plasticpenguin

Define a "Classic"?

Heard so many times over lawds knows how many years that his amp or this speaker is/will be a classic.

If there is such a thing in hi-fi that's deemed as a classic, what traits does it need to have? sound quality, aesthetics, build, kudos... or all of them?

:dunno:

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:
Heard so many times over lawds knows how many years that his amp or this speaker is/will be a classic. If there is such a thing in hi-fi that's deemed as a classic, what traits does it need to have? sound quality, aesthetics, build, kudos... or all of them?

71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif

For me classic is majority all 80 and 90’’s amplifiers, speakers, CD players, tuner’s, turntables, and cassette deck players, DAT players, as well.

In 80’s and 90’s was the golden era of audio.

From the beginning of new millennium the classic audio ( 2 channel ) comes in to a deep recession in different areas, poor sound quality, poor electronic components, etc, etc, in other words the audio in current days works and is only very very good for our eyes only...

The Home Cinema kills the two channel audio, I’m talking the traditional way to listen good music in our homes our in our listening rooms of course.

The streaming files comes and kills at once  the 2 channel audio.

To be honest the streaming files quality in some aspects give us a very good sound quality, we know that, but I still prefer listening my music on old fashion way ( Record Deck + Amplifier + CD player + Speakers, with good IC’s and speaker cables, don’t needs necessary to be expensive ) and job done.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Beckenham
  • Like 1

A Sugden a21 is a classic.. stood the test of time from first build and still in production today be it a modern equivalent but principles of class A remain

• Upvote 4

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Got to write a classic, Got to write it in an attic

1 hour ago, Beckenham said:

For me classic is majority all 80 and 90’’s amplifiers, speakers, CD players, tuner’s, turntables, and cassette deck players, DAT players, as well.

In 80’s and 90’s was the golden era of audio.

I wouldn't agree with this, probably because having lived through it I am very aware of the crap and tat that was sold as HiFi.

I generally think of classics as bits of hifi that have maintained a great rep over an extended time period, for me that would include (off the top of my head):

1. Quad valve amps;
  2. Tannoy Dual Concentrics;
  3. NAD 3020;
  4. Yamaha NS1000;
  5. Tim de Paravicini Luxman;
  6. EAR Yoshino 509;
  7. The aforementioned A21;
  8. Naim 32.5, Hicap. 250;
  9. Krell KSA50;
  10. Quad ESL57 & 63;
  11. JBL L100;
  12. .........etc.

M

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Longevity. ie. Kit that has stood the test of time and thus is still sort after.

A cynic would say, a piece of kit that's still sort after is only sort after because it's only available s/hand, and therefore a fraction of its original price.

My interpretation of classic is a bit of kit (amps/speakers/turntables) that changed or influenced other hi-fi manufacturers, such as Quad Electrostatics: Sure Martin Logan are heavily influenced by the original Quads for example.

Based on your very feasible logic, my old Pioneer SA-706 should be classed as a classic, as it offered the aesthetics and sound that would only be found previously on high end kit. Basically, 70% of the sound with all the dancing VU meters but less than half the price of a high end amplifier. And they are still fetching really high prices on Ebay.

I'd say a classic is an elderly piece of equipment whose performance (accurate reproduction of the recording signal) is still relevant today.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Got to write a classic, Got to write it in an attic

(Groan) There's always one. :fek::D

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Based on your very feasible logic, my old Pioneer SA-706 should be classed as a classic, as it offered the aesthetics and sound that would only be found previously on high end kit. Basically, 70% of the sound with all the dancing VU meters but less than half the price of a high end amplifier. And they are still fetching really high prices on Ebay.

Generally speaking, it has to be highly enough thought of, that people into HiFi have heard of it. In order to be relevant today, it usually had to be the benchmark of its day.

Super Wammer
I wouldn't agree with this, probably because having lived through it I am very aware of the crap and tat that was sold as HiFi.

I generally think of classics as bits of hifi that have maintained a great rep over an extended time period, for me that would include (off the top of my head):

1. Quad valve amps;
  2. Tannoy Dual Concentrics;
  3. NAD 3020;
  4. Yamaha NS1000;
  5. Tim de Paravicini Luxman;
  6. EAR Yoshino 509;
  7. The aforementioned A21;
  8. Naim 32.5, Hicap. 250;
  9. Krell KSA50;
  10. Quad ESL57 & 63;
  11. JBL L100;
  12. .........etc.
M

The majority of your preferences listed above are made in early and late 80 and 90’s as I said. One of two exemples have been made in 70’s like Quad Amplifiers and speakers ESL 57.

Yamaha NS1000 speakers was a very good speakers, like Monitor Audio Studio 20, Studio 2, Acoustic Energy A1 ( 80’s model ) and the best speakers ever made B&W 802D, Infinity’s, Mission and many others of course.

Amplifiers we got from 80’s the majority Japanese’s, from USA we got Macintosh 275, Jeff Rowland, Conrad Johnson etc.

Audiolab 8000 series one if the best British Audio ever made, Naim, etc, so, we have a never ending arguments to talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

A classic is like me...born in the 60s, a legendary in their own way, has stood the test of time and is of high quality.

I'll get me coat.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
57 minutes ago, Bodgit said:

A classic is like me...born in the 60s, a legendary in their own way, has stood the test of time and is of high quality.

I'll get me coat.

I agree, but depends what you talking about. 

Just a exemple, in car industry for me a classic born in 60 as you said, Jaguar Mark II, late 60’s, Morris Minor, Rover 3500,     Aston Martin late 60 and 70’s, MG Spitfire etc, etc, that’s was a really classics 

Alfa Romeo Spider, late 60’s etc, etc.

In the audio is the same...

😎

The dictionary definition sums it up: Judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

Age is irrelevant. There has been rubbish produced in virtually every decade. And some decent stuff. IMHO there has never been a 'golden decade' for audio, though if pushed, I'd suggest actually the 1950s and 1960s.

• Upvote 2

Age is not irrelevant, it has to be old enough to have withstood the test of time so just has to be at least x years old. I don't see how a classic can be something that was designed yesterday.

x=10?