Sign in to follow this  
Tambrose

New NAS => better sound?

I'm realizing that my QNAP NAS is 11 years old and there are no longer new firmware releases for it.

Would getting a new model improve the sound from my DS?  Would the performance/responsiveness of Kazoo on my iPad change?

Thanks!

not unless the old

7 minutes ago, Tambrose said:

I'm realizing that my QNAP NAS is 11 years old and there are no longer new firmware releases for it.

Would getting a new model improve the sound from my DS?  Would the performance/responsiveness of Kazoo on my iPad change?

Thanks!

Not unless the old one has serious issues.

Posted (edited)

I changed my ReadyNAS Duo to a QNAP 212p a few years back and the speed of my album art loading in Kazoo greatly improved. Didn’t notice (or expected) any change in sound quality.

Bill.

Edited by Billz

There are ways of improving the sound quality of your current NAS:

Place the NAS and your switch, each, on a set of IKEA Gunstig silicon pads, (under the feet of the NAS)

This can help tame the vibrations of the spinning hard drives, and should be an audible improvement in sound quality

Consider getting better Ethernet cables, that are well shielded, and make sure all the Ethernet cables are placed well away from any mains cables.

Make sure your NAS is well ventilated and on a sturdy shelf.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Paulsurround - I will try the Ikea Gunstig pads.  I had also read your post about Cat8 cables.  I plan on ordering some when I get my Akurate System Hub and Exaktbox.

When I used a NUC with Audiolinux I found that everything made a difference. With this setup OCD levels of attention were needed, but the results were very good. In that setup I very definitely heard a difference between using my Synology NAS & another NUC with Audiolinux, the files being hosted on external 512GB USB sticks.

With the Klimax I hear a minor difference between the NAS and the NUC as file sources, also I find I probably have a small preference for the flac'd files over WAV.

I found the same effect when using a dCS Network Bridge.

On 01/06/2019 at 18:33, Tambrose said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Paulsurround - I will try the Ikea Gunstig pads.  I had also read your post about Cat8 cables.  I plan on ordering some when I get my Akurate System Hub and Exaktbox.

Are the Gunstig pads the magnetic ones that attach to the bottom of pots/pans?

2 hours ago, Tambrose said:

Are the Gunstig pads the magnetic ones that attach to the bottom of pots/pans?

Yes they are.

When I cut the Gunstigs into 4 X 4 or 5 X 5 squares, I remove the magnets, if I encounter one.

The number of magnets varies with each pad, and can be 2-5 magnets embedded.

The sound will  probably not change. The performance/responsiveness on the other hand most likely will improve. Why? In the last 11 years major progress has been booked on the hard disk speed, and the architecture of especially QNAP nas devices has been improved greatly. This does matter especially when dealing with large music collections. It is not like your current device cannot cope with it anymore, but if you like to experience for example instant reply on searches a newer device will be better equipped to do so.

The switch can also improve sound

going with Melco definitely led to improvement in sound

Sign in to follow this