Turk 182

msb technologies dream system...

Super Dealer
40 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Why do they need to be as expensive? Don't assume more expensive = better. This goes for the £75k DAC too.

This, a vast majority of the ‘high-end’ is more about pride of ownership, male jewellery than outright sound quality.

Keith

• Upvote 3

On 28/05/2019 at 22:36, meninblack said:

Didn't sound great. :nup:

here is another video featuring the more affordable m2 speaker - 80k !

not sure what to make of the sound - obviously limited with watching / listening on youtube !

(would be interesting, to me at least, to hear the mf nu vista 800 cd / amp through these as these speakers are said to play exactly what is fed to them).

25 minutes ago, Turk 182 said:

not sure what to make of the sound - obviously limited with watching / listening on youtube !

You can never tell anything useful about the sound of a system via a YouTube video, but not primarily due to the limitations of YouTube. Most important is whatever system you play it back on, but the fact most are recorded with a mobile phone microphone is another limitation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

You can never tell anything useful about the sound of a system via a YouTube video, but not primarily due to the limitations of YouTube. Most important is whatever system you play it back on, but the fact most are recorded with a mobile phone microphone is another limitation.

I feel one can tell a lot about the sound of a system via a Youtube video, and the majority have been recorded with very good microphones, the same microphones that may be used as part of the whole measuring sound toolbox.

True, some are recorded with phones, and you just ignore those videos, and yes we do have to take in to account what you are playing it back on, however the essense of the system is there, hence why all systems sound different on youtube videos - if they all sounded the same, I'd agree that they arent useful videos!

I don't think you get a real true representation without hearing it in person though, but you get a bloody good flavour from a well recorded video, so much so I found Pathos kit from  videos, and the very essence of their sound was portrayed, and now in my living room, its all there too and even better.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

I feel one can tell a lot about the sound of a system via a Youtube video, 

I'm sorry but you really can't, for the reasons I have above. YouTube videos are good for showing what things look like and demonstrating functionality but are totally useless for telling you how anything sounds. This really can't be debated as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This really can't be debated as far as I'm concerned.

Allllrrriiiggghhhttt Mussolini! lol

Oh well, your loss.

I'm thankful for my gain.

Edited by The Chronicals

Anette Askvik album Liberty sounds like a typical hi fi demo, wide dynamic range, deep, deep bass, breathy close miked female vocals.  Would sound impressive on any system I’d guess.  But trying to listen to her as an artist - no, not for me thanks.  🙁.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, arturo said:

Anette Askvik album Liberty sounds like a typical hi fi demo, wide dynamic range, deep, deep bass, breathy close miked female vocals.  Would sound impressive on any system I’d guess.  But trying to listen to her as an artist - no, not for me thanks.  🙁.

good point - it always seems to be music that does not seem to difficult to reproduce...

i await a demo of "davidian" by machine head or "lfo" by lfo...

Edited by Turk 182

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

I'm sorry but you really can't, for the reasons I have above. YouTube videos are good for showing what things look like and demonstrating functionality but are totally useless for telling you how anything sounds. This really can't be debated as far as I'm concerned.

and here is another video featuring the magico m2's..

sounds pretty good on my laptop but i agree with your point not as good / the same as having them in your own actual listening room - i wish !

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

Allllrrriiiggghhhttt Mussolini! lol

Well that's the first time I've ever been called that :D.

Imagine a system that if you heard it for real would be the best system you'd ever heard, and to keep this simple let's take the huge leap of assuming a perfect recording that accurately captured this. If you play this back on your own system what you'll hear will have all of the relative limitations of your current system (including room related ones). Now consider another system that has flaws that counterbalance those of the system used to play it back (e.g. simplistically a recording of a bright system played back on one with an overly rolled off treble) - the result would sound better than the 'perfect' system. When you get to the extreme of many people listening to YouTube videos via laptop or mobile phone speakers the problem gets far worse.

I care about this as I don't want to start seeing threads from people saying they bought something because it sounded good on YouTube but were then disappointed with the result.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, arturo said:

and here is another video showing some slightly cheaper magico speakers playing some music that a bit to modern for my tastes !

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Well that's the first time I've ever been called that :D.

Imagine a system that if you heard it for real would be the best system you'd ever heard, and to keep this simple let's take the huge leap of assuming a perfect recording that accurately captured this. If you play this back on your own system what you'll hear will have all of the relative limitations of your current system (including room related ones). Now consider another system that has flaws that counterbalance those of the system used to play it back (e.g. simplistically a recording of a bright system played back on one with an overly rolled off treble) - the result would sound better than the 'perfect' system. When you get to the extreme of many people listening to YouTube videos via laptop or mobile phone speakers the problem gets far worse.

I care about this as I don't want to start seeing threads from people saying they bought something because it sounded good on YouTube but were then disappointed with the result.

...or you hear something on line, you like the flavour of it, then you focus your intentions on getting one to try out. Because you can't try out everything on the market, so you need to find focus somewhere, reviews, videos etc. Sure you can go to these 'bake off' ordeals, but christ, I'd rather burn my eyes that do that, so the internet videos work very great, -  well produced ones give a good amount of information to find something that might work for you.

Course, if you are loaded and can buy and sell stuff to your hearts content, it does exclude the need to rely on third party information, but many arent. The Pathos videos I saw where more accurate for what I was looking for than any suggestions from dealers/forums etc, hence I do feel they can be useful.

I can sort of see Chronicals' point here. Certainly, with a good recording, a good soundcard and good headphones, I can get a 'flavour' of a setup from a video, but that's absolutely at best. The recording could either mask things or emphasise things and it also depends on so many other factors that it's nigh on impossible.

Specific things I look for in a system (the soundstage for a start) are simply impossible to capture.

A flavour yes, but I'd say just a hint. Nothing more.

And if you'd rather burn your eyes out than meet people with similar tastes and shared interests, I'm sure they'll all be grateful.

• Upvote 1

For me the chance of the YouTube route biasing even someone's auditioning shortlist in totally the wrong direction makes it worse than useless.

Out of curiosity I did just try recording a video of my own system using my phone and playing it back, both on my laptop and on my main system. I can't say it's really changed my view.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chronicals said:

Sure you can go to these 'bake off' ordeals, but christ, I'd rather burn my eyes that do that,

Not quite sure why you think meeting up with other people with a shared interest in audio equipment should be so horrendous (or why you're posting here if you do) but you are still left with the options of going to shops and shows to hear stuff.

• Upvote 2