the drive and keep it both working and to time . Now if you can do a complete logic board and transport swop I have no idea but I do know that for a repair this sort of thing was not viable. Not because it could be done just the time and hours spent doing it were not economical .

Now in your case were you are doing this as a semi hobby and perhaps to see if it can be done and you are not that bothered about the time taken then it amy be possible . The only issue is that it is unlikely anyone else has bothered to try so you amy well be out on your own .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No (that's a gut feeling guess). But it's an interesting idea, and it may be made to work. I don't know enough to understand the minutiae, but one would think that there could be some interchangableness between parts. A lot of data sheet studying required, and possibly not all information available. They were designed in the first place after all.

It is something I am going to look into when I have finished my valve cassette deck, i.e. about 10 years time. I am about to try and transplant the transport from a Technics SL p350 to a SL p770. I am a bit concerned about setting up the tweakers though. Some chip sets auto calibrate iirc. Very pleased with my CDROM based eternal cd player (in the DIY section) it is definitely my favourite cd player, though a little clunky in use.

Edited by dave
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
16 hours ago, dave said:

No (that's a gut feeling guess). But it's an interesting idea, and it may be made to work. I don't know enough to understand the minutiae, but one would think that there could be some interchangableness between parts. A lot of data sheet studying required, and possibly not all information available. They were designed in the first place after all.

It is something I am going to look into when I have finished my valve cassette deck, i.e. about 10 years time. I am about to try and transplant the transport from a Technics SL p350 to a SL p770. I am a bit concerned about setting up the tweakers though. Some chip sets auto calibrate iirc. Very pleased with my CDROM based eternal cd player (in the DIY section) it is definitely my favourite cd player, though a little clunky in use.

I had, for a short period, a Naim CD777 which used a Pro2, and a Krell KPS20i which likewise used a similar, very professional Philips drive. I have spares of both now that these two machines are long gone, and I am building my own machine now from various old parts. It is good fun experimenting and trying to build a top sounding machine for vitually nothing! 

Looking forward to hearing about your Technics job, and that cassette player sounds interesting!

The CDM pro 2 is pretty much a self contained CDplayer. you just need to add high level control, a dac and power iiuc.

https://www.tentlabs.com/Components/page4/assets/CD pro2 user manual.pdf

The cd4 is a swing arm transport and all the control electronics etc are external. I seem to be accumulating a pile of swing arm players at the moment and most seem to work ok.

an interesting document:

http://radiocom.dn.ua/image/data/pdf/CDM12_24.pdf