thecrimsonsquirrel

Arcam Alpha and Alpha+ CD players

Posted (edited)

Hi

Dose anyone know of a someone in the UK who specializes in repairing old Arcam Alpha and Alpha+ CD players? I love mine but may need a transport change or maybe a change in some of the caps.

Thanks

thecrimsonsquirrel

Edited by thecrimsonsquirrel

13 minutes ago, thecrimsonsquirrel said:

Hi

Dose anyone know of a someone in the UK who specializes in repairing old Arcam Alpha and Alpha+ CD players? I love mine but may need a transport change or maybe a change in some of the caps.

Thanks

thecrimsonsquirrel

I think Arcam themselves still offer this service 

19 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I think Arcam themselves still offer this service 

Hi

I think some years ago I contacted them and they said they didn't repair old models that were late 80s and early 90s models.

If your near Reading Berkshire, John Caswell is your man.. re builds most things

29 minutes ago, radiant red said:

If your near Reading Berkshire, John Caswell is your man.. re builds most things

Thanks. Do you have contact details for John Caswell? I can be reached at thecrimsonsquirrel at outlook.com

Many thanks

Pm’d 👍🏻

I have two other CD players, both standard Arcam Alphas. One is skipping, the other doesn't skip but has a problem with the DAC or the output. I was going to swap the good transport over to the faulty transport player. As both transports are identical, approx how long would it take me to take one out and replace it with the other, bearing in mind I have not done this before?

Thanks

thecrimsonsquirrel

On 02/06/2019 at 17:30, radiant red said:

Pm’d 👍🏻

Hi

John Caswell replaced the transport for me. Now have it back. Sounds sharp whether through the DAC or through Digital Out into the Rega DAC. Happy boy. Seems to have two attributes it didn't have prior to being fixed. One. The mid-bass is more present. Two. The harshness and glassiness in the treble and upper midrange is gone. How does a new laser and swing arm improve these areas? Surely that has more to do with the DAC doesn't it?

Thanks fro the recommendation.

thecrimsonsquirrel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thecrimsonsquirrel said:

Hi

John Caswell replaced the transport for me. Now have it back. Sounds sharp whether through the DAC or through Digital Out into the Rega DAC. Happy boy. Seems to have two attributes it didn't have prior to being fixed. One. The mid-bass is more present. Two. The harshness and glassiness in the treble and upper midrange is gone. How does a new laser and swing arm improve these areas? Surely that has more to do with the DAC doesn't it?

Thanks fro the recommendation.

thecrimsonsquirrel

That’s great news! A new lease of life and now back on song. Maybe over time, the player was degrading and less noticeable by yourself so bringing it back with new components has brought it back to where it should be.

Glad he could help. He has an awesome workshop 👍🏻

Great to know he is still around , will bear this in mind in future