mountain biker

My £5 Upgrade

I was going to put this in the LP12 thread but it seems it applies to many turntables.

What I am referring to is Audio Origami turntable bearing oil it costs £5 + £2 P&P. I contacted J7 at AO who assured me it is safe to use in a Linn and many others.

When it arrived with 2 suckers and long cotton buds to clean out the housing, I installed it, I keep check of my oil level and know it was not low. I didn't expect much if anything in improvement especially in an LP12 at top spec. how wrong can you be, the first thing I notice was a smoother sound and increased high treble detail, the midrange is also better hence the extra smoothness I guess. Surface noise is even less and clips and pops (scratches) lower in level, the image also seems wider and on some records outside the speakers, something that has always alluded me in my system. The bass doesn't seem any different but I maybe (hope) I'm wrong, will try some of my bass strong records soon eg INXS Kick.

I know this seems a bit much but its all true, changes and improvements are easy to hear on my system. Also the switch light does not go dim/ bright as much  I assume because the bearing is slicker and is finding and holding speed easier.

It's worth a try and for £5 if you are not convinced you can always go back to your TT makers oil.

http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/

• Like 1

Very interesting. It is amazing how such simple things can make such a difference, but they can. I might give it a go. I've made a couple moves and a couple of upgrades lately that have required the platter being removed; I've kept the oil in but of course each removal of the platter takes a small amount of oil form the bearing, so I'd planned on a refill. This could be a very timely experiment. :) 

• Like 1

Have the  AO oil in my Gyro- more interested where the OP got it for a fiver.:D

Paid £14 for mine.>:(:)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

I got just the oil and nothing else except the suckers an buds. I contacted J7 direct via his web site and sent the money via paypal it came first class next day.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Like yourself l thought l got small improvements in sound quality using the AO Booster oil- however that is something l would not say in public  or on an audio forum.:mrgreen:

Edited by Tarzan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Super Wammer

J will always tell you that he has his own secret refinery off the coast in Scotland lol. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Oy! you can't come on here advertising stuff without paying dealer subs , you're post and the quote will self destruct in 5 mins :nuts:

I've met J, and he definitely is not a post   :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, rabski said:

I've met J, and he definitely is not a post   :D

Whoops :D , although nobody knows what we're on about now ;)

Edited by Bazzer

1 minute ago, Bazzer said:

Whoops :D , although nobody knows what we're on about now ;)

Yes they do. I quoted you  :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, radiant red said:

J will always tell you that he has his own secret refinery off the coast in Scotland lol. 

He told you that too?:off::mrgreen:

Edited by Tarzan
  • Like 2

Super Wammer
Just now, Tarzan said:

He told you too?:off::mrgreen:

Lol oh yes... visited J after I got bored at Linn 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rabski said:

Yes they do. I quoted you  :rofl:

Double whoops , I thought I'd hid that , bloody apostrophes :fek:  

1 hour ago, Tarzan said:

You must have got the full kit with alignment protractor, strobe etc. I just wanted the oil best contact the man direct as I did with your requirements

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mountain biker said:

You must have got the full kit with alignment protractor, strobe etc. I just wanted the oil best contact the man direct as I did with your requirements

Yes got the full kit, just pulling the OP's leg.:P

• Haha 1

Even cheaper upgrade: Don't play the hi-fi for a few days. Sounds better than ever once switched back on.

• Like 1