Warszawa

Speaker terminal question

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

+1

Yes indeed the diamond if that's what it's now called worked well for me and cost nothing so no biggy there I was at a factory occasion when this was announced and then implemented by dealers for " tune dem " don't shoot the messenger I only tried to help out.
As for the compromise I had with all the connections on my speakers at the time rather than get sucked into all that multi wiring and multi amping malarkey " been there and done that " 
I moved on the speakers in question when I adopted a less is more outlook and did away with all the multi connections and box full of electronics in the way as I'd seen a picture of the internals and thought there must be something getting lost in this jumble of clutter.
So I set myself up with a simpler signal path and now only have one pair of connectors Kudos to me.B|

Edited by Mr Kandid

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

It's like plugging a kettle into a different socket and claiming it makes the tea tastes better.

Well, no, that is a flawed analogy. It is more akin to plugging the kettle into a different socket on the same ring main and claiming the kettle boils faster. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, rabski said:

All of that doesn't mean I'm going to take anything as gospel because someone says it makes a difference. I stopped making that mistake decades ago.

This is I think where most Wammers have been for quite some time before lots joined from various closing forums elsewhere. So many have joined of late and suddenly many things that have been discussed in the past are discussed again, but with a seeming expectation that we should agree and thank those making wild claims.

Maybe we're a bit cynical, but when something doesn't correlate to science, then we need to be questioning, albeit with an open mind. People who make bold or outlandish claims need to expect scrutiny.

Many who propose there are night and day differences seem to be expecting responses to be "oh yeah, I just tried it and it works, aren't you clever, thanks" building into a snowball of others doing the same and building a group-think where people cannot say "oh, it didn't work for me" or "I think what is being proposed cannot possibly work except for some expectation bias". The castigation of people who simply question or challenge correlates well with a certain president's propaganda machine and tweets full of lies. I am thankful the Wam isn't like other forums. SBAF comes to mind where if you don't hail Torq in believing his opinion on DACs then you are likely on a shortlist to being banned.  Even Audio Science Review will not tolerate some people questioning some things.

The Wam is a happy medium, so having objectivists and subjectivists in open discussions is better than a forum built for just one or the other. 

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, ACS said:

Don't knock it until you've tried it. It works for me.

Don't take this personally but there's a lot of slogans like the above flown around as if they are universal truths. They are not. Perhaps these are some things people shouldn't knock until they've tried them?...

• Testing electric chairs to declare a favourite
  • Skydiving without a parachute
  • Going for a spa in a Yellowstone Park geyser
  • Learning to walk on hot coals then trying it inside an active volcano
  • Gargling mercury

Now when people say they don't want to do these things, it's because of a trust in science. They know they shouldn't mess with these things. Why when the outcome is not fatal do many think science is no longer valid or that somehow their tinkering overturns proper science implemented by an audio brand?

Personally I just think many audiophiles love a modicum of distortion and their 'better' sound is objectively worse, but to their taste. Heck, even I like 2nd harmonic distortion in many cases.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, Tony_J said:

'Scuse me... I've been bullied...somebody suggested that because I'm a mod I'm not allowed to express my opinion. That is grossly mod-ist and unfair. 

Bloody Snowflake :D

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Bloody Snowflake :D

Right. You'll be the first when the revolution comes... :fek:

Edited by Tony_J
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Right. You'll be the first when the revolution comes... :fek:

Is that Scottish Independence Tony ? 

:sofa:

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Is that Scottish Independence Tony ? 

:sofa:

Guess that's better than Swiss Tony

swiss-toni.jpg

Edited by Metatron
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Metatron said:

Don't take this personally but there's a lot of slogans like the above flown around as if they are universal truths. They are not. Perhaps these are some things people shouldn't knock until they've tried them?...

• Testing electric chairs to declare a favourite
  • Skydiving without a parachute
  • Going for a spa in a Yellowstone Park geyser
  • Learning to walk on hot coals then trying it inside an active volcano
  • Gargling mercury

You've left incest and folk dancing off the list.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, rabski said:

You've left incest and folk dancing off the list.

Incest is fine as long as you keep it in the family... :dunno:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tony_J said:

Incest is fine as long as you keep it in the family... :dunno:

Also known as rolling your own.

I am a tech guy, with a not unreasonable amount of experience in electronics. I've also made the perfectly reaosnable suggestion as to trying a very simple and easy method to see whather you can still hear a difference. I don't understand your dissappointment about that.

I am a tech guy, too, with both a few qualifications in electronics and a few years of loudspeaker design experience under my belt.

And I nominate that response from Linn as the second load of crap linked to in this thread.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

giphy.gif

You're the third one to criticize Linn in one thread.:nerves:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

I am a tech guy, too, with both a few qualifications in electronics and a few years of loudspeaker design experience under my belt.

I spared your blushes by not mentioning that, or other relevant qualifications for actually having a clue as to what you are on about.

• Upvote 2