plasticpenguin

Define a "Classic"?

Two more examples of classics, this time showing how something which is classed the same can be very different in its classicness :)

As my other examples, there's no question here, both classics for sure.

Linn-Akurate-LP12-Krystal-Rosenut-3Q-Pla

mk2_1.JPG

And even though I'm not that overly fussed personally, these

HD600_hires.jpg

13 hours ago, uzzy said:

You mean the Ariston RD 11 which was out before the Linn (the first Linns had the same two button on off arrangement and the same yellow labels on the top plate but with the Ariston RD11 cut off the top).  If you consider the design a classic then the accolade has to go to either the Thorens TD150 from which the design originated, or perhaps the original Acoustic Research Turntable which was the first to have a suspended subchassis and from whom I guess you could say Thorens and Subsequently Ariston borrowed the design.  

No, I actually meant the LP12.  It's design roots are well documented, but it is/was the LP12 that has become a classic. not the Ariston.

36 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Two more examples of classics, this time showing how something which is classed the same can be very different in its classicness :)

As my other examples, there's no question here, both classics for sure.

Linn-Akurate-LP12-Krystal-Rosenut-3Q-Pla

mk2_1.JPG

Concur. Both those are classics.

27 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

And even though I'm not that overly fussed personally, these

HD600_hires.jpg

Not sure any headphones could be classed as classics unless you choose something like Goldring from the 1980s.

If i think back to hi-fi in the 70's & 80's that's what i deem to be classic. i also like the old retro style amplifiers, i think they have that classic trait. some modern day hi-fi especially Blu-Ray players are just cheap plastic that will never gain that classic status. a real shame.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Colinjg said:

No, I actually meant the LP12.  It's design roots are well documented, but it is/was the LP12 that has become a classic. not the Ariston.

But Ariston (Hamish) designed it and it was a copy of the TD150 (enhanced) - the roots are well argued about and not so well documented, as the other party (Hamish) is no longer with us .. if you insist it is a design classic then here is the original.  As Hamish found out to his cost (as many manufacturers have since found out with Chinese Manufacturers) be careful who you get into bed with.  The Ariston was on Sale and on Show in 1972 .. anyway Linn might have got a design award but so did the STD (again another floating chassis rip off from the original Acoustic Research Design.  

Ariston  rd11.jpg

Edited by uzzy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 03/06/2019 at 12:51, Beckenham said:

The majority of your preferences listed above are made in early and late 80 and 90’s as I said. One of two exemples have been made in 70’s like Quad Amplifiers and speakers ESL 57.

Hi B,

I did not say there were NO classics from the 80's and 90's.

By definition the older a piece of equipment is that is still acknowledged as great the more it can claim to be a classic; with the issue that it will almost certainly need servicing and parts will potentially be more difficult to obtain.

Had I wished to concentrate on earlier time periods I could have mentioned names such as Leak, Rogers, McIntosh, Thorens, Garrard et al.

In the more modern era I could, contentiously, mention such devices as the Chord Dave which will almost certainly claim the mantle in due course.

Looking at the 80's and 90's in addition to the ones mentioned above I would add certain equipment from Marantz and Sony.

Dating what I listed above:

• Quad valve amps = 1950s;
  • Tannoy Dual Concentrics = 1940s;
  • NAD 3020 = 1970s;
  • Yamaha NS1000 = 1970s;
  • Tim de Paravicini Luxman = 1970s;
  • EAR Yoshino 509 = 1980s;
  • The aforementioned A21 = complicated, pick yer model;
  • Naim 32.5, Hicap. 250 = 1980s/1980s/1970s;
  • Krell KSA50 = 1980s;
  • Quad ESL57 & 63 = 1950s / 1980s;
  • JBL L100 = 1970s.

Best we go and have a few pints, and if we fail to find common ground we can arm wrestle!

Cheers,

M

• Like 1

The NAD 3020 had had a couple of honourable mentions but I think we ought to consider a few more lower cost products for classic  status .

How about the A&R Cambridge A60 amplifier ,   Rega II & III turntables,  AR18 speakers,  Creek 4040 amplifier, Royd A7 speakers ,

These were the products that got folks up and running in those boom days of the 70s and early 80s.

I could still listen to a Rega through a Creek  and pair of Royds all day long....  [or at least  until the  Creek blew up ]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

[or at least  until the  Creek blew up ]

Up s##t Creek without a paddle

This was a classic from the word go. Another forty-something which hasn't changed much apart from perhaps a couple of differing outer casings. But all remain sort after. Could add the word iconic to the mix as well.

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/blog/a-naim-icon-the-nap-250-our-most-popular-power-amp/

1989-NAP250-1024x576.jpg   

Super Wammer

I'd definitely place this in the classic category

Gyrodeck.png.11c585a88c8e2160350b4887650de70b.png

• Like 2

Here is an attempt at listing a few classic British speakers:

Landmark loudspeakers

Steve Harris from HiFi News looks back on some key developments, with PMC's Peter Thomas

http://www.audio4maniacs.co.uk/blog-article-landmark_loudspeakers.html

My list would be as follows:

Quad ESL-57 (1957)
Frequency response: 45-18.000Hz ±6(?)dB
Price: £52
Designer: Peter Walker

Spendor BC1 (1969)
Frequency response: 60-14.000Hz ±3dB
Price: £75
Designer: Spencer Hughes

B&W 801F (1979)
Frequency response: 45-20.000Hz ±2dB
Price: £1025
Designer: John Bowers

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

IMG_0092.JPG.9322a0e876bef3e594c5b50f65b48fca.JPGI would of hoped my Musical Fidelity A370 falls into the classics category 

Edited by MF 1000

7 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

I'd definitely place this in the classic category

Gyrodeck.png.11c585a88c8e2160350b4887650de70b.png

I'd fully endorse this lovely looking classic. A timeless beauty it is. More like jewellery:)