Sign in to follow this  
Aristillus

Rondo quierie.

Posted (edited)

I was given a box of odds and ends a few years ago by an old friend. He told me that somewhere among the debris there was an Ortofon cartridge without a tip. He advised  me that it may be ok as part of their trade in scheme. I decided to have a rummage this evening and found the blighter. It is an Ortofon Rondo Bronze. It still has a cantilever though as my old friend advised no tip. I am not in the position to trade it in for an expensive Ortofon MC though i am left wondering if it would be worth sending to the ESC and having one of their Paratracer styli fitted. What's the view here?

Edited by Aristillus

Super Wammer

Don't think you'd have to trade up to a silly money cart, you could probably stay at the same level, say trade in against a Quintet which is the current equivalent and would not be much dearer than a retip with the trade in discount. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a Quintet black and Didn't like it.

Posted (edited)

You've probably found this already but:

https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/Ortofon-MC-Trade-In-Program

So £167 but with some caveats. If re-tipping is too expensive you might be able to sell it to someone looking to buy one of their more expensive carts.

FWIW I had a Rondo Blue and it was a lovely cart.

Edited by Warszawa

3 hours ago, Warszawa said:

You've probably found this already but:

https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/Ortofon-MC-Trade-In-Program

So £167 but with some caveats. If re-tipping is too expensive you might be able to sell it to someone looking to buy one of their more expensive carts.

FWIW I had a Rondo Blue and it was a lovely cart.

I had  a Rondo Blue also,  it was really good. Would have had another, but  out of production.

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

I had  a Rondo Blue also,  it was really good. Would have had another, but  out of production.

I also had a Rondo Blue, same cart used by my friend. It was very good.

I have a Rondo Red which I really need to mount and have a listen to.

Just to put a small spanner in the works, I had a Rondo Bronze and didn't like it. It didn't really do anything wrong, but it just seemed to have an uncanny ability to suck the life out of music. Could never really put my finger on what was wrong, and maybe it was just me. I ran it on my old LP12/Ittok LVIII and on the Well Tempered, and with a variety of phono stages and SUTs. It never gelled for me.

3 minutes ago, rabski said:

Just to put a small spanner in the works, I had a Rondo Bronze and didn't like it. It didn't really do anything wrong, but it just seemed to have an uncanny ability to suck the life out of music. Could never really put my finger on what was wrong, and maybe it was just me. I ran it on my old LP12/Ittok LVIII and on the Well Tempered, and with a variety of phono stages and SUTs. It never gelled for me.

The Blue had more bottom end than the Bronze.. 

Heh. It's all about the ears ;-)

I've never liked the black range, find it far too detailed and analytical (for my tastes), but have always warmed to the sound of the bronze, especially in 2M and Quintet guises.

• Like 1