mbabst

Cheapest system for second room

23 hours ago, DavidHB said:

Thanks, Moomin. Pray tell how you achieved this.. All I get is error messages which appear to relate to missing dependencies (my Linux knowledge is almost non-existent), followed by a reversion of the failed install. And you are running Raspbian Stretch (not Jessie) I take it? The info on the OH website indicates that Jessie is required, and that is not compatible with the latest models.

David

It's all in this thread 

Posted (edited)

I've just found a much simpler and cheaper solution which could be of interest:

Google Chromecast Audio and BubbleUPNP Server. Using BubbleUPNP Server you can tell your Chromecast to act as an OpenHome renderer. It's just a click. After that your Chromecast will be visible in Kazoo as a second room. :)

Edited by mbabst
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mbabst said:

Using BubbleUPNP Server you can tell your Chromecast to act as an OpenHome renderer. It's just a click. After that your Chromecast will be visible in Kazoo as a second room. :)

Thank you for that ... but, Is it correct that I can't play to a Linn device and to a Chromecast device with the music in sync by clicking the plus icon in the list of rooms in Kazoo?

Posted (edited)

No, that doesn‘t work for me either. And it seems to work only with MP3, ALAC doesn‘t work. 

Edited by mbabst

On 03/06/2019 at 22:04, DavidHB said:

It's just been discontinued, so there may be some bargains around. The advantage (and disadvantage) of the Kiko is that it is an all-in-one system. You have to use the Kiko speakers, because the (digital) crossovers are housed in the DSM itself. The technology is fully Aktiv, and with the digital crossover is actually a precursor of Exakt. I suspect that it's been discontinued because the styling now looks a bit dated, and the MDSM has been reduced in price to the point where the Kiko cannot compete at its catalogue price.

A quick check of the usual auction sites suggests that the Kiko can be had for not much more than £1,500. At that price, it is good value IMO. As the new price of £2,500, the MDSM is a much better buy, even though you also need to buy speakers to go with it.

David

Having just set up a Kiko with Linn wall brackets (£35) and the improved version of Space Optimisation, I’d second that. Remarkably good value at £1,500 if they can be obtained at that price.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Newton John said:

Having just set up a Kiko with Linn wall brackets (£35) and the improved version of Space Optimisation, I’d second that. Remarkably good value at £1,500 if they can be obtained at that price.

I agree both about the wall brackets (the Kiko was designed for use in small rooms, so works well with the speakers so close to the wall) and abbot SO version 2 with the Kiko. This afternoon I re-optimised my Kiko profile using the new optimisation engine, and the results fully justified the effort. My main Exakt system (at more than 10x the price, new or second hand!) it isn't, but the Kiko is still an easy and satisfying listen. I makes a good second system For anyone who wants a complete, integrated setup that they won't want to upgrade.

David

Edited by DavidHB

I went Sneaky DS and an LK85 for my Bedroom system upgrade. <£500 from eBay for the pair.

This replaced an old Apple TV (AirPlay) to an Arcam rDAC and Marantz PM7003.

Speakers remain as Maudaunt Short MS812’s (£60 off eBay 10 years ago). Maudaunt Short aren’t in SO. So, I’m still on the lookout for some Katans or M109’s to replace these and go full Linn eventually.

The Linn sound is mostly there, though a little muddy without any SO. I’ll do point source SO at some point...

Either way, this setup is a significant upgrade over the previous Apple-Arcam-Marantz electronics. So, another Sneaky DS recommendation.

Not mening to offend but though I realize that appatently some people seem to find advantages in SO,  feeling a system without SO should result in a muddy system tells me there are other issues than lack of SO.

My Kitchen Sneaky with a not so expensive  pair of used Uniks are anything but muddy and I never use SO in any room.

But they would surely benefit from a pre-amp (though that would be too impractical as it would be out of reach for a remote).

2 minutes ago, 90sLinn said:

Not mening to offend but though I realize that appatently some people seem to find advantages in SO,  feeling a system without SO should result in a muddy system tells me there are other issues than lack of SO.

My Kitchen Sneaky with a not so expensive  pair of used Uniks are anything but muddy and I never use SO in any room.

But they would surely benefit from a pre-amp (though that would be too impractical as it would be out of reach for a remote).

No offence taken. Both of my Linn systems are compromised with “Practical” rather than ideal speaker positioning. In this instance SO is a brilliant option.

My mains are Aktiv M140’s with an MDSM and Majik 6100&4100 amps. But, SO’d so they can be moved back level with the AV furniture. Happy wife... Well, she allowed them in the living room.

The Bedroom system is very compromised with my pre-existing rear ported (bunged) MS812’s far too close to the wall. But, this is my only practicable position. Furniture and the need to open the door dictate this. Though, if I got rid of my wife’s wardrobe... Very dangerous... Or, the cheaper option is get some more suitable speakers...

My large rear ported MS812 just aren’t suited to a moderate sized bedroom. But, when you cobble together second and third systems with previous kit, you use the best matches out of what you’ve got and then fix it as the opportunity arises. The bedroom system is miss-matched at present and needs a speaker change. Though, the conservatory speakers would be even worse! The previous bedroom amplifier had a bass knob that could be turned down a touch. SO effectively does this to counter the boundary reinforcement of my practical speaker positioning.

Such is life with family and HiFi...