Sign in to follow this  
newlash09

Michell gyro SE vs VPI prime vs avid volvere

Posted (edited)

Hi you all good folks...

So the above are the 3 options I have at the moment. 

Michell gyro SE + SME 4 arm - no cart - 3100 USD

Avid volvere + tone arm + benz micro3 - 2600 USD

Vpi prime brand new + 10" Jmw tone arm- no cart - 3300 USD. 

So which would you choose. Iam tilting towards the avid at the moment, as it seems to be the cheapest . Thanks to kindly share your thoughts :)

Maybe I should add that the purchase will be in USA.

Edited by newlash09
Extra content regarding purchase in usa

Super Wammer

I thouht you'd already decided on the Gyro?

• Upvote 1

Update 1 - the seller of the gyrodec is offering me a audio quest MM cart free, as per his email received just now. And he did mention that it is a short term solution to get me going and there are better gains waiting to be had with a better cart upgrade:)

Just now, TheFlash said:

Hi flash...Thanks for checking :)

And thanks to a friend who was working really hard one day, and partying hard enough to miss his flights the next , the payment never got through. And I couldn't do much as Iam stuck in the middle of the Atlantic right now. So I missed the gyro we are referring to. But that said, the gentleman selling the gyro, did give me a really long rope to make the transaction.. and absolutely not his fault for going with a local sale , as I couldn't provide any sureity of the funds coming through,  within any defined timelines, thanks again to my friend dancing away all night in the USA :D

6 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

But your query does give me the required clarity I was looking for. I always wanted a gyro. And I did choose it over the more expensive avid volvere. But the new vpi prime that Iam getting offered now. Is what is getting me confused at the moment. I've never heard any of the three, so don't know which is actually better. 

Super Wammer

Hi Mike, is it only the VPI that is brand new?  The reason I ask is that if you are shipping this back home, by any means, I’d be much more confident that a new product would arrive in one piece.  And the VPI is great product that I heard once.  

Were they all used, I’d suspect the SME would enjoy the best long-term support, and is likely known best at least to this forum’s members.  As that comes on your favourite turntable too, it would assume first place.  

None of these is ideal for a newcomer to LP replay, in terms of setup and adjustment.  That would suggest something more modest, like a Rega or a Pro-ject.  

2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Hi Mike, is it only the VPI that is brand new?  The reason I ask is that if you are shipping this back home, by any means, I’d be much more confident that a new product would arrive in one piece.  And the VPI is great product that I heard once.  

Were they all used, I’d suspect the SME would enjoy the best long-term support, and is likely known best at least to this forum’s members.  As that comes on your favourite turntable too, it would assume first place.  

None of these is ideal for a newcomer to LP replay, in terms of setup and adjustment.  That would suggest something more modest, like a Rega or a Pro-ject.  

Hi Nopiano...Thanks a lot for your reply. The vpi is the only new one, and unused in the list. But to be honest...let me state my thoughts here. Both the gyro and avid are completely dismantlable in my limited opinion. So I could carry them in my check in luggage. Whereas the vpi is completely built and with a massive plinth. So not easy to conceal from customs back home, who are really notorious. I will have to pay the 42% tax that the govt requires  , and and a substantial amount to grease enough palms too. So though reviews state that the vpi is a great sounding machine. Not sure...if it is worth that extra and substantial outlay:)

• Like 1

2nd update.. as per the seller..the vpi got sold just now. So now it's a easy decision.. must be the gyro I always loved then :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Y, how 'bout this one? you said you like da bling, you could Chrome plate this bad boy and be the most ghetto Indian on the block!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-Signature-Analog-one-ll-TURNTABLE-Kuzma-Stogi-Lyra-Argo-Top-/372664348363?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Just now, Iceman 16 said:

Dat's some bling init bruv

3 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

Dat's some bling init bruv

Massive platter always turns me on:)

• Upvote 1

Thanks chronicals and Iceman...the acoustic solid and transrotors have always been in my sights. Probably best bought locally from Germany, as I visit there in my trips to Europe. And enough bling too to keep my ghetto tastes pleased :D

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer
14 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Thanks chronicals and Iceman...the acoustic solid and transrotors have always been in my sights. Probably best bought locally from Germany, as I visit there in my trips to Europe. And enough bling too to keep my ghetto tastes pleased :D

Acoustic Solid and Acoustic Signature are two different companies, both making turntables. The link was for an Acoustic Signature TT.

If you intend to pack the TT away under your daughter's bed with everything else when you're at sea, then I suggest that a suspended TT like the Gyro isn't the best option, as the suspension will have to be reset every time you bring it back out to use for optimum performance, whereas a non-suspended TT can simply be placed back where it was.

On the other hand, if you've always hankered after a Gyro, that's an itch you may need to scratch, whatever the alternatives.

• Like 2