mountain biker

My £5 Upgrade

I use the AO oil in my Rock too, Must get some more as I'm doing up an LP12.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Whenever this topic crops up, I always picture somebody with a large bottle of something like Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge, syringing it into little bottles and sticking on a label. 

Are turntables really so sensitive?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Are turntables really so sensitive?

Wouldn't have thought so , the ones I've had have a the sub platter shaft going into a hole , clearance fit with a tolerance of about 2 thousands of an inch , a ball bearing at the bottom , not much room for any quantity of oil , I use gearbox oil btw .

• Like 1

Comma EP80/90 is £4.99 a litre at your nearest Wilco's

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Wouldn't have thought so , the ones I've had have a the sub platter shaft going into a hole , clearance fit with a tolerance of about 2 thousands of an inch , a ball bearing at the bottom , not much room for any quantity of oil , I use gearbox oil btw .

The topic is the same as cables.. subjective!

you will always want to listen for a difference.. oil tolerance is in itself, something that can affect mechanicals of a gearbox or engine etc but less so on a TT however, it has been known and I too have heard sonic differences on certain decks namely Rega

i am tho, more inclined to stick with the black oil on LP12s 

If it sounds different, is it better or just different is my conclusion 

15 hours ago, mountain biker said:

I was going to put this in the LP12 thread but it seems it applies to many turntables.

What I am referring to is Audio Origami turntable bearing oil it costs £5 + £2 P&P. I contacted J7 at AO who assured me it is safe to use in a Linn and many others.

When it arrived with 2 suckers and long cotton buds to clean out the housing, I installed it, I keep check of my oil level and know it was not low. I didn't expect much if anything in improvement especially in an LP12 at top spec. how wrong can you be, the first thing I notice was a smoother sound and increased high treble detail, the midrange is also better hence the extra smoothness I guess. Surface noise is even less and clips and pops (scratches) lower in level, the image also seems wider and on some records outside the speakers, something that has always alluded me in my system. The bass doesn't seem any different but I maybe (hope) I'm wrong, will try some of my bass strong records soon eg INXS Kick.

I know this seems a bit much but its all true, changes and improvements are easy to hear on my system. Also the switch light does not go dim/ bright as much  I assume because the bearing is slicker and is finding and holding speed easier.

It's worth a try and for £5 if you are not convinced you can always go back to your TT makers oil.

http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/

ROFL

Clean oil will make any machine run better than it did on the same stuff but dirty.  Not that record players create the same sort of filth found in an engine, of course, but oils do degrade with use.

I've not tried different oils. I'm told that Nottingham Analogue spent days trying out different blends until they settled on what they felt was best. 

I wonder about siphoning motor oil into small vials and selling it for the price of a gallon !  I'm sure it goes on. I'm also sure that some have gone the extra mile and mixed their own brews, bit of hydraulic oil (red), bit of gear oil, bit of engine oil, maybe thin it down with something lighter like sewing machine or wd40. Who knows ??

40 minutes ago, occasional thinker said:

Comma EP80/90 is £4.99 a litre at your nearest Wilco's

Blimey Dave that is the exact oil I got :)

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, radiant red said:

The topic is the same as cables.. subjective!

Yes of course , I got told off for not listening to cables , listening to oil I hadn't considered , I'll go back to guessing album covers :minikev:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1