Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

How local is this dealer to you? If we're talking new speakers from a dealer I'd personally flat out refuse to spend £3k on speakers if I couldn't get a home demo. For me that is one of the things you're paying a dealer premium for, and it's not like you don't have plenty of other options. Have you heard Kef LS50 wireless speakers for instance? They're a thousand pounds cheaper but I think a decent option to consider (I have heard these, and others here rate them), and if you spent a chunk of that thousand pounds on a sub they could be more so.

hi martinc

five ways is about 10 miles approx.

i agree and when i'm nearer to getting an audition / purchase i will state i want a home trial as like you say £3000 is a lot of money with lots of other choices.

i had not (fully) considered the kef ls50 actives but i have started a thread on here regarding the new b&w formation duo speakers - no response though !

i have also been in contact with some record producers / artists who have given me some ideas - may start a new thread regarding that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I bought my AVI system about 2.5 years ago just before they changed their business model to dealer only. Prices wet up around 25% (DM10s 1.5K to 2K), 

As I said some people love them some don't. Linsayt is right they are small 2 ported speakers but the sound they produce to my ears is pretty dam good. But I also agree they needed the subwoofer to unleash their full potential. The DM12s have a bigger cabinet so I'm told they have better bass than the DM10s, I'm sure it won't be as good as my sub though.

I know that my system does sound better than my passive system but I'm sure there are passive systems that could out perform them.. How much that passive system would cost I don't know. I'm sure Linsayt could give you numerous examples though for your price range.

I'm no expert on HiFi I'm not a sound engineer and I don't have any electronics experience I just rely on my ears. Also I don't believe that cable make a "significant" difference to sound quality. One thing I have learned is you can never get a definitive answer with anything to do with HiFi, it is all personal preference. 

The KEF LS50s are a good cheaper alternative, mind you again some people love them, some don't. My son has the KEF system he prefers them, he may be right, his ears are younger than mine!

Ultimately the only way to find out is to go and try them yourself.

Edited by AntA
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Turk 182 said:

i had not (fully) considered the kef ls50 actives but i have started a thread on here regarding the new b&w formation duo speakers - no response though !

i have also been in contact with some record producers / artists who have given me some ideas - may start a new thread regarding that. 

The B&W speakers look really nice, I would certainly consider them. Much better looking than AVIs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lindsayt said:

Turk 182, what do you think you would be buying? A pair of speakers that sound better than all passive speakers ever made?

Or a pair of speakers that sound OK for tiny ported 2 ways?

hi lindsayt

the avi dm12's contain a dac, pre amp, mono blocks, tone controls plus a remote control - everything in a box just add a source component.

they caught my attention as i want to reduce the amount of boxes and cables.

having said that i have also considered a "traditional" cd, amp, speaker and cables set up with the yamaha cd-2100 / a-s2100 duo catching my eye.

i just presumed with my budget that the active speaker option would be the best sound per pound buy - an audition of course will be the judge of this !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Turk 182 what is your current system out of interest? If you updated your Wam profile so that this appeared by your posts it might give some useful context to your questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

@Turk 182 what is your current system out of interest? If you updated your Wam profile so that this appeared by your posts it might give some useful context to your questions.

hi

i currently dont have a system hence the questions !

my old system which i sold some 3 years ago was a musical fidelity x ray cd player, the matching xa1 amplifier and b&w 601 s2 speakers.

prior to that i had a technics midi system that i often regret selling !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem to come highly recommended. Apart from a lack of deep bass, which I've heard about many times, they also have limited inputs, so traditional analoguers will need to add extra boxes to accommodate such things as CD players, tuners, turntables...

The only AVI product I have heard in the flesh, so to speak, was the old Laboratory Series amplifier -- that sounded pretty good to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 hour ago, MartinC said:

How far back are you going there out of interest? I bought my AVI Pro Nines from a dealer in around 2002, but perhaps there has been a direct sales period between then and now?

Only a couple of years ago I guess.  I think they had a local dealer and another in maybe Birmingham, but most sakes were direct.  

I think there was some restructuring of the business that led to the changes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Only a couple of years ago I guess.  I think they had a local dealer and another in maybe Birmingham, but most sakes were direct.  

I think there was some restructuring of the business that led to the changes.  

That was when Ashley James owned the business (IIRC)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

hi almaatakz

i understand this questions depends on the room they are used in but do you find the treble smooth and not harsh / brittle with these speakers ?

also do you get the 3d "you are there" effect half tricking the listener that the singer etc is in the room ?

No harshness in my experience. They are very clear and have good imaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

They seem to come highly recommended. Apart from a lack of deep bass, which I've heard about many times, they also have limited inputs, so traditional analoguers will need to add extra boxes to accommodate such things as CD players, tuners, turntables...

The only AVI product I have heard in the flesh, so to speak, was the old Laboratory Series amplifier -- that sounded pretty good to me.

I have a turntable via preamp, Bluray player, CD player and DAC with chromecast plugged into my system. And I thought I could get rid of extra boxes too! Seriously though you could just use a Chromecast and an iPhone and it sounds really good,

Edited by AntA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AntA said:

I have a turntable via preamp, Bluray player, CD player and DAC with chromecast plugged into my system. And I thought I could get rid of extra boxes too! Seriously though you could just use a Chromecast and an iPhone and it sounds really good,

That was the common perception years ago. The AVIs were meant to be a one-stop solution from non-active owners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Nopiano said:

The time to buy AVIs was before they decided to move to a traditional dealer selling model. The direct sales were about one-third cheaper iirc.  But they always had a keen following, and are another Gloucestershire based speaker company, along with Acoustic Energy (who also make a sweet active for a grand), and ATC, who make serious actives starting at about £4,500.  

I own the Acoustic Energy AE1a and my experience is wholly positive. They replaced a passive pair of ATC driven by a Nord amp (also gave great results).

If you don’t need a built in DAC, then worth giving the AE1a a listen. Amazing value for money.

edit - definitely no treble harshness (I, too, am averse to such presentation)

Edited by Pedro2
more information
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

No harshness in my experience. They are very clear and have good imaging.

hi and thanks for the reply.

i listen to mostly electronic music and any system with remotely harsh treble gives me ear ache very quickly !

(xanopticons album liminal space could be torture on the wrong system !)

i also like the effect when the sounds appear to leap out away from the speakers - i will audition these when funds allow.

Edited by Turk 182

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dealer
3 hours ago, Pedro2 said:

then worth giving the AE1a a listen. Amazing value for money.

AE1A's do offer excellent VFM and form a beautiful sub/sat system with dual JL Audio's Dominion d108's or dual JL Audio E110's :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.