mr neds

Can I use an audio lead for digital signals?

Also, any improvement to a dacmagic 100 with a different power supply- sorry, I meant to say cheap. Maplins  are gone, so are there others?

Super Wammer

Mr Neds you're a naughty man :D

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes you can.  The spec is a little different, but if your lead is a metre or less it shouldn't matter.

Posted (edited)

2.  Dacmagic will still be shit regardless of power supply.

Edited by meninblack
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer

"Can I use an audio lead for digital signals?"

Many audio leads are really 75 ohm digital leads anyway so you might already be using a digital lead for audio  . . .

Posted (edited)

Answer is no.

Only this cable will work.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/digital-interconnects/siltech-royal-signature-golden-eagle-75-double-crown-digital-cable-75-ohm.html

Let us know how you get on with it.

ana.png

Edited by The Chronicals
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

"Can I use an audio lead for digital signals?"

Many audio leads are really 75 ohm digital leads anyway so you might already be using a digital lead for audio  . . .

Ah, but the resistance is critical, especially in that it is essential to use 75 ohm connectors. The problem is that the 1s and 0s obviously react differently, as 1's are or course affected to a greater extent. It's simple maths really. You can end up with all sorts of problems, which will not only adversely effect the audio output, but also feed back into the mains, influencing the spin speed of your washing machine.

Alternatively, at any normal length and with ordinary circuitry at either end, it won't make the slightest difference.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Digital Cables normally consist of a central conductor and a screen with an overall impedance of 75 Ohms.

Most RCA interconnects use 2 Conductors for Signal and Ground, plus a screen.

I doubt you will hear any difference, but I normally use RG59 Spec for Digital and Analogue. Just don't buy a cable with a copper plated Conductor as I am not sure what the base metal is and solid copper Cables are cheap as chips anyway.

Ah mr Meninblack, I would have worried about my choice of dac had I not perused your lengthy list of expensive esoterica. Here in the shallows, we live with less. It makes my Chromecast sound better than it did, in which case, it’s job is done. It certainly doesn’t sound “shit”

• Like 1

LOL, it's all relative.  I have three systems. Compared with #1, #2 and #3 are both pretty shit - but I still enjoy them.

42 minutes ago, rabski said:

Ah, but the resistance is critical, especially in that it is essential to use 75 ohm connectors. The problem is that the 1s and 0s obviously react differently, as 1's are or course affected to a greater extent. It's simple maths really. You can end up with all sorts of problems, which will not only adversely effect the audio output, but also feed back into the mains, influencing the spin speed of your washing machine.

Alternatively, at any normal length and with ordinary circuitry at either end, it won't make the slightest difference.

It's worse than that, it also dramatically reduces the efficiency of the wash cycle and goes a long way towards explaining why my under-stains  are getting so difficult to remove.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

It's worse than that, it also dramatically reduces the efficiency of the wash cycle and goes a long way towards explaining why my under-stains  are getting so difficult to remove.

You need a better mains lead for it. That'll bring back the inky blacks, remove the veils and restore the clarity.

On the downside, it can increase the width and depth, so your undercrackers will keep falling down.

• Haha 1