plasticpenguin

Define a "Classic"?

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer

We all have a diferent views what really means a classic...everything is possible to debate accordingly our views, our experience, our sensitivities, and audiophile music tastes  and our generations too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannot have this thread without a mention for the LP12.   47 years of continuous production.  Probably most still operating.

Even though it can be a bit of a sport to hate Linn.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Cannot have this thread without a mention for the LP12.   47 years of continuous production.  Probably most still operating.

Even though it can be a bit of a sport to hate Linn.

Yes, indeed. LP12 is a classic and iconic deck, like Michell Orbe, Rega Planar 2, P25, P5, P9, Nothingham Analogue (Dais- Tom Fletcher era), SME, Ariston, Linn, etc, etc.

Edited by Beckenham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beckenham said:

Just a exemple, in car industry for me a classic born in 60 as you said, Jaguar Mark II, late 60’s, Morris Minor, Rover 3500,     Aston Martin late 60 and 70’s, MG Spitfire etc, etc, that’s was a really classics 

Alfa Romeo Spider, late 60’s etc, etc.

That’s going to be one very oily driveway and you’d need all of them just to stand a chance of getting one to start!

Replace the Alfa Spyder, MG Spitfire etc. with an MX5 and the rest with a Lexus.

The ‘60s Aston would be totally outclassed by most (all?) decent, modern two litre saloons in speed, safety, handling, braking, comfort and ‘luxury’ features.

The Morris Minor is about as pleasurable sounding a driving prospect as spending a whole day washing clothes with a ‘copper’, a wooden plunger and a mangle. (Never described as a ‘classic’ experience surprisingly enough) I’ve heard the stories (my father owned one just before I was born but luckily we had an almost new Ford Corsair 2000E by the time I started remembering his cars). Sounds gruesome.

Don’t even look good most of them (except possibly the Alfa).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 minute ago, chebby said:

That’s going to be one very oily driveway and you’d need all of them just to stand a chance of getting one to start!

Replace the Alfa Spyder, MG Spitfire etc. with an MX5 and the rest with a Lexus.

The ‘60s Aston would be totally outclassed by most (all?) decent, modern two litre saloons in speed, safety, handling, braking, comfort and ‘luxury’ features.

The Morris Minor is about as pleasurable sounding a driving prospect as spending a whole day washing clothes with a ‘copper’, a wooden plunger and a mangle. (Never described as a ‘classic’ experience surprisingly enough) I’ve heard the stories (my father owned one just before I was born but luckily we had an almost new Ford Corsair 2000E by the time I started remembering his cars). Sounds gruesome.

Don’t even look good most of them (except possibly the Alfa).

I tottaly forgot, another classical British car, Morgan, Triumph of all times,  etc...The japanese Mazda MX-5 absolutely, still a ''modern'' classic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike the Mazda RX-7 which is right wankel of a car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Another iconic and strongest vehicle was ever made, but unfortunatelly no more production will be made, Defender by Land Rover, the best in all over the world that UK build but gone...well, never ending topic, but leT's go to the original topic, but for me that's enough :) 

Edited by Beckenham
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang on! This is about hi-fi not bleedin cars. They are very different: You could get classic car insurance for 1990s cars.

If you read my opening gambit I did say "is/will be" a classic. So I broaden the debate more by estimating what could become a classic component.

Just for the record: I've never thought any of my past gear as classics even though one or two might've been. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose it could be argued that anything from the 60's and 70's that sounded good then is a classic. The best sounding stuff from that period will sound as good, or better than a lot of modern stuff. Voicing and feature count have changed. Improved is up for debate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beckenham said:

Another iconic and strongest vehicle was ever made, but unfortunatelly no more production will be made, Defender by Land Rover, the best in all over the world that UK build but gone...well, never ending topic, but leT's go to the original topic, but for me that's enough :) 

Didn't know they stopped making the defenders. I'd have to sell my kidneys and my liver to get a discovery at its present price in india. But the defender was some thing I grew up watching wild YouTube videos of :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

Hang on! This is about hi-fi not bleedin cars. They are very different: You could get classic car insurance for 1990s cars.

If you read my opening gambit I did say "is/will be" a classic. So I broaden the debate more by estimating what could become a classic component.

Just for the record: I've never thought any of my past gear as classics even though one or two might've been. 

Cars have stereos..So they are technically hifi...anything about Subaru and land rover is definitely music to my ears ..So very definitely hifi :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming back to topic...a design or element of performance that can stay relevant over generations, and still nudge at the heart strings is a classic. I've only ever known one. It is called royal Enfield. They survived for 80 years, making just one bike. And still beat all the competition, with the same basic design and an utterly untrust worthy engine. So anyone who owns one, has to be one hairy chested male, who knows his tools and his mechanics. So that reputation has sealed it as the bike of  choice for all Alpha males, and made it a classic....err no...a legend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colinjg said:

Cannot have this thread without a mention for the LP12.   47 years of continuous production.  Probably most still operating.

Even though it can be a bit of a sport to hate Linn.

You mean the Ariston RD 11 which was out before the Linn (the first Linns had the same two button on off arrangement and the same yellow labels on the top plate but with the Ariston RD11 cut off the top).  If you consider the design a classic then the accolade has to go to either the Thorens TD150 from which the design originated, or perhaps the original Acoustic Research Turntable which was the first to have a suspended subchassis and from whom I guess you could say Thorens and Subsequently Ariston borrowed the design.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Bodgit said:

Unlike the Mazda RX-7 which is right wankel of a car.

The last version of the  RX-7 the turbo version was insane .....and the fastest car between petrol station too ...lol

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.