The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

hi

has anybody heard or auditioned these speakers ?

what did you think ?

https://hddaudio.org/mb/index.php

Try this link and there is quite a lot of info on lthis forum

On 30/05/2019 at 13:19, AntA said:

https://hddaudio.org/mb/index.php

Try this link and there is quite a lot of info on lthis forum

once again thanks for the link.

i have read all info on that link as regards to the avi dm12's.

all very positive but it is on avi's forum after all !

has anybody got any views on avi kit in general such as the avi dm5's or dm10'"s ?

The 10s and 5s I can recommend.

Did not hear the 12s but they should be similar to the 10s.

Posted (edited)

I have the AVI DM10s and Subwoofer and I think its a really brilliant system. I have a Marantz PM8005, SA8005, and Tannoy Precision 6.2 as well and I much prefer the AVI system. If you ask on the AVI forum often owners will let you listen to their system. I was lucky enough to get an audition close to where I live before I bought mine.

Edited by AntA

32 minutes ago, AntA said:

I have the AVI DM10s and Subwoofer and I think its a really brilliant system. I have a Marantz PM8005, SA8005, and Tannoy Precision 6.2 as well and I much prefer the AVI system. If you ask on the AVI forum often owners will let you listen to their system. I was lucky enough to get an audition close to where I live before I bought mine.

hi anta

once funds gathered i intend to audition the dm12's at five ways hi fidelity as it is not to far from where i live.

i'm guessing comparing these speakers at 3k a pair would beat an amplifier and speaker combo at the same price.

as stated though an audition is a must !

1 hour ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

The 10s and 5s I can recommend.

Did not hear the 12s but they should be similar to the 10s.

hi almaatakz

i understand this questions depends on the room they are used in but do you find the treble smooth and not harsh / brittle with these speakers ?

also do you get the 3d "you are there" effect half tricking the listener that the singer etc is in the room ?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

hi anta

once funds gathered i intend to audition the dm12's at five ways hi fidelity as it is not to far from where i live.

i'm guessing comparing these speakers at 3k a pair would beat an amplifier and speaker combo at the same price.

as stated though an audition is a must !

In my case I would say definitely my DM10s + Sub are better than my other system. However  in my opinion it needed the sub to outperform the Tannoy Precision 6.2s.  The DM12 are a larger cabinet which gives them better bass than the 10s and they have an improved satori tweeter than the 10s. I've not heard the DM12s but I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

But yes, you really need to hear for yourself, some people love AVI speakers others don't.

Edited by AntA

58 minutes ago, Turk 182 said:

i understand this questions depends on the room

With this in mind, make sure you get a home demo before deciding to buy.

(I have a pair of AVI Pro Nine speakers in a box, which are good over their frequency range but lack bass extension. I've not heard any of their active models though.)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MartinC said:

With this in mind, make sure you get a home demo before deciding to buy.

(I have a pair of AVI Pro Nine speakers in a box, which are good over their frequency range but lack bass extension. I've not heard any of their active models though.)

hi martinc

thats the problem unfortunately - five ways wont allow a home demo hence i am apprehensive as regards to how they would sound in my room.

at £3000 (plus something to play my cds on as i would use the dac inside the speakers so maybe just a cd transport) they may or may be not bettered by the same cost of a cd / amp / speakers i could test at home and reject if not happy.

Edited by Turk 182

8 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

hi martinc

thats the problem unfortunately - five ways wont allow a home demo hence i am apprehensive as regards to how they would sound in my room.

at £3000 (plus something to play my cds on as i would use the dac inside the speakers so maybe just a cd transport) they may or may be not bettered by the same cost of a cd / amp / speakers i could test at home and reject if not happy.

How local is this dealer to you? If we're talking new speakers from a dealer I'd personally flat out refuse to spend £3k on speakers if I couldn't get a home demo. For me that is one of the things you're paying a dealer premium for, and it's not like you don't have plenty of other options. Have you heard Kef LS50 wireless speakers for instance? They're a thousand pounds cheaper but I think a decent option to consider (I have heard these, and others here rate them), and if you spent a chunk of that thousand pounds on a sub they could be more so.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

The time to buy AVIs was before they decided to move to a traditional dealer selling model. The direct sales were about one-third cheaper iirc.  But they always had a keen following, and are another Gloucestershire based speaker company, along with Acoustic Energy (who also make a sweet active for a grand), and ATC, who make serious actives starting at about £4,500.  

10 hours ago, Nopiano said:

The time to buy AVIs was before they decided to move to a traditional dealer selling model. The direct sales were about one-third cheaper iirc.

How far back are you going there out of interest? I bought my AVI Pro Nines from a dealer in around 2002, but perhaps there has been a direct sales period between then and now?