egg1dog

Keswick Audio Research (KAR) Volante Loudspeakers

Posted (edited)

For sale my gorgeous Keswick Audio Research (KAR) Volante floorstanding loudspeakers on offer for £350. I bought these some 20 years ago from Classic Sounds in Kettering for around £1000. They were handmade in Keswick, Cumbria and I believe the owner and designer Dean Hartley then went on to be Chief technical Designer for Monitor Audio. Many hi-end speakers have come and gone over the years but these have remained and spent most of their life safely stored in my spare room upstairs. I have now decided to move them on.

Hand made in solid mahogany hardwood they are in excellent condition with a few marks which you would expect for speakers originating from the 90's.One speaker does have a scratch on the top but I have managed to pencil it in and is not noticeable from a few feet away. The mahogany finish is truly stunning in appearance. At the time these speakers replaced my Mission 753's and offered much more detail and transparency. Comes complete with grilles which are immaculate and upgraded QED bi-wire links but I cannot locate the spikes (these could easily be bought on ebay). They are currently filled with sand to increase the stability and density of sound and hence weigh in at approx 25 Kg each!

I have had some very expensive speakers over the years and inbetween buying and selling these I have always reinstalled the Volante's and they do not disappoint especially when matched to my REL Stadium subwoofer to augment the bass response.

A great sound for peanuts.

Collection only from Northants.

image2-36.jpg

image2-37.jpg

image1-92.jpg

image2-34.jpg

image1-86.jpg

image2-35.jpg

image1-91.jpeg

Edited by egg1dog
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

Absolutely lovely sounding speakers. Not bass monsters but matched to Class A/valve amp I doubt if you will find a better speaker at the price. As he says add a sub if you must. I must resist. I have too much kit already.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I am surprised that these have not gone yet. Grab yourself some real delight on the  cheap.

Super Wammer

As a Cumbrian/Kendalian... I was surprised to see Keswick mentioned in an audio context: who would have thought!

Great looking speakers and if they sound as good as you and Yoda say then a bargain. GLWTS.

bump.....I wonder how much these would cost new today ? Hand made in uk with exquisite real wood finish!

Super Wammer

If I didn't already have too many speakers I'd bite your arm off just for the hell of it...

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, mr neds said:

Really interesting, but too far away! Good luck

From where? (Your profile isn't complete). I'm in Leicestershire and head to Cumbria every few weeks via various routes. I can't help with auditioning (!) but if you knew you wanted them and were en route ish I'm sure I could sort something out with Paul.

Super Wammer
18 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Look again! I’m in SE London

I could have sworn...

Ok, forget that then!