Turk 182

which cd sounds best on your system ?

Kate Bush's 'Aerial' sounds really enjoyable- it is great music and sound l know.:)

For purely testing your system, the theme from Dark Knight will really test how taut and controlled your set-up is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DSq-LhOyU

yes , one of the earlier tracks used to shake my gas fire it was so deep 

• Like 1

Random Access Memories by Daft Punk is really good sounding and some of the songs are quite nice. It is definitely not my style of music and the first time I heard it I was less than impressed. After a while I started enjoying it and always felt better after listening to it. It has so much positive energy packed in it (or that is how I feel about it).

5 hours ago, ivayvr said:

Random Access Memories by Daft Punk is really good sounding and some of the songs are quite nice. It is definitely not my style of music and the first time I heard it I was less than impressed. After a while I started enjoying it and always felt better after listening to it. It has so much positive energy packed in it (or that is how I feel about it).

This.  The track Georgio Morodo from this Daft Punk album Random Access Memories is a stunning piece of music which will push the boundaries of any system.  

One other: Downtown Church by Patty Griffin - recorded beautifully in a church with wonderful acoustics, it is a fine album.  Instruments are placed in space with huge depth and width to the recording.  And the music, a combination of Americana-style country/roots/bluegrass/gospel, renders the selection of classic American songbook material wonderfully  

This'll test your system to max. Make sure the family are out and crank it up

Cooper Temple Clause. Over compressed. Red DR rating of 5. Play it back to back with a dark green track with appropriate volume adjustment and the compression will be appallingly apparent.

For a few years I've been wondering if some people are more sensitive to dynamic compression that others.

I've seen a Youtube video of a music industry producer who over compresses everything going on about the "lovely detail" that he gets when he uses massive amounts of compression. Low level detail will be boosted up in volume, making it easier to hear. At the same time it makes music sound unnatural / lacking in emotion or impact / not breathing in a natural way.

It's like he uses the left side of his brain (the side that deals with speech and analytical thinking) only when listening to music, whilst I'm using both sides. With the side that handles emotion being engaged too.

Listening to red DR rating albums is like eating a diet of McDonalds. I get tired by the blandness of it all.

By my definition, no overcompressed recording is a good one. All over compressed recordings sound compressed to me. Especially when played back to back with a relatively uncompressed album. I am not aware of any musical genre that suits compression. All you need to do is find a dark green recording of that genre EG 1970's Kraftwerk for electronic music to realise that non compressed or less compressed is better.

18 hours ago, bencat said:

Would agree that I very rarely listen to an album over and over again even when new . In fact more often than not I use LMS  - Random Mix - Song Mix with all artists and genres ticked and let it play whatever comes up . 

I'm the same. With a library of over 20000 tracks stored on my NAS, over the last few months I have mainly been using the Random Song Mix option through my SBT. I never know what's coming up next.

Isn't it compulsory on these types of threads to mention Nils Lofgren and his Live Acoustic CD?  (which is very good BTW).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lindsayt said:

Cooper Temple Clause. Over compressed. Red DR rating of 5. Play it back to back with a dark green track with appropriate volume adjustment and the compression will be appallingly apparent.

For a few years I've been wondering if some people are more sensitive to dynamic compression that others.

I've seen a Youtube video of a music industry producer who over compresses everything going on about the "lovely detail" that he gets when he uses massive amounts of compression. Low level detail will be boosted up in volume, making it easier to hear. At the same time it makes music sound unnatural / lacking in emotion or impact / not breathing in a natural way.

It's like he uses the left side of his brain (the side that deals with speech and analytical thinking) only when listening to music, whilst I'm using both sides. With the side that handles emotion being engaged too.

Listening to red DR rating albums is like eating a diet of McDonalds. I get tired by the blandness of it all.

By my definition, no overcompressed recording is a good one. All over compressed recordings sound compressed to me. Especially when played back to back with a relatively uncompressed album. I am not aware of any musical genre that suits compression. All you need to do is find a dark green recording of that genre EG 1970's Kraftwerk for electronic music to realise that non compressed or less compressed is better.

I think some types of music can take compression better than others, thrash metal is probably one where everything is loud. Classical is the other extreme, Jazz also, fortunately these don't tend to overcompressed. Virtually all music is compressed to a certain extent, yes there are a few recordings that are not but very few. 

If you want to compare compressed with uncompressed then search out Red Hot Chili Peppers - California unmastered version, it is a lot better than the cd version, but I'm still not a fan.

Yes I'm sure some are more sensitive to compression than others, some people like compression, even musicians demand their record sounds loud. 

Nice sounding music, try Blue Mind by Anne Bisson, it is one those audiophile recordings. Also try Patricia Barber ‎– Cafe Blue.

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over, not a fan but this is a pretty good live recording.

The best sounding cd I own is probably Tord Gustavsen - Being There but it will probably sound good on most systems.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, lindsayt said:

Well, compressed or not this track cranked up it's the closest you'll come to hearing it live. I know this as I've seen CTC umpteen times during the 2000s, and even got to know the members quite well, as we used to drink with them in the nearby pubs before they set up their gear.

Didn't you say in another thread: "Treble instruments in real life can have a real bite and real "ear piercing" sound. I prefer to have that recreated and not smoothed over."

CTC album is edginess personified with all frequencies. 

Edited by plasticpenguin

Marseille by Ahmad Jamal is perfect for testing how your system is handling micro dynamics.

Probably even better for the same purpose, Return to Forever by Chick Corea-ECM, one of my favorite albums of all times.

On 04/06/2019 at 19:49, Tarzan said:

Kate Bush's 'Aerial' sounds really enjoyable- it is great music and sound l know.:)

Totally agree - particularly cd2

Most recent Abbey Rd is amazing 

Super Wammer

The Cowboy Junkies, Trinity sessions, is a great single mike live recording.

5 minutes ago, greybeard said:

The Cowboy Junkies, Trinity sessions, is a great single mike live recording.

Lot's of acoustic atmosphere there.

But I prefer the Caution Horses, both artistically and sonically.

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, tuga said:

Lot's of acoustic atmosphere there.

But I prefer the Caution Horses, both artistically and sonically.

It's the simplicity of the recording, and the sense of the venue, that I love. I have the caution horses too, and it is a good album, but my favourite is 21st century blues.