Turk 182

which cd sounds best on your system ?

hi

as the title suggests which cd sounds the best on your system and why ?

my old system that included the musical fidelity xray cd player, the matching xa1 amplifier and b&w 601 s2 speakers always sounded brilliant with the omni trio album "bite size life".

this cd sounded as if it had been mixed on my system - all the sounds seem to leave the speakers as if they were there being played in my room.

it was the go to cd if i wanted to show off and impress any guests !

so which cd in your collection really sings on your system ?

An interesting topic however, I have many good CD’s but I like music so I even if the CD isn’t brilliant, I do like to listen and recently, one of my not so good CD’s (Muse Origin of Symmetry) sounded more pleasant on my latest set up so my system is now more balanced 

• Like 1

That's two questions in one I think.

From my CD collection, the Michael Jackson CDs always sound "the best" because they are mastered exceptionally well - the sound quality is top notch.

I did compile an auditioning CD a while back i.e. burning a number of tracks on a CD-R. The music on that CD-R never sounded as good as from the original CD.

4 minutes ago, Bodgit said:

That's two questions in one I think.

From my CD collection, the Michael Jackson CDs always sound "the best" because they are mastered exceptionally well - the sound quality is top notch.

I did compile an auditioning CD a while back i.e. burning a number of tracks on a CD-R. The music on that CD-R never sounded as good as from the original CD.

hi bodgit

michael jackson - does "beat it" sound good ?

(always sounded terrible on my kit !).

i have read that cd-r copies of originals often sound better (?).

maybe it was something to do with the copying software ?

(i would have no idea just guessing !)

17 minutes ago, Turk 182 said:

hi bodgit

michael jackson - does "beat it" sound good ?

(always sounded terrible on my kit !).

i have read that cd-r copies of originals often sound better (?).

maybe it was something to do with the copying software ?

(i would have no idea just guessing !)

Hi Turk,

Yes Beat it sounds good, all tracks sound really foot tappingly good.

Perhaps its to do with my selection of hifi components and musical tastes.  I was brought up with the sound of ESL57s and really liked the transient response and being a drummer I like a system which has a really good dynamic range and attack, but without sounding fatiguing. The Wadia at the front end and ATC speakers really do this kind of music justice.

26 minutes ago, Bodgit said:

Hi Turk,

Yes Beat it sounds good, all tracks sound really foot tappingly good.

Perhaps its to do with my selection of hifi components and musical tastes.  I was brought up with the sound of ESL57s and really liked the transient response and being a drummer I like a system which has a really good dynamic range and attack, but without sounding fatiguing. The Wadia at the front end and ATC speakers really do this kind of music justice.

hi

i've just noticed and googled the wadia 861 - slightly better than the mf xray i had !

6 minutes ago, Turk 182 said:

hi

i've just noticed and googled the wadia 861 - slightly better than the mf xray i had !

Yes its a lovely bit of kit, bought in 2005 and had the digital input/output board added so all my other digital sources can feed into it and no need for a preamp.

Still got some MF kit in the man cave...pair of X-A200s with an X-100P :cool:

Dave Grusin "Gershwin Connection,"

Robert Plant "Now and Zen"

James Taylor "Live", and "Hourglass" and "October Road"

The Beatles "Sergeant Pepper" Stereo Remix

Shaw Singers "Rachmaninov Vespers"

Dire Straights "On the Night"

Dave Matthews Band "Under the table and dreaming" and "Crash" and "Before these crowded streets"

Lifesigns "Cardington"

Jeff Beck "live at Ronnie Scotts" and "Emotion and Commotion

There are loads more but I use those to Audition new kit (or tracks off them)  

Everything I've played so far with a dark green DR rating:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr/desc

No matter how good the recording is and how much the music is to my taste, I get bored of listening to the same album over and over again. I'd rather listen to a new album (with a dark green DR rating) of music that's not quite my cup of tea than one of my favourite albums - again.

If I'm bored and know the album off by heart it's not going to sing to me as much as a fresh album would.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, lindsayt said:

No matter how good the recording is and how much the music is to my taste, I get bored of listening to the same album over and over again. I'd rather listen to a new album (with a dark green DR rating) of music that's not quite my cup of tea than one of my favourite albums - again.

If I'm bored and know the album off by heart it's not going to sing to me as much as a fresh album would.

I only listen to music that I like played by musicians whose performance I find engaging, regardless of the quality of the mastering or of the recording. I wouldn't trade an early monaural Billie Holiday recording for any audiophile-quality Krell, Pigeon or Barbie... :nup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lindsayt said:

I started reading your first sentence and my brain instantly filled in the the last part with “pen on the edges”!xD

On a more serious note I have albums with a lowish DR score but are very well recorded. In case my forum name hasn’t given it away, I mainly listen to metal and rock, generally music that doesn’t always require a high dynamic range. 

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Well one CD that sounds very good on all my systems is Cassandra Wilson - Belly of the Sun . I do like the very real and life like sound stage and that wonderful voice . Playing is also sympathetic. 

Would agree that I very rarely listen to an album over and over again even when new . In fact more often than not I use LMS  - Random Mix - Song Mix with all artists and genres ticked and let it play whatever comes up . 

• Like 1

Hard to answer; the 3D representation of Lou Reeds 'Walk on the wild side' is hard to match, but Applewood Road by Applewood road has an understated loveliness.

I guess it's 'Butterfly ball/Love is all' by Roger Clover as it was the first song I can remember.

Posted (edited)
On 03/06/2019 at 20:58, lindsayt said:

I agree with this, it is one reason why I find demos difficult and I rarely play my favourite albums. Often play music I'm not so keen on, then it does not matter if it gets overplayed. I never play an album these days more than a few times a year so it remains fresh. I'm always looking out for new music.

The Cassandra Wilson - Belly of the Sun does sound pretty even if it's not really my thing. 

Edited by BeeRay
typos
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, tuga said:

I only listen to music that I like played by musicians whose performance I find engaging, regardless of the quality of the mastering or of the recording. I wouldn't trade an early monaural Billie Holiday recording for any audiophile-quality Krell, Pigeon or Barbie... :nup:

How do you know if you have never heard it before?

I agree about many audiophile recordings, I find most of them boring.