norliss

Dual 5v PSU?

Posted (edited)

I am (but probably shouldn't be!) considering getting a Chord Qutest DAC to use in conjunction with a Squeezebox Touch (currently using the stock PSU). I gather they both run on 5v albeit the Qutest is USB.

From what I've read, the jury seems to be out on the value of using a different PSU with the Qutest although it would be quite nice to cut down on the plug count so I wondered whether there were any good but not-too-expensive dual 5v PSUs out there that would fit the bill?

From a quick search I've seen that Teddy Pardo does one but it's $550 which is a bit rich for my blood. Any other options?

Edit: I appreciate that the SBT is 5v 3A whilst the Qutest is USB standard 5v 2A which possibly complicates matters...?

Edited by norliss

I'd use the stock PSU it comes with at first. Chord will have optimised their PSU I suspect, so it's difficult to credit that another would make a massive or even positive difference, and $550 is criminal whatever the outcome. A good linear supply with a decent regulator would probably cost £50 to make and install in an adequate box, for switching supplies it's a lot less, for thst eBay's your best bet.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, norliss said:

I am (but probably shouldn't be!) considering getting a Chord Qutest DAC to use in conjunction with a Squeezebox Touch (currently using the stock PSU). I gather they both run on 5v albeit the Qutest is USB.

From what I've read, the jury seems to be out on the value of using a different PSU with the Qutest although it would be quite nice to cut down on the plug count so I wondered whether there were any good but not-too-expensive dual 5v PSUs out there that would fit the bill?

From a quick search I've seen that Teddy Pardo does one but it's $550 which is a bit rich for my blood. Any other options?

Edit: I appreciate that the SBT is 5v 3A whilst the Qutest is USB standard 5v 2A which possibly complicates matters...?

Hi norliss...I use a LPSU from a company called jay's audio. I think it is a Chinese company. And I bought mine second hand for around 100 pounds. I've only ever used it on my Google CCA. But it has certainly tidied up the bass in my system. So maybe worth a punt if you can find them in eBay or aliexpress.

A few different points here.

First, with regard to the ratings, the voltage is what needs to be the same. If one unit needs a 2 amp supply and the other a 3 amp one, then a unit supplying both needs to be rated for 5 amps.

Second, I have seen, heard and owned some things that have benefitted from a linear power supply to replace the crappy wall plug type, but that depends primarily on the actual type of plug-in power supply and on the equipment being powered. As a rough guide, if something is built down to a price above all else, it's likely to potentially benefit. I would be surprised if the Chord showed any benefit, but I have no direct experience. I've previously had good results using a linear power supply with the original squeezebox, but I may well have been deluding myself, as I built it. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to test it blind, using the SB as a transport.

Third, power supplies not only reduce mains voltage to the operarting voltage of the equipment, but usually also filter out some nasties. In both directions. It is not unknown by any means for a piece of equipment to feed some rubbish back into its supply. For this reason alone, I would personally never power two different bits of this sort of equipment off the same low-voltage supply.

Your choice, but apart from saving one socket from use, I can't see any benefit in what you're suggesting, unless the power supply effectively has totally separate paths for each output. In which case, it would almost certainly be cheaper and better to buy two power supplies. Or in this case, possibly one for the SBT, or none at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Use some beefy outboard heatsinks and two of these can serve 5V well with single digit microvolts of noise. (Default is 1A, but only much better heatsinks are required to change this).

https://www.amb.org/audio/sigma11/

Since they don't use off-the-shelf LDO regulators, they tend to be able to swing very dynamic current changes really well (up to 18A transiently) - not that it would happen with a Qutest or SBT, just saying the PSU is very versatile.

A similar product exists using paralleled regulators for similar noise levels, but up to 3A of current output over at MPaudio.net: 

https://www.mpaudio.net/product-page/ms-hpuln-ps

Given current demand is likely to be fairly constant, this MP Audio supply may be the better option, but it is pricey.

Either way, these have noise levels so low they make the commercial Teddy Pardo, SBooster and similar look very under par.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabski said:

A few different points here.

First, with regard to the ratings, the voltage is what needs to be the same. If one unit needs a 2 amp supply and the other a 3 amp one, then a unit supplying both needs to be rated for 5 amps.

Second, I have seen, heard and owned some things that have benefitted from a linear power supply to replace the crappy wall plug type, but that depends primarily on the actual type of plug-in power supply and on the equipment being powered. As a rough guide, if something is built down to a price above all else, it's likely to potentially benefit. I would be surprised if the Chord showed any benefit, but I have no direct experience. I've previously had good results using a linear power supply with the original squeezebox, but I may well have been deluding myself, as I built it. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to test it blind, using the SB as a transport.

Third, power supplies not only reduce mains voltage to the operating voltage of the equipment, but usually also filter out some nasties. In both directions. It is not unknown by any means for a piece of equipment to feed some rubbish back into its supply. For this reason alone, I would personally never power two different bits of this sort of equipment off the same low-voltage supply.

Your choice, but apart from saving one socket from use, I can't see any benefit in what you're suggesting, unless the power supply effectively has totally separate paths for each output. In which case, it would almost certainly be cheaper and better to buy two power supplies. Or in this case, possibly one for the SBT, or none at all.

Thanks for this considered reply. My thinking was that I could potentially kill two birds with one stone, but given what you've said there's no point, really!