Sign in to follow this  
FrankD

BBC Mastertapes

Hello there

Recently have started to listen to the BBC Mastertapes . Not even sure how I came across them, but am really enjoy them. 

John Wilson returns with another edition of Mastertapes, the programme in which he talks to leading performers and songwriters about the album that made them or changed them. Recorded in front of a live audience at the BBC's iconic Maida Vale Studios, with John initially quizzing the artist about the album in question, and then the audience puts the questions.

I normally listen to these on my tablet while cooking and so far have heard the ones about Billy Bragg, The Jam, Aswad, and Suzanne Vega. Have enjoyed them all so far, so yesterday decided to go back to the beginng and listen to the first one ( I think), where Laura Marling talks to John Wilson about her 2013 album 'Once I Was An Eagle'

This time John talks to Laura Marling about her 2013 album 'Once I was An Eagle.'
Laura Marling was only 18 when she released her first album... only 21 one when she won the Brit Award for the Best British Female solo Artist... and only 23 when she released the album described as "a masterpiece, and... she's still only getting started" (The Daily Telegraph).
Produced by Ethan Johns, Once I Was An Eagle included tracks like Master Hunter, Where Can I Go? and Saved These Words, deemed to be "her most lyrically mature work... also the most musically satisfying" (The Independent). On the strength of this album she's been referred to as one of the "greatest singer-songwriters of both her generation and generations before it" (Clash Magazine).

I enjoyed this one although I don't know the album, no  audience question in this one which I like in the latter ones. One downside you do not get to hear all the song that they play live, maybe something to do with copyright. 

Decided to buy the album on the back of this.
Anyone heard these and any views?
Cheers Frank

Yes I've often listened to episodes of this. The lack of full tracks is a real pain and I've no doubt it's down to copywrite but it seems the BBC are blighted by these issues. Would be interesting to understand just how this works, I'm assuming it's part of the contractual arrangement with the artist and record company at the time of recording. Given that the Beeb release albums of bands doing live cover versions and performances (Dermot O'Leary et all)  it seems bizarre.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2019 at 18:25, Sumdumgi said:

Yes I've often listened to episodes of this. The lack of full tracks is a real pain and I've no doubt it's down to copywrite but it seems the BBC are blighted by these issues. Would be interesting to understand just how this works, I'm assuming it's part of the contractual arrangement with the artist and record company at the time of recording. Given that the Beeb release albums of bands doing live cover versions and performances (Dermot O'Leary et all)  it seems bizarre.

Just found this  and now it don't make sense why they don't include the songs in the program.:/

2 hours ago, FrankD said:

Just found this  and now it don't make sense why they don't include the songs in the program.:/

Perhaps the difference is that those are live BBC performances and the recorded radio shows include standard record releases. It still doesn’t make any sense though :nup:

Super Wammer

I heard the Randy Newman one and thought it was terrific.