lostwin

L / R Channel Error

Posted (edited)

Spent a very enjoyable and social evening listening to my system with a couple of local Wammers last night. At one point we compared CD replay with vinyl on the same album. A clear and obvious difference was that the left / right channels switched when moving between each source. 

After some checking this morning I have narrowed this down to the output from the phono cable. I have checked the cart tags and these are  all in the correct positions. 

I did have the arm re-wired by J7 a year or so ago plus a new lead out cable as this has a multi-pin connector into the base of the arm but couldn’t honestly say if that is when it started.

what is the best way to correct this? Do I change over the red and white cart tags or simply switch black and red phono plugs into phono stage? Do I need to consider flipping the green and blue cart tags as well?

As ever, helpful Wammer advice appreciated 🙂

Edited by lostwin
Typo

Just swap the phono plugs over - quick and easy.  But check more than one album, in case you just have a recording that has been incorrectly transferred.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

There are quite a few CDs that have left and right reversed, including IIRC some Bowie CDs. That may well be the issue. As MIB said, try out some other albums.

• Upvote 1

Yes, incorrect transfer was an immediate thought from my local Wammers last night but I have now tried on two different albums and compared to a streamed version too and the channel error is consistent.

I suspected that it would be a case of just changing over the phono plugs but a second opinion is always appreciated.

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Yes, incorrect transfer was an immediate thought from my local Wammers last night but I have now tried on two different albums and compared to a streamed version too and the channel error is consistent.

I suspected that it would be a case of just changing over the phono plugs but a second opinion is always appreciated.

Yup. If you're OCD about the connections into the amp, then you could do it at the cartridge, but you'd need to swap both + and - connections for each channel and frankly, it's usually best to avoid cartridge tag swapping where possible, as it's a perfect opportunity to break things.

• Upvote 2

This is the prime reason why you require two things - a test/cleaning cd (I have the Bib one which does the left right tests as well) and an LP test record that has left and right channel identification.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uzzy said:

This is the prime reason why you require two things - a test/cleaning cd (I have the Bib one which does the left right tests as well) and an LP test record that has left and right channel identification.  

Sound advice as ever Uzzy, although could be 20 years too late in my case :oops:  At least I will now rediscover my record collection as the musicians swap sides in the studio.  Mr Coltrane always seemed a bit grumpy about being shunted over on the left!

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, uzzy said:

No need play any orchestral music pieces the violins are on the left . If you do not believe me have look at the next classical concert you attend .

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, mashman said:

I have a HIFi News text LP you can borrow with channel identification. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

That would be good. Thanks Ian