Warszawa

Speaker terminal question

Whilst perusing a Youtube video of PMC demonstrating the new Fact Signature speakers at Munich, I noticed they have an unusual way of single-wiring their speakers. Anyone care to guess the logic?

Bonus points for naming the cables :minikev:

facts.png

A Hi-Fi+ review of my speakers (tri wireable KEF Reference 201) was adamant that wiring them this way gave you a better sound quality  !

Can’t say that I could hear a difference so I too would be interested in the logic. ( No bonus points for me as I haven’t a scooby as to the cable)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

It's called diamond wiring, here's a link to someone who can explain it better than me.

https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/are-you-diamond-wiring-your-speakers.html

• Like 1

I’ve read some crap in my time but that’s a new entry near the top...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

I’ve read some crap in my time but that’s a new entry near the top...

Yup. The words "utter" and "bollocks" spring to mind, possibly in that order 

• Haha 3

Many moons ago I asked the very same thing to the guy that designed my speakers at the time Linn Majik 109 

the reply is below along with a picture of my speaker terminals at the time.

The information made sense and cost nothing to do.:whistle:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

'Always have the same impedance'? On the basis that the speakers are passive (which they must be in this case), the difference in the impedance is the impedance of an inch or so of solid copper. Moreover, the total difference would be the difference between the impedance of a few metres of speaker cable, and the impedance of the same few metres of speaker cable plus an inch or so of solid copper.

Unless I've missed something, I see absolutely no way that could make even a minutely measurable difference.

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

What does the designer know.?

How many times in this hi fi world have things been measured but sound different.?

Cartridges even same drive units.

It worked for me so unless you try then don't refuse to buy.

It costs nothing.

Edited by Mr Kandid

2 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

What does the designer know.?

How many times in this hi fi world have things been measured but sound different.?

Cartridges even same drive units.

It worked for me so unless you try then don't refuse to buy.

It costs nothing.

Cartridges and drive units, even of the same type and model, can sound different. I have absolutely no doubt that many things can and do sound different and that many things can and do make a difference.

Based on the fact that (daft marketing apart) Linn are quite engineering based, I can only imagine the designer was having a chuckle in this instance.

If you really think you can hear a difference, then I'm sorry to bring up the obvious, but get someone else to change it when you're listening (with a 'might change it or might not' thrown in) and then tell me you can hear the difference.

Basic common sense, let alone every bit of physics and electronics, simply suggests there is no possible mechanism though which this could make the slightest difference. Again, the 'difference' is an extremely short, thick piece of copper.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, rabski said:

Cartridges and drive units, even of the same type and model, can sound different. I have absolutely no doubt that many things can and do sound different and that many things can and do make a difference.

Based on the fact that (daft marketing apart) Linn are quite engineering based, I can only imagine the designer was having a chuckle in this instance.

If you really think you can hear a difference, then I'm sorry to bring up the obvious, but get someone else to change it when you're listening (with a 'might change it or might not' thrown in) and then tell me you can hear the difference.

Basic common sense, let alone every bit of physics and electronics, simply suggests there is no possible mechanism though which this could make the slightest difference. Again, the 'difference' is an extremely short, thick piece of copper.

Cue a round of "science doesn't know everything..." :doh:

• Haha 1

I'd have thought changing the connections would have changed the way the current runs round the circuit.

Thats only a laymans guess suck it and see.

Or better still ask the tech guy for a full explanation as once at the factory with a large audience this is the advise that was given to dealers for " tune dem " as well.

I was there and thought it would be good to clarify as it was different to the product manual.

they found this out later and couldn't change the instruction manuals and considering it's a audible difference and not a safety one it has remained that way.

not my point to argue other than I almost others have heard it.

It was suggested I try this forum as information lost in the old one was annoying now when I try to help in a pleasant and friendly way I'm flamed by a moderator.

Dissapointed.

Super Wammer

The more interesting thing for me is that despite making tri-wire capability, PMC don’t choose to use it. 

I’ve heard of this approach before, and the Linn explanation is as plausible as anything I’d read.  Until I read rabski’s alternative take on it, that is!

Perhaps I should try it myself one day, though it won’t look so neat as the current set-up!

63288CDE-42FD-435C-8346-7FF761BF704C.thumb.jpeg.56d0bbd7151a4590150b029d268107bf.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Yup. The words "utter" and "bollocks" spring to mind, possibly in that order 

Don't knock it until you've tried it. It works for me.

• Like 2