Turk 182

msb technologies dream system...

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

Not really, I was saying it wasn't 1960 anymore where video recording technology was primitive at best.

I think your second post is focusing far too much on trying to get a very clear portrayal of all aspects of the setup, which just isn't possible at all through video - I've been fairly open about that. I can see your observations though, and your hypothesis is valid, but the concept of using video playback is not to define an entire hifi where you could take it from the video and put it in your living room and it will sound the same, it is used as a research tool, the same as magazine reviews etc to form a basis of impression.

Video playback is not the most important issue. Playing back via a different system is. It is a flawed 'research tool' as it could give the wrong 'information'. This is different to it being 'about right' or 'good enough' to be useful. To use your flavour analogy, you could decide from a video that something is strawberry flavour when in reality it is chocolate.

I'm not expecting you to agree with this but I'm trying to make it clear that your arguments do not somehow counter what I have said.

There are very real recording quality issues too, and the video example I posted above provides a prime example, but I'm focusing on the system playback issue since this, for me, is what means the YouTube route can't be relied on to be useful at all. And crucially should never be used to make decisions on what to buy or even audition.

You have a problem hearing differences in cables from previous threads , so therefore being able to differentiate the elements of a video recording where can hear  certain sound signatures of the equipment whilst removing those elements from the recording and playback elements could also be difficult for you in my opinion, hence why we are at this gate right now, and while I am happy just to leave it as 'each to their own' you keep wanting to revisit the past posts on a sunny sunday morning, I personally, have gotten a little bored of it now :) 

This has absolutely no relevance to the logical argument above but FWIW I have 'heard' differences between cables of all types and spent significant amounts of money on such in the past. I now recognise the very real challenges of identifying differences via sighted listening tests and, based on available evidence, do not believe that what I 'heard' was real. I did also go through a 'right, lets swap all these expensive cables, including mains leads, out of my system and see how different it sounds' test, and was disappointed to find myself hard-pushed to swear there was one. You will find that there are quite a few of the more experienced members here who have followed a similar path. 

I therefore now focus my time and money on areas likely to bring the largest improvements, notably speakers and room acoustics.

Edited by MartinC

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, lindsayt said:

The challenge for me is getting a system that sounds at least as good as this one for less than 1% of the price of this or any other extremely expensive system.

It's a challenge that so far - in my admittedly very small statistical sample size - is acheivable.

Especially when doing it by my own rules whereby used and DIY'd equipment is allowed. As well as kit of any size, weight, age and looks.

There are also valid technical reasons why a much less expensive system might sound better than a hugely expensive one, such as having a signal path with as few components (especially transistors, valves, transformers) in it as possible - for that midrange purity that comes with well executed simple signal path systems.

Plus it's possible that when you look at the internals of certain manufacturers, they may be of the same quality as ones from hugely expensive brands. With vast differences in price being down to the cost of the casing, plus different business models and overheads.

hi

if you can put a system together that sounds like this for 1% of the price i'm all ears literally !

(and no i'm not saying the above system is great value for money !).

Edited by Turk 182

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Video playback is not the most important issue. Playing back via a different system is. It is a flawed 'research tool' as it could give the wrong 'information'. This is different to it being 'about right' or 'good enough' to be useful. To use your flavour analogy, you could decide from a video that something is strawberry flavour when in reality it is chocolate.

I'm not expecting you to agree with this but I'm trying to make it clear that your arguments do not somehow counter what I have said.

There are very real recording quality issues too, and the video example I posted above provides a prime example, but I'm focusing on the system playback issue since this, for me, is what means the YouTube route can't be relied on to be useful at all. And crucially should never be used to make decisions on what to buy or even audition.

This has absolutely no relevance to the logical argument above but FWIW I have 'heard' differences between cables of all types and spent significant amounts of money on such in the past. I now recognise the very real challenges of identifying differences via sighted listening tests and, based on available evidence, do not believe that what I 'heard' was real. I did also go through a 'right, lets swap all these expensive cables, including mains leads, out of my system and see how different it sounds' test, and was disappointed to find myself hard-pushed to swear there was one. You will find that there are quite a few of the more experienced members here who have followed a similar path. 

I therefore now focus my time and money on areas likely to bring the largest improvements, notably speakers and room acoustics.

Lol, cool story, I was bored yesterday with this and had pretty much forgotten about it today. New week, new experiences so I'll move on with life and respect your decision to not understand/ignore much of whats been said. :)

Edited by The Chronicals

55 minutes ago, Turk 182 said:

hi

if you can put a system together that sounds like this for 1% of the price i'm all ears literally !

Matsui Hifi!

7 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

hi

I think that there was at least one at Owston on Saturday (details of this event on the Audio Talk forum).

Steve57's DIY'd red and black speakers with an inexpensive (used?) CD player, plus NVA P50SA pre-amp (bought used) plus NVA A20 power amp (I think?).

There were other systems there that I also really liked. However, I've had the benefit of hearing Steve's speakers several times and I'm confident that they are world class as well as being easy to drive and sounding great with every amplifier I've heard them with.

Get yourself to Owston next year, if you can. Or any event where Steve's speakers are playing.

51 minutes ago, lindsayt said:

I think that there was at least one at Owston on Saturday (details of this event on the Audio Talk forum).

Steve57's DIY'd red and black speakers with an inexpensive (used?) CD player, plus NVA P50SA pre-amp (bought used) plus NVA A20 power amp (I think?).

There were other systems there that I also really liked. However, I've had the benefit of hearing Steve's speakers several times and I'm confident that they are world class as well as being easy to drive and sounding great with every amplifier I've heard them with.

Get yourself to Owston next year, if you can. Or any event where Steve's speakers are playing.

hi again

i'll look into attending such a show in the future - its just finding the time !

i agree that the system in this thread is vastly expensive but personally i do like the looks of the kit - especially the speakers !

Mods,

Can we trim this thread back to the Op's original subject? 

The extent of personal abuse and patronising disdain contained in some of these posts is awful.  The involvement of Moderators in some of the tit for tat makes it worse.  These type of exchanges are mercifully few and far between but they do harm The Wam's reputation and attractiveness.

Best regards, FT 

• Like 1

The AUP is really quite succinct and covers all of this. If you (you, not on behalf of others) feel you have been personally attacked or abused, then report it and it will be acted on.

Otherwise, as always, just get on with it. Everyone here is supposed to be a grown up and this is just a hobby. It's a stereo system, nothing more.

The Wam is, and continues to be, in perfectly good health. Probably mostly because it is NOT over moderated. If you don't like the attitude of people, use the ignore function. The job of moderators here is most certainly not under any circumstances to start behaving like the thought police.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Agreed .