newlash09

Tubes vs SS for treble

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, lindsayt said:

For the treble it's probably more down to the individual amp than whether it's solid state or valved. I'd call it a tie between them.

Not having spitty nor overly smooth tweeters is more important than the amp when it comes to getting realistic cymbals etc. That's assuming either the valve or solid state amp meet fairly easy to attain minimum standards.

I agree with one exception: you do want an overly-smooth tweeter. Unless you mean treble roll-off instead of a distortion-free treble.

The best and better integrated tweeter is the one that you can't hear. Perceptually treble should be an extension of the midrange, and it's something that a lot of speakers get wrong.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

Angling my speakers in more results in increased treble.

This happens with all speakers because tweeters (and mids, and woofers) become more directional as frequency increases:

Horizontal directivity of the Scan-Speak D2604 / 833000 (0° black, 15° blue, 30° red, 45°, 60°):

scan_833000_winkel.png

https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/test-scan-speak-d2604-833000/

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are valve amps and there are valve amps - differing designs and differing sound presentation.  Ya listens ya compares (different makes of both Valves and SS)  ya makes ya choice and then ya pays yer money - simples 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@newlash09 IMO your biggest issue is synergy. From what I've read about Davs they excel with clarity. And having heard the PMC Twenty 23 they had very similar traits. In a reflective room that could prove a little too much of a good thing.

You've two choices: Either get some speakers that better suit the amp, something like Spendor or Dynaudio or change the amp to match the speakers, brands such as Accuphase or Luxman.

I wouldn't get too hung up on comparing tubes with SS amps - both can sound great and both are flawed with the wrong speakers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

Definitely good stuff here.

Angling my speakers in more results in increased treble.

What speaker cable do you use @newlash09? I use Mogami 3104 now, after Chord Super Twin Epic, and its far more natural without the obvious forced treble extension of the Chord, and it works well even in a laid back system like mine...and its fairly cheap!

Hi chronicals...I've been using "High end master class" cables so far. And feel they are a bit bright in my room. I just got some transparent audio music wave biwire cables, which Iam yet to try out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tuga said:

I agree with one exception: you do want an overly-smooth tweeter. Unless you mean treble roll-off instead of a distortion-free treble.

The best and better integrated tweeter is the one that you can't hear. Perceptually treble should be an extension of the midrange, and it's something that a lot of speakers get wrong.

This may be down to semantics, but you may want overly smooth tweeter. I don't.

And by overly smooth I mean ones that smooth over transients. So that if I were make a loudness vs time graph in my head where a real instrument would have an Eiffel Tower shaped graph I want my tweeters to recreate this with an Eiffel Tower shaped graph and not a Great Pyramid shaped graph.

Treble instruments in real life can have a real bite and real "ear piercing" sound. I prefer to have that recreated and not smoothed over.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Hi chronicals...I've been using "High end master class" cables so far. And feel they are a bit bright in my room. I just got some transparent audio music wave biwire cables, which Iam yet to try out though.

I always find German cables (and many Hifi components) are designed to reap the resolution as immense as possible! 

Why not try something completely basic and neutral like the Mogami 3104? I think this would give you a good 'base' point and you may find, like me, that it just works for you! I did Cryo mine which took out some of the caveats the cable did have though..I think its always best to use a completely neutral non engineering cable to put a system together with, then you can tweak it with posh cable if you desire.

This being said, when on the budget end of the scale with components, posh cable was a blessing...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lindsayt said:

This may be down to semantics, but you may want overly smooth tweeter. I don't.

And by overly smooth I mean ones that smooth over transients. So that if I were make a loudness vs time graph in my head where a real instrument would have an Eiffel Tower shaped graph I want my tweeters to recreate this with an Eiffel Tower shaped graph and not a Great Pyramid shaped graph.

Treble instruments in real life can have a real bite and real "ear piercing" sound. I prefer to have that recreated and not smoothed over.

I wouldn't call it smoothness but yes that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.