Warszawa

Speaker terminal question

I just tried it.

Seeing as I would obviously have a negative expectation bias in this instance, I asked Anne to listen. Obviously hardly a fully and rigorously scientific test, but not terrible. I swapped over the cables to using single wires and jumpers and connected both to the bass terminals. I then got Anne to come and listen at a reasonable level to two different tracks. I turned off the sub so any possible effect would be clearer. I then sometimes swapped the connections as described above and sometimes didn't, each time asking whether she could hear any difference.

The only question I got was 'am I supposed to hear anything different, because I can't?'

Now, Anne is not a 'professional listener' in this sense, but she is exceptionally good at hearing small things, and has to be because of what she does for a living. Plus, I can assure you she can hear the noise of an wrapped LP coming through the door even if she's at the end of the garden.

So. That's my 'proof' and I reckon it's better than anything so far suggested here as 'fact'.

Of course, my system is doubtless not good enough to hear such small differences, but those who have heard it might not agree with that suggestion. I'll be interested to see what Nick comes up with, but I'd be very, very surprised indeed if the LCR readings for a metre of cable are any different to the same readings for the same piece of cable plus a jumper bar.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

Find it all perplexing why companies want to over-complicate things. I've tried bi-wire in the past but wasn't impressed, tri-wiring speakers, no idea how that works in the real world.

Keep it simple: Black on black and red on red (this isn't a weird euphemism).

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Matter of opinion.

I tried to help genuinely then was ripped.

Im left feeling like a one legged man at an arse kicking contest.

If im asked an open question then I try to help.

If don't agree with someone else I keep my gob shut.

Suck it and see the other moderator saying he's going to try is hardly likely to come back changing his mind or he will look like this.

:bouncey:

What a Kindergarden and yes that got a K too.

A sub in a 2 channel topic I give up.

Edited by Mr Kandid
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr Kandid said:

Matter of opinion.

Im left feeling like a one legged man at an arse kicking contest.

If im asked an open question then I try to help.

If don't agree with someone else I keep my gob shut.

Suck it and see the other moderator saying he's going to try is hardly likely to come back changing his mind or he will look like this.

:bouncey:

What a Kindergarden and yes that got a K too.

If you actually bothered to look, you'd find that I, and many others here, have been proved wrong on many occasions. If I thik something won't work and then find it does, I'm happy to admit it.

• Upvote 2

Well that went well. Even the free cable upgrades cause an argument! :D

Seriously though, good to know it’s a thing at least. Im using jumper cables but if I ever demo some new cables :nerves:I’ll give it a go. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

That's cool the moderators are always right and everyone else is stupid and open season for ridicule.

No wonder forums fold you dont need participants you need whipping boys.

Everyone has their own opinion there's no need to batter someone for having one.

So much for fair play.

I'm sure it breaks forum rules to flame people for having an opinion and trying to help.

Shocking display of bullying.

1 Nobody said the mods are always right and nobody said in this thread that anyone is stupid.

2 This forum allows and encourages debate. It seems to be going rather well. The forums that have folded?

3 Nobody has been battered on this thread.

4 Fair play doesn't involve not having opinions challenged. Quite the opposite.

5 Nobody has flamed on this thread. Nobody has been given or received any personal abuse.

6 Nobody has been bullied.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@rabski

Just to be clear, did you remove jumper cables and use the factory links?

2 minutes ago, rabski said:

6 Nobody has been bullied.

'Scuse me... I've been bullied...somebody suggested that because I'm a mod I'm not allowed to express my opinion. That is grossly mod-ist and unfair. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

Well that went well. Even the free cable upgrades cause an argument! :D

Seriously though, good to know it’s a thing at least. Im using jumper cables but if I ever demo some new cables :nerves:I’ll give it a go. 

Why not?

Jesus. Anyone can try anything. I might be 'anti' a fair bit of foo, but anyone who knows me, my system and the stuff I throw together knows what I can be like. The workbench here is currently piled high with stupid capacitors, valves, different valve bases, silver wire, etc. I'm in the middle of swapping the pot in the breadboarded pre from an Alps to an old Noble, because a designer I know well swears blind there is a sonic difference. I'll try it. I've also just ordered a few more Shinko tantalum resistors for the same reason.

All of that doesn't mean I'm going to take anything as gospel because someone says it makes a difference. I stopped making that mistake decades ago.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

@rabski

Just to be clear, did you remove jumper cables and use the factory links?

No. I put back the jumper cables.

Normally I bi-wire. Not because I think it makes any difference (it doesn't to my ears), but because the cables I normally use are four conductor, and the setup will in future allow me to actively bi-amp.

I swapped the setup to a set of 'standard' cables, with jumpers made from the same cable. That should, for the purposes here, be even more accurate. The 'standard' cables are incidentally old Audio Note stuff, so should be capable of exposing any difference. Or not..

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

I really don't think you were you know. Rather people disagreed with what you quoted someone else as having said.

• Upvote 3

I have been using the diamond wiring since this thread started, for me it has robbed the lower frequencies, the bass has less punch and sounds thinner, plugging the cables back into the bottom terminals has given me back a fuller punchier sound, it was worth a try but in my case it's not worth it.

Posted (edited)

Bear in mind that audio signals are AC. Surely any 'logic' for this idea potentially having an advantage falls apart as soon as you consider the reverse polarity part of the waveform?

Edit: actually, no, thinking about this it doesn't :).

Edited by MartinC
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Find it all perplexing why companies want to over-complicate things. I've tried bi-wire in the past but wasn't impressed, tri-wiring speakers, no idea how that works in the real world.

Keep it simple: Black on black and red on red (this isn't a weird euphemism).

+1

• Upvote 1