Bignose5

Doing A Reset On Your Linn Radikal Improves SQ

Posted (edited)

1 Power Off
2 Power On
3 Press function select button on back of Radikal, see picture below, several times until both LEDs on start/speed switch light up
4 Power Off
5 Power On

b21e4aae834a7f4c970935a0ba01eb1c788e1d82

f37af4ef9d468d6f6476b4c1fb0f7532aab8d84c

Peter @ Cymbiosis  recommends trying it on the Radikal to reset/erase memory chip.

The idea Peter had was that people could try it and report back findings as he has more than a hunch that it makes a difference but it needs more experimentation to be sure this is the case and depends on how long ago The radicals brain was cleaned out so to speak.

Edited by Bignose5
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting

I will try this evening at home

M.

From Peter,

As I say I am playing a hunch but the problem is once you’ve done it you have to wait three months possibly more before being able to try it again so it’s kind of a gut feel instinctive reaction to what I found. I’ve been trying it for over a year now and I’m fairly sure but there again they can always be expectation bias and this is the problem so it’s essential to manage people‘s expectations are not happy for doing it every evening!
The best analogy I can give you is certain if you had a computer running non-stop for a couple of months it slows down it needs a reboot to clean itself up. So basically what you’re doing is a manual cleanup on the radical chip. 

What I really wanted people to do was to play the same piece of music before and then again after they have done the reset in this way we will get usable information that can then be disseminated around social media to others if it works. As I say I have a gut feeling it does but we need to be systematic and methodical in testing out the theory that’s all.

Thats the only way we going to get usable information that will be of benefit to others rather than just a reset free for all!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Awkward one to judge this isn't it  ...hence the need to canvas lots of other folks  findings .

If you're not sure what you've heard , the test is repeatable ...but maybe not for a few months !

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can't image there being a downside to this for example clearing cashe online makes the browser faster and clearing long lists of recently used apps helps the processor work easier and smoother.

so clearing the memory of a chip under constant correction and monitoring must do something to take the strain.

I'll get my head round this and give it a go in a calm and relaxing environment and take it from there.

good call and really pleasing to think this dealer has done the work and at no cost to anyone else.

Kudos to him " no pun intended " B|

I hope he won't mind me saying but Cymbiosis Peter won't be able to reply in person for a while as he is in attendance at the funeral of Derek Jenkins today.

Edited by Mr Kandid

Peter has been trying it for over a year now and is fairly sure but then again there can always be expectation bias.
The best example is if you had a computer running non-stop for a couple of months it slows down it needs a reboot to clean itself up. 
So basically what you’re doing is a manual cleanup of all the correction data on the Radikal chip. 
What to do is to play the same piece of music before and then again after the reset " Tune Dem " in this way we will get usable information that can then be disseminated if found positive and unbiased.
It costs nothing to try but takes a long time between resets to analyse any change in performance so the more people that try then the more information hopefully will come back. 
I don't understand any skeptical thoughts on this as it's free information about a possibly not thought about operating advantage.

:sofa:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Actually, I wasn’t being sceptical and sorry if that comes across. I’m not questioning what Peter may be hearing and I have great respect for him. I’m merely questioning whether there is an engineering basis for this procedure doing something, ie someone at Linn saying yes, this procedure does this and it may have a bearing on what you hear because...

I’m well aware of the need to reboot operating systems and it may be a perfect analogy. However, it would be nice if we didn’t launch into the mentality of “of course, this will make a huge difference because it’s just like rebooting a computer and that always improves things” without confirmation that the process actually does something concrete. Peter has already, reportedly, raised the “expectation bias” flag.

I’d actually love it to be true for the Lingo 4, too.

’troll

Just tried 

after the reset, the Radikal took a minute or so to dim the red light (before the reset just few second)

the song is Phil Collin’s “Find a Way to my Heart” from ... But Seriously (1989)

After the reset it sounds more musical (the bass, in particular, seems more focused)

M.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I’m well aware of the need to reboot operating systems and it may be a perfect analogy. However, it would be nice if we didn’t launch into the mentality of “of course, this will make a huge difference because it’s just like rebooting a computer and that always improves things” without confirmation that the process actually does something concrete. Peter has already, reportedly, raised the “expectation bias” flag.

Which is precisely why he'd like us to test the proposition. Surely that is a reasonable suggestion in all the circumstances? My only hesitation is that my Radikal is still relatively new, so this is a test I should probably run a few months down the line.

3 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I’d actually love it to be true for the Lingo 4, too.

IIRC, the Lingo 4 does not have any form of reset button; I suspect that it recalibrates at every switch on, and only maintains its calibration while powered up. At least, that is how I read its Linndocs page.

David

• Like 1

IIRC, the Lingo 4 does not have any form of reset button; I suspect that it recalibrates at every switch on, and only maintains its calibration while powered up. At least, that is how I read its Linndocs page.

David

Yes David, the Lingo 4 has no re-set ability as it re-calibrates on start up.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

KR

Peter

• Upvote 1

Peter,

I have just reset my Radikal.

Listened to Steely Dan's Home At Last from aja did the reset (it took seconds to do)

Then played Home At Last and the next track I've Got The News again.

Yes there is a very nice difference after the reset .:^

Its a definitely worth doing free upgrade.:^

Thanks.:^

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rad A (With my case mods)
Powering Both
7yrs old
Current Belt

Powered 24/7, last off was 10 days ago during a powercut. I decided to use a brand new LP, Lisa Hannigan "Live in Dublin" to remove any preconceptions about how things 'should' sound. Played side one to warm things up, then had a proper listen before resetting the Radikal

Before Reset.

9.6 seconds to speed. There was some initial harshness before the DV warmed up, then it was sounding as good as I expected.

After Reset

9.6 seconds to speed Applause was FAR more realistic, smoother and clearer sound. Easier to follow, better diction, sounds like I have turned the volume up a notch (which I haven't) Its just 'better' (Mrs O concurs with my findings BTW)

Conclusion

Its a no brainer for me. Equivalent (or better?) than the annual "break clean and make all plug/socket connections" I wonder if the Radikal is getting lazy as time goes by and needs a poke with a pointy stick to remind it how to work properly? It sounds like the musicians have woken up anyway. Strange that the startup time was the same though.

Thanks for the free upgrade Peter