plasticpenguin

Define a "Classic"?

Posted (edited)

Define a "Classic":-

Something ageless/timeless. Something that was perhaps revolutionary, ahead of its time even. Something that is still an object of desire, and perhaps always will be. Something that when first discovered makes you think this has made a real difference, and in some way even currently has elements that were never really bettered. That could be what you might call a true classic.

Heres just a couple of crude examples :D But there are many other examples, some were not even British ;)

classic_and_sports_car_jaguar_e_type_whi

2011051810442763659.jpg

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tuga said:

I didn't realise we were allowed to post pics of cars

It's 2 channel really, but I was only illustrating a point. And I did post a pic of some speakers with it. 

• Haha 2

I think the LS 3/5A shown above is the epitome of a classic. Loved by many, loathed by some, highly sought after and still produced virtually unchanged after 40 years.

I think any opportunity to acquire an affordable pair has long passed, however I admire and understand anyone who chooses to build a system around this unassuming looking speaker.

Like many of the classic hi-fi (and cars) mentioned already, it is heavily compromised in the modern world. But when all the pieces are in place it is capable of suspending disbelief and creating magic, something very few components are able to achieve.

• Upvote 1

This is a classic

images.jpeg

This isn't

fdfbba499f6911e4663b9292d3ba14a6.jpg

Simple really :D

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rabski said:

This is a classic

images.jpeg

Oh dear.

It looks like a model from a 1950s 'B' movie.

Edited by plasticpenguin

15 minutes ago, rabski said:

This isn't

fdfbba499f6911e4663b9292d3ba14a6.jpg

Agreed.

Posted (edited)

But I would go as far as to say the Leema Pulse MKI is a future classic. It was game changer when it came out in 2008, the way it grips both HF and LF was pretty unique for its price bracket. The build quality is very good and the buttons are extremely tactile. Add in the switchable built in phono stage, and still don't of another amp with that feature that's affordable. 

That, IMO, ticks most of the boxes.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, rabski said:

This is a classic

images.jpeg

+1

6 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Cars have stereos..So they are technically hifi...anything about Subaru and land rover is definitely music to my ears ..So very definitely hifi :D

That is S.I.L.L.Y.

Based on that logic, why not add in quaint little English pubs. They all have music played, as do supermarkets, clubs, public conveniences....

• Haha 1

There are many factors that determine whether a product is a classic. To me, a classic is a current product which is sold by the company or manufacturer without any updates or changes to the particular model up to 15 years if not more.

Such an example is the Naim classic series of preamp (NAC 202, NAC 282, NAC 252 and NAC 552). A modern classic which is still attainable in the market today. It will eventually become a classic when it's discontinued IMO.

In hifi, something that is sonically relevant and reliable for far longer than usual.

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Oh dear.

It looks like a model from a 1950s 'B' movie.

I agree. Made in China too 😀